Hauling JSW behind RV, pros and cons?

rcnaylor

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportswagen Silver
I am thinking about hauling my 2014 behind an RV later this summer. It will be on a car hauler (front two wheels off the ground on a two wheeled carrier).

I have some concern about how long and relatively low the JSW is as far as dragging the rear bumper area going through dips.

Of course, if any other issues exist in using the JSW as the hauled car, I'd appreciate a heads up.

Revpeach

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta
I haul my Jetta sedan on a tow dolly. I haven't put a lot of miles on the set up but so far I haven't had any problems. I used to flat tow my other cars but I didn't like the way the tow bar adapters fit on the Jetta. In a front end bump or crash the adapter would transmit the impact straight to the frame, bypassing the cushioning effect of the bumper.

rcnaylor

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportswagen Silver
Thanks for giving me the benefit of your experience Revpeach.

Since it is a front wheel drive and will be on the tow dolly, I wasn't too worried about mechanical damage, but, my Jetta Sports Wagen is, relatively, so low and long, especially behind the wagen's rear wheels, I was afraid it might drag with the front elevated (on the dolly) and the back down, when going through dips, coming in and out of parking lots, etc.

Anyone hauled a JSW on a car dolly much?

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
Thanks for giving me the benefit of your experience Revpeach.

Since it is a front wheel drive and will be on the tow dolly, I wasn't too worried about mechanical damage, but, my Jetta Sports Wagen is, relatively, so low and long, especially behind the wagen's rear wheels, I was afraid it might drag with the front elevated (on the dolly) and the back down, when going through dips, coming in and out of parking lots, etc.

Anyone hauled a JSW on a car dolly much?
I haul my car behind my Monaco Diesel Pusher. My preferred method is I bought a flat bed car hauler( I bring my motorcycle along as well which is a bonus). A bit more work and length but no worries on dragging the ass end down the road. Works good. lots of used ones around,