Has anyone upgraded their Lowline MFD to display Midline features?

ukguy

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Golf MK6 1.6 TDI Bluemotion Match
Hi all. I am hoping someone can help with the following:

I currently have the lowline MFD installed on my car. It basically displays the trip meter and time only. The actual dot matrix display is identical to a similiar car which has the midline MFD, apart from the fact that car also has a rocker switch on the control stalk.

Now if I were to replace my stalk with one with the rocker switch, would I be able to activate the MFD menu in Vagcom (MPG etc)? Has anyone tried this?

I love this feature but in the UK it was an option and the original purchaser didn't choose it for the sake of saving about GBP50.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

SVTWEB

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup-Edition EVO 4-Motion
I have a stalk if you need one... The conversion is dependant upon the steering wheel control module that you have. If you IM me your VIN i can lookup your module. It shoudl simply be a matter of the stalk, cluster, and possibly the OAT sensor, but if you have climatronic, you may not need that.

ukguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the reply SVTWEB. I have Vagcom and have looked up the part number for the Steering Wheel Control module, it shows as 1K0 953 549 A. You mention it could mean replacing the cluster, are the electronics in the cluster different from lowline to midline, or is it control module stuff? I ask because the actual display on the MFD is dot matrix and identical to a friends Golf and he has the midline from factory.

Thanks again!

ukguy

Veteran Member
TDI
maloosheck said:
You have to replace the cluster. Midline MFD is different then low line.
Am I right in saying that externally the Lowline and Midline MFD look physically identical? If that's the case, I guess there's some extrap chip or something internally that makes the midline MFD display what it does then...

Has anyone actually done the upgrade, if so, what it relatively easy. Would love to see a howto on this!

Thanks for the reply.

maloosheck

Veteran Member
TDI
2K6 1K2 BRM, 2K8 7L6 BWF, 85 16 MF
going from low-line to mid-line (called MFA in Europe) should be quite easy. swap the cluster, and program immo. To do the latter you need 2 PINs: from your immo and from the donor car immo. I forgot - you need a stalk w/button or steering wheel w/buttons and steering wheel controler capable of using these buttons.

going from low-line or mid-line to high-line (called MFA Plus in Europe) is a completely different story. I am working on a conversion. As soon as I find the high-line cluster for sale (they are quite rare here), I will let you know.

Last edited:

ukguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks very much for the reply there. I am beginning to come to terms with the fact it might be a more in depth job than I previously thought, which will probably lead to more expense. Appreciate the estimate of what's needed though, that is very beneficial to knowing where I stand!

Good luck in finding the highline, I will keep a lookout but to be honest haven't seen one for sale on the forums I frequent. I guess if people have the highline, there is nothing for them to upgrade to....unless it's from a scrapped car. Maybe consider contacting scrap car merchants in the UK? I will keep a lookout anyway for you and if I see anything, I will let you know.

Thanks again!

Adam

maloosheck

Veteran Member
TDI
2K6 1K2 BRM, 2K8 7L6 BWF, 85 16 MF
check out part number of the central comfort controller and steering wheel controller.

ukguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Comfort Controller shows as 1K0 959 433 T

Steering Wheel Controller shows as 1K0 953 549 A

Thanks.