Has anyone used this strut tool?

najel

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 5 speed
Never personally seen these, but I wouldn't say they seem too cheap by any means. Only thing is aren't those nuts 6 point? And these look like they're 12 point. So be careful not to strip them.

mjydrafter

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
I used an old spark plug socket on mine, IIRC it was a 12 point, and worked just fine.

Spark plug socket is nice and deep, and it has the flats on it so you can hold it with a box wrench and still get an allen through the hole and into the strut.

Not the best option, but it worked and was basically free.:D

slevang

TDI
2002 NB TDI
Spark plug socket works great and is cheap, but this tool does solve one issue with that setup. You can't really make a normal click style torque wrench work, since you need a wrench on the socket and the allen out the top is counter holding. Beam style wrench would work on the allen, or a click style mated to a crows foot on the nut. Or just good and tight.

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I ended up taking one of the pass through head wrench sets and having a friendly machinist friend weld a 22mm onto one of the sockets in the set.

I was going to try my hand at welding it myself, but he offered, and had better tools to fixture it, not to mention more practice with TIG welding.

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Why use that when you can use airtools? If not everyone should get a cordless impact gun. I've stopped using my compressor for tasks require an impact. it's just so much faster.

The Horak

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI GL
Not recommended to use air tools when installing suspension.
You can damage the seals in the shock/strut.
Agreed. Great for removal though. I got them in and they seem legit. I'll let you guys know how they work, but I'm happy to have a good setup for the torque wrench.

QUOTE=najel;5271062]Never personally seen these, but I wouldn't say they seem too cheap by any means. Only thing is aren't those nuts 6 point? And these look like they're 12 point. So be careful not to strip them.[/QUOTE]

I guess I meant that compared to metalnerd, they're cheap.

Last edited:

The Horak

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI GL
Long story short, good not great. Because it's a cutout on the side, you can't keep turning the socket. It gets annoying. But it does the job for sure.