Has cop ever checked your fuel line...?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
mechanics, vs inspection reports. i know one guy, Ingrum is his name, over here in jefferson md. he is truly the epitome of honesty and reality. if its dangerous to not fix, he will have you fix it or have it fixed. Rust " lol who cares" missing muffler, no you need that please. no BS. he passed my van with new wipers, muffler, (entire exhaust was shot) and let the 12 year old tires slide (eventually led to a major issue that chewed the fender off the van at 85mph down I70. then there are NTB shops that will throw every freaking single violation at you. my van had over 80 some violations for md inspections, from stickers on the side glass, to non moveable seats 9fixed do to tool rack and so on and so forth. anyone working for a chain, (NTB and so on) has a stick up there ars so far , they look like a scarecrow! Im talking about Merchants in Frederick on 40, they used to be privately owned, i worked for them for a few years. that's why i took the van to them. NOPE, no favors lol and they had changed over to NTB buy out, all the same staff but no favors due to corporate dictatorship.
Yea. 99.9% of anyone not privately owned is going to rat your behind out to the whoever about major law violations like non taxed fuel.

VincenzaV

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
n1das

I'm also in NH. This is the first I have ever heard of off-road diesel (price differences, fines, etc.) even being a thing. I've only had a diesel for three years or so. Makes sense since denatured alcohol is "poisoned" to prevent you from drinking it since no excise tax was paid on it.

The real elephant in the room, are you saying that a NH police department has a Jetta TDI as an unmarked car? What!?! Crazy. Never would have guessed that! I'm always playing the "Hmmm is THIS a cop car?" game. The lights are the first thing I see. But would have now expected a VW....

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Makes sense since denatured alcohol is "poisoned" to prevent you from drinking it since no excise tax was paid on it. ...
Denatured alcohol is typically methanol, rather than methanol added to ethanol. Methanol needs no poison as it is poison. Your body can't metabolize it very well, and when it breaks down in your eyeball, it becomes an acid that destroys the retina, hence blinds you. If you get to a hospital quickly enough you'll probably live, but you won't enjoy movies and TV nearly as much afterward.

But back to the original program: The livestock connection makes sense since those guys would have farm equipment that has no need for paying road tax. The only other example I have heard is anecdotal stories of construction sites that were raided in the same general manner as described above.

Personally, never seen a fuel check roadblock. Not even in Arizona. Checks for illegal aliens, sure, but not for dyed diesel.

Cheers,

PH

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
n1das

I'm also in NH. This is the first I have ever heard of off-road diesel (price differences, fines, etc.) even being a thing. I've only had a diesel for three years or so. Makes sense since denatured alcohol is "poisoned" to prevent you from drinking it since no excise tax was paid on it.

The real elephant in the room, are you saying that a NH police department has a Jetta TDI as an unmarked car? What!?! Crazy. Never would have guessed that! I'm always playing the "Hmmm is THIS a cop car?" game. The lights are the first thing I see. But would have now expected a VW....
A lot of us up here in the New England states heat with oil in the winter. Home heating oil is aka off-road diesel and is dyed red. The houses I grew up in had a big oil tank in the basement. Home heating oil and off-road diesel used to be different due to the higher Sulphur content in heating oil. Now that we are long past the transition period to ULSD, home heating oil and off-road diesel are ULSD and are one and the same since 2011. On-road diesel has been ULSD since 2006 in the USA. Even with ULSD our diesel fuel is still rotgut compared to what Europe gets to enjoy using.

Baycop's 06 Jetta TDI unmarked unit is in Texas, not NH. The video is from 2007. The car has probably been replaced by now. Still not a TDI I would want to see in my rear view mirror. LOL.

After 18 years and more than 900k miles logged in diesel vehicles since 2002, like PH I have never seen a fuel check roadblock.

Last edited:

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Fuel check points are agricultural area things. I've seen a couple in our area.
I'm a diesel mechanic, and I haven't reported vehicles for red diesel yet, but I've sure reported DOT violations... One dump truck comes to mind... Had all six brakes worn out, cracked drive axle, and many other things... I contacted highway patrol when I saw that truck hauling gravel for the highway department. (He was an independent contractor)
When we asked the guy who was testing fuel what we should do if we find red diesel, he said that we aren't required to report, but they appreciate if we do.