Having a broken glow plug removed tomorrow....need advice!!

Ralphpowell

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000,green
I am going tomorrow to have a broken glow plug removed tomorrow by a garage that works on foreign auto's, including VW.

I asked the guy if he has any experience removing broken glow plugs and he said no. But, claims he is good at removing broken bolts and spark plugs.

Is there anything in particular that I should be aware of? Any thing I should not allow him to do? I have no experience with removing broken plugs and I just want to make sure nothing catastrophic happens to my car. As always, thanks for the advice or tips.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Why not let him take a look at it and see? Not really anything you could tell him that he probably doesn't already know. That sort of thing is a case-by-case basis. Sometimes you can get them out with some patience and an extractor, sometimes the head has to come off.

Redrocketdi

TDI
2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen
I'm sure you looked but I'd find a shop that has done that before. I'm assuming no warranty?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
whatever you do, just pay with a MAJOR credit card, not a debit card from your bank. something you can dispute any charge on because its probably going to end in a battle over getting paid for a job that goes south.

TLH_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon
Unless you are ready to buy a new head, run it with the three good glow plugs that you have. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt, bought a new head. $800

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Warranty ....... payment with a credit card. Gees!

If someone brought that same job to me, I would proceed on the basis it may not turn out good and provide the individual with all the known possible outcomes. Now, what do you want me to do!

I tend to agree with TLH_TDI .... three good GPs, drive more and worry less!

Redrocketdi

TDI
2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen
Not everybody has multiple cars that they can have sitting. If my car went to ****, I'd need it fixed asap

Redrocketdi

TDI
2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen
Look under his user name in the post. It shows what car he has. Green 2000 Jetta, if people fill out their bio info. Just as it is in your postings. 2013 Sportwagon.
Yea lol I didnt look. [emoji23] well never mind on the warranty.

Redrocketdi

TDI
2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen
Look under his user name in the post. It shows what car he has. Green 2000 Jetta, if people fill out their bio info. Just as it is in your postings. 2013 Sportwagon.
Although, my 2013 will have warranty until 2024 thanks to diesel gate. But that didnt apply to his car. I just thought about it and how a 2013 will have warranty that long . Kinda crazy

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Here is another gp issue that by trying to remove it, got worse rather than better. I'm getting the cylinder head to repair.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=504264

I think someone who can take out spark plugs and bolts and never taken out a glow plug is going to be in trouble. If you read the other post, I'm quite clear about attempting a removal. It turns out in the other case, the gp was broken before he bought the car. Maybe why it got sold... who knows?

I have to agree that you should choose your battles. As long as the gp is not leaking, the engine will start on 3 gp's. Get it to someone with experience. NEVER use an EZ-Out, as we remove broken off EZ outs at a higher cost than removing a broken gp... extra hassle...

If the gp is not leaking and the car starts and runs, run it... Otherwise, if it takes more than 30 ft lbs with an accurate torque wrench and it will not turn, reverse direction and work it back and forth. If it still won't come out, leave it tight and do heating and cooling cycles applying penetrating oil, even over a week of daily application...work CAREFULLY with an ACCURATE torque wrench, back and forth. Don't rush it or you will break it.

Get the Vacuum reservoir out of the way, so you can get a straight shot at it. Two little bolts, and people would rather strip or break a gp instead of removing two bolts.

And as for the stuff about CC's, not paying, etc., don't come to my shop and pull that crap. I agree with AndyBees.

Last edited:

Black00Jetta

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Black 5spd
I don’t understand why someone asks for a suggestion on a problem/repair and then don’t take the advice from knowledgeable members (like Franko6 and many others). This site is the main reason I’ve had my Jetta for 18 years.

My time to thank all contributing members for their time and knowledge to us that are willing to learn!

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Haha...I just got home and you are exactly correct. The tip of the easy out broke inside it. Now what? any suggestions? thanks
does it leak ? i don't recall this being answered??
if its not leaking, forget about fixing it. your clearly not capable or willing to have it done correctly. 3 working glow plugs is ok, an oil pan heater will help a lot if your in freeze town.

300D

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6
Haha...I just got home and you are exactly correct. The tip of the easy out broke inside it. Now what? any suggestions? thanks
KLXD is the winner!

Actually, sorry to hear, but if the glow plug doesn't leak, then just drive it like it is. Yes, it's annoying to have the check engine light on(there are ways to get it to turn off, which I never figured out for mine), but trying harder to get that thing out will often result in more damage, which will cost more money.

If the glow plug leaks, pull it off and send it to Frank06. This will be your cheapest/best option and result in an even nicer head than you started with.

To test for a leak, spray with a soapy solution at start up and look for bubbles.

Good luck.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
i know people say that JB weld is a waste but i have used the marine putty mix stuff from JB weld on AC lines that see MUCH more wild temp fluctuations than a glow plug ever will and it holds up. worth a try at $4 at walmart if the GP leaks, just prep the heck out if it with compressed air and brake cleaner and use as much as you dare.

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
call me... Not my first rodeo. I show the picture of the busted off EZout that came with my warning. Yeah, my money was on broken EZout too.

We've seen the JB weld fix. And I'm not 'just some people'.

KiwiCanuck

TDI
Oops.. driving a gasser
I don’t understand why someone asks for a suggestion on a problem/repair and then don’t take the advice from knowledgeable members (like Franko6 and many others). This site is the main reason I’ve had my Jetta for 18 years.

My time to thank all contributing members for their time and knowledge to us that are willing to learn!
It’s just possible that the relevant suggestions came to the forum while the OP was offline.

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Kiwi, yes, you might be correct. The OP now has an email. We will discuss it, as he wishes.

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Glowplugs are not needed in most places. Should just let it be. Canada...maybe. If you have other means of preheating the engine, there is no need for glowplugs. Although I did replace mine, but it was to get rid of the check engine light. Def not for help with starting. I know easy for me to say since I have a Webasto.

TDI
96 glx variant tdi
Some of us have invested thousands of dollars procuring the correct equipment to do the job correctly. Broken glow plug removal is not a procedure for the tinkerer to practice his back yard skills with. For folks reading this post in the future, I have that equipment that cost thousands of dollars.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
Some of us have invested thousands of dollars procuring the correct equipment to do the job correctly. Broken glow plug removal is not a procedure for the tinkerer to practice his back yard skills with. For folks reading this post in the future, I have that equipment that cost thousands of dollars.
I was the first response to his initial thread (of the 3 he created on this topic) and told him to go to you. That advice (along with many others) fell on deaf ears. (Link below)
http://www.forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=504348

Last edited: