Has This Happened to Your TDi

Fueldog

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Wagon
Hi TDi owners, like myself..I am on my second TDi, just purchased a TDi Sedan Jetta.. three weeks after driving it the serpentine belt accessory belt that is on the outside which drives your A/C and Alternator shredded, because Plastic Idler Tension pull seized, cause the belt to shred and whined around the back side of the crankshaft.. Thus
belt debris pieces got into the Timing Belt Crankshaft Sprocket, causing engine to Die and jump time. As you know this is serious. because damage to valves train and possible piston, head and connection rods, etc.. As soon a the belt let go and this happened.. The engine stopped,, at the time this happened.. we did not know at that time what
happened as for the belt getting into the timing belt area.. we replaced the accessory serpentine belt and tension pully mechanism. But engine would not start and we had
fault code p0321 and p2015.
We took vehicle to VW dealership, upon repair they found serpentine belt got inside to the timing belt area from behind the crankshaft pully .. The retaining cover that is suppose to keep the timing belt from foreign materials entering is not designed to keep even a house mouse from entering the timing belt area.
Have any other of you TDi owners suffered this damage from the external serpentine belt getting behind the Crankshaft pully and into the Timing Belt and causing jumped time.. Please share with me.. I need to know if this has happened to others besides myself.
Thanks -Ric

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I've seen several mentions here on TDIClub of this kind of failure in the CBEA/CJAA engine. Last week one of my co-workers had the serp belt simply disappear off his '13 Golf. No damage, it was just gone.