Has anyone tried to put a BorgWarner BV43 on a 97 B4 ?

akal65

TDI
B4
I wish to get a bigger turbo and am wondering if the Borg Warner BV43 will go in ok .I hear an afn manifold is needed and alh N75 plus oil lines. on the manifold is this the intake we are talking about ? have any here done this and what suggestions do you have ?

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
AFN or BHW exhaust manifold will do.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
To run that turbo you will also need to purchase a tune and injector nozzle upgrade too.

Not sure how the BV43 compares to say the GT1749VA on the B5.5 but it looks like it must be an upgrade to that, which implies that you'll be going from 90 to over 130hp since the BHW is a 130hp in factory form.

Perhaps the BV43 is similar to the GT1749VB on the PD150 engines? Can't say because I a not that well versed on turbo stuff but it could be...

You shouldn't need to do anything at the intake manifold to support the BV43

Steve

akal65

TDI
B4
Thanks I have 764 nozzles and a stage 2 tune and a peliquin diff. just looking for more air.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
The BV43 is more than enough air.

It would be good to share the extent of what you already have when asking questions about upgraded turbo etc. Had you mentioned nozzles / tune before that would have alleviated the need to bring it up.

As an aside, the stage 2 won't work with the BV43 (or any VNT) turbo setup as it is. You'll have to go back to the vendor for changes and I'm pretty sure if you share your existing info with them they'll say stage 2 is insufficient.

One other thing to think about here too is the change to the exhaust downpipe attachment for the new turbo, the flange for the triple K won't work with BV43 but based on what others are saying the Mk4 / B5.5 tdi flange will.

Good luck!

Steve

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
Go with a pd130 intake manifold.

akal65

TDI
B4
s an aside, the stage 2 won't work with the BV43 (or any VNT) turbo setup as it is. You'll have to go back to the vendor for changes and I'm pretty sure if you share your existing info with them they'll say stage 2 is insufficient.

One other thing to think about here too is the change to the exhaust downpipe attachment for the new turbo, the flange for the triple K won't work with BV43 but based on what others are saying the Mk4 / B5.5 tdi flange will.
Thank you for the info.