Has VW done anything on the HPFP if over 60k powertrain warranty?

4 TUGGIN

TDI
09 Jetta DSG
Have a 09 jetta and the injection pump went out friday nite. I do not have an extended warranty and the car just turned 70k miles. Been reading about the pump on here alittle but was wanting to know if vw has fixed any cars that are out of the powertrain warranty? I'm going to call customer care on Monday to see what they will do for me. Its crazy that is takes over 6k to fix a fuel issue.

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
Sorry to hear about this, VW has repaired several fuel systems after the warranty period, on a case to case basis. How do you know your hpfp is bad? What dealer have you used in the past for warranty or maintenance? I use Pugi for warranty issues, they have treated me great, and would recommend them. Also what station are you fillin up at, I usually use the BP in Plano but they sell B11 which is not recommended for the CR engines. I believe VW specifies B5 is the highest percentage of biodiesel allowed on their newer diesels.

4 TUGGIN

TDI
09 Jetta DSG
went to Galena last weekend and filled it up at Stockon travel center. Big station with like 6 semi fill up lane so I would think the fuel would be good. Most of the time its filled up a Buds which is Citco fuel. Pulled top of fuel filter housing and filled with metal (looks like gold dust). Wife called on way home from work and said the car had a engine malfunction and she pulled over. I went to get her and I drove it the last five or so miles home and I could here a "knocking" of some sort that was'nt there before. Got home and opened hood with it running and sure sounded like the pump. Turned it off, later went to put it in the garage now it won't even start.Pushed in and pulled filter and found what I was NOT wanting to find!

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
went to Galena last weekend and filled it up at Stockon travel center. Big station with like 6 semi fill up lane so I would think the fuel would be good. Most of the time its filled up a Buds which is Citco fuel. Pulled top of fuel filter housing and filled with metal (looks like gold dust). Wife called on way home from work and said the car had a engine malfunction and she pulled over. I went to get her and I drove it the last five or so miles home and I could here a "knocking" of some sort that was'nt there before. Got home and opened hood with it running and sure sounded like the pump. Turned it off, later went to put it in the garage now it won't even start.Pushed in and pulled filter and found what I was NOT wanting to find!
Yikes, sure does sound like a hpfp failure to me. What dealer do you plan on having it towed to?

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
i bought is up in Schamburg at Fox Valley vw, but going to ottawa I guess. That where i get my oil.
That's cool, I know that a fellow TDI club member and moderator knows the parts guy at Ottawa. I'll pm him and ask if its ok that I post info pertaining to that dealer.

Last edited:

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
Sierra Motors in Ottawa has two good VW techs. I know they have done a few HPFP replacements under warranty. Don the parts guy is very good to work with.

You can tell them I recommended them to you.

Good luck.

:)

4 TUGGIN

TDI
09 Jetta DSG
hauled car down to Sierra today and dropped it off. They have to diagnosis the problem at a cost of $100-$200. (I guess the metal in the filter that I told them about and the car won't start ,isn'nt good enough to tell what's wrong!) Then they have to get the rep involved to see what vw is going to do. So I went to parts to get prices of parts incase I have to do the repairs my self, they couldn't even give me the amount because of not knowing the damage. I asked about the part # of 09 vs. 12 or 13 and they couldn't even figure out if its the same pump or a revised one. Mean while the parts kid was asking a mech. and service guy about the pump I found out they had a 11' JSW in there right now getting the entire fuel system replaced under the powerterrain waranty because of the bad HPFP. Parts kid said it was 6-8K for the parts. $1250 for new pump and 9XX for a reman pump and like 1k for each injector. All I know is that I don't want the same junk that is on the car now. I went and got a salesman to open up a new TDI and I was gonna get the # off that pump to compair it to nine. Needed my mech. mirror because its under the pump and I couldn't read it. Tried to take picture with phone but was to close to get a good shot at it. Now just a waiting game I guess.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
When the hpfp pukes, I'm not clear on how anything gets past the filter, to foul anything past that point. It would be understandable to assume the fuel lines from pump to filter are contaminated, but with a new filter, hpfp, Why is it so imperative to change injectors, lines, etc? Does the pump particles blow holes in the filter allowing debris to pass? I would doubt it. At some point, and that point has come for some people, VW won't pay for repair, so I would expect some here to take a really good look at repairing this problem in a practical manner rather than the obscene way of replacing lots of very expensive parts that have not been contaminated. Interesting that VW offers a rebuilt pump...its probably really a new one anyway, like many bosch "rebuilt" other parts. The concept of selling parts as rebuilt that are really new, accomplishes removing the core (broken part) from the aftermarket rebuilding industry.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
thundershorts, the HPFP is not the in-tank pump. It's on the engine ... AFTER (downstream of) the fuel filter. See response to your identical post in the other thread.

falcon_1898

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta 2.0L TDI
I remember seeing a schematic of the fuel system a while ago. The HPFP has a filter just upstream of it and another one on the overflow back to tank.

It's easy to understand why the injectors need to be changed, but didn't someone say the entire fuel system too needs to be replaced: including the fuel tank, lines, and the lifter pump? Is this the case or did I remember wrong?

Anyway, I'll see if I can dig up the pictures.

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
Any updates yet?
hauled car down to Sierra today and dropped it off. They have to diagnosis the problem at a cost of $100-$200. (I guess the metal in the filter that I told them about and the car won't start ,isn'nt good enough to tell what's wrong!) Then they have to get the rep involved to see what vw is going to do. So I went to parts to get prices of parts incase I have to do the repairs my self, they couldn't even give me the amount because of not knowing the damage. I asked about the part # of 09 vs. 12 or 13 and they couldn't even figure out if its the same pump or a revised one. Mean while the parts kid was asking a mech. and service guy about the pump I found out they had a 11' JSW in there right now getting the entire fuel system replaced under the powerterrain waranty because of the bad HPFP. Parts kid said it was 6-8K for the parts. $1250 for new pump and 9XX for a reman pump and like 1k for each injector. All I know is that I don't want the same junk that is on the car now. I went and got a salesman to open up a new TDI and I was gonna get the # off that pump to compair it to nine. Needed my mech. mirror because its under the pump and I couldn't read it. Tried to take picture with phone but was to close to get a good shot at it. Now just a waiting game I guess.

Claudio

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta SW
4 TUGGIN, you are il IL, do you know if the station where you usually fill up has B11? Most of the IL diesel is B11 because of the tax break