Has anyone tried these HID Headlights?

Link977

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
AFSOC_Commando said:
Those look like the older Helix lights... E-mail the vendor and ask him who the manufacturer is.
I think they are made in Taiwan.
You are ok to use it but if you can to improve the output then find something else. The quality of the projector lens on these headlights are very low.

TheTDIWagonGuy

Registered Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Black 2003 Bora Wagon TDI
express Did you buy them? Thats really cheap considering the HID is installed already. No matter how you slice it these have to be better than the pos lights that are on our cars. Not to mention when they are pitted like crazy like mine.

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
There probably depo brand thats what my e codes were from them. Very nice lights

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
There probably depo brand thats what my e codes were from them. Very nice lights

iBran

TDI
2003 Golf
Sorry, but I think those look like junk. They're just some third-party headlamps with one of those generic plug-and-play HID kits. Illegal, and blinding to other drivers. They'd probably be okay with halogen bulbs, but no way with a cheap HID kit.

As it's been said before, if you're gonna do HID, do it right or don't bother. Get the OEM, or do it yourself with a retrofit using projectors designed for HIDs.

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
I have something close to those but from elsewhere and mine are Joey modded and are not HID. What it comes down to is this: (1) You will have to re-wire them (there is a good howto on vortex); (2) they are a pain in the ass to aim and will probably take a little time to get right (you cannot use the stock adjusters); (3) Probably a low end set of ballasts that may not last. The inclusion of the ballasts and the bulbs would easily run you $100.00 by themselves.

Now the part that will aggravate some. They are superior to any non-projector headlamps out there (yes even the fabled ecodes) dare I say. We were un-believers too until we did the side by side with the Hellas and the ecodes. These lights benefit from the simple fact that projectors are always superior to reflectors in directing the beam pattern instead of scattering the beam pattern. Please, before you opine otherwise, you need to do your own beam comparison testing. There are better versions of these out there that will run you closer to $500.00 but for the price with HID bulbs in them they are hard to beat.

express

TDI
99.5 Jetta
I have not bought any lights yet, I'm just starting to look for replacements. Mine are all pitted, but I am too cheap to buy the OEM ones. I aggree, they look cheap, but I would like to hear from someone that has these actual lights to see if they were ok or not. I know some of the aftermarket projectors are not all that they are cracked-up to be.

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
express said:
I have not bought any lights yet, I'm just starting to look for replacements. Mine are all pitted, but I am too cheap to buy the OEM ones. I aggree, they look cheap, but I would like to hear from someone that has these actual lights to see if they were ok or not. I know some of the aftermarket projectors are not all that they are cracked-up to be.
I have yet too see a "cheap set of projectors". By the time you purchase them and a decent set of bulbs you will have well north of $200 in them (i.e. decent set of bulbs/fog lamp wiring/euro switch). Projectors, such as the ones you are looking at will out perform all reflector lamps hands down (per my previous posted opinion). As far as whether you think they look cheap that is an opinion open to debate (I and others would disagree with you --- but it is your car).

Nitrowolf

Veteran Member
TDI
White 2003 Jetta TDI
There is no such thing as an H1 HID, there's D2S and D2R. I would seriously suspect them as being "not real" HIDs, since they list them as "H1 HIDs"

That said, a friend of mine has housing that look exactly like that (but they wern't sold as HIDs) and they look good. I would recommend them, if they are indeed the same. Not that much of a pain to wire up either.

scrapen

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
I personally think all of these cheap ebay ones are just headlight housings that are for looks. For example i have a truck that i bought those halo headlights for, only because i liked how they looked. It was labeled as "hid" in the title but that's just for marketing, as it only came w/ normal bulbs. However i have seen headlight housings w/ a H1 or H3 bulb or whatever to replace normal headlight but there's no way to hook them up unless you have an adaptor.

You could always buy those if you like how they look and just buy actual Hid conversion kits for $150 or so if you are looking to replace oem headlamps.

If i can find a lot of down time some weekend i wouldn't mind trying the joey mod first for my headlights before i buy some.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Notice how the brightest areas are on the outside of the circle. That means that the most light will fall right in front of the car, and off to the side of the road... not right under the cutoff where you need it most (distance). The kick up is also too high and will glare in the rear view mirror of a car in front of you.

Here is a more proper beam pattern:

The "hot spot" is right under the cutoff.

-Jason

02AutoWag

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon (5-speed swapped)
Ahh. The pattern looks good (e-code with cut-off), but the distribution within the pattern is poor (hotspot in the wrong location - should be in the top/center, not the edges of the pattern).

JettaSportTDi

Vendor
TDI
Jetta MK4 Sport Edition
Don't buy from them!

express said:
I would not buy any thing from EuroSport they screwed me over with my led tail lights. I had to rewire the whole control modual on both lights. They didn't return emails or questions after 3 weeks. If you buy something and it doesn't work they don't care. Pass the word around DON"T BUY FROM EUROSPORT GARAGE they don't back up the products they sell.:mad:

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
compu_85 said:
Notice how the brightest areas are on the outside of the circle. That means that the most light will fall right in front of the car, and off to the side of the road... not right under the cutoff where you need it most (distance). The kick up is also too high and will glare in the rear view mirror of a car in front of you.

Here is a more proper beam pattern:

The "hot spot" is right under the cutoff.

-Jason
That's not a proper HID projector beam pattern, since the flare goes too high and will glare in the rear view mirror of the car in front of you. Also, the pic is over-exposed, which is why you get the glob of light. Underexposing the pic will give you better detail on the beam pattern.

This is a nice HID projector beam pattern, using one of the best single xenon projectors out there

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
Isn't that a Japanese DOT/E-Code combo beam pattern? European legislation is pretty tight about the angle of the "kick" and I'm pretty sure the spec is the same for halogen and HID.

iBran

TDI
2003 Golf
20IndigoBlue02 said:
That's not a proper HID projector beam pattern, since the flare goes too high and will glare in the rear view mirror of the car in front of you. Also, the pic is over-exposed, which is why you get the glob of light. Underexposing the pic will give you better detail on the beam pattern.
The cutoff is fine. The pic he posted is of a set of headlamps designed for ECE regulations ("E-codes"), which have that ~15° upward bend on the right side (the bend would be on the left side for countries with LHD traffic, such as the UK)

The pic you posted has a cutoff designed for DOT regulations, which doesn't require the upward bend.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
iBran said:
The cutoff is fine. The pic he posted is of a set of headlamps designed for ECE regulations ("E-codes"), which have that ~15° upward bend on the right side (the bend would be on the left side for countries with LHD traffic, such as the UK)

The pic you posted has a cutoff designed for DOT regulations, which doesn't require the upward bend.
The pic I posted has an upward bend. Without the upward bend, it cannot illuminate road signs. There are no DOT HID projectors that does not have an upward bend

The flared pattern is only fine when they are designed for halogen projector applications.

The step pattern, is used for both DOT & ECE HID projectors. There are some minor differences.

For example: OEM MKIV HIDs

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Sorry, i meant for my post to show a proper halogen beam pattern... as the junk lights i pictured are (krappy) halogen units with HID drop ins. I also don't have much exposure control on my cheepie digicam. I'll have to mess with the settings.

-J

UncleFester

TDI
Seat Leon Cupra Tdi PD150
Having had HID in 'reflector' lights and now having them in projectors, there is no way i'd go back to halogen in relfectors or HID in reflectors and there is no way i'd use halogen in projectors. My dads X-type Jag is an early 04 model and came with projector lenses but fitted with halogen bulbs - the lights were so poor he'd been driving around with mainbeam on, since fitting the HID kit to his car, he hasn't had to main beam for anything other than flashing people. Bearing in mind a decent halogen bulb can cost £15 each here, an HID kit that costs £47 delivered in 3 days from China is a bargain, if it only lasts as long as a pair of halogen bulbs at almost the same price, it;s still a bargain. Funnily enough the set I bought 2 years ago from China is still working fine.

1. Beam scatter in lenses not designed for HID is attrocious, dazzling and dangerous for oncoming traffic.
2. Beam pattern is all over the place.
3. Halogen in projectors is nothing short of dangerous, the lightoutput is far too weak.
4. HID in projectors is the way forward - the lightoutput and beam quality has to be seen to be believed.
5. I have had mine through the MOT ( strict UK test to ensure the car is road legal) which passed the car with flying colours, i asked them to concentrate on the headlights to make sure they were aligned correctly, had good beam pattern and to check them to ensure they were not illegal. Needless to say, the car passed.

I would guess that all 'Eastern' brands of these use the same component parts inside, whether they're inside a $600 'US' made set or a $200 Chinese made set is quite possibly a moot point.

I have two sets of lights that i'm making into one ( doing a little project to make dual projector and HID lights) and have a pair of lights by FK and another set made by ULTRA, both contain the same projectors despite the other internals being slightly different - it's plain to see two different manufacturers are using the same supplier.

Ok the above pic doesn't show a high quality reflective coating on the back of the projector unit. For that reason, I wil be sending all of the projectors in my project off for recoating to make sure the reflective surface is of a standard i'm happy with. Anyone who has seen the low quality 'silver' plastic reflector coating used by MG on the MGF would be more than happy with the quality above in comparison to the pic below! See here for the full text

Personally I have to wonder whether the scaremongering is employed by people in the motoring trade who are trying to convince us that headlamp washers, slow self levelling and a price tag of almost £1000 on a new vehicle for OE Xenon kits is good value just because the kits are E marked, I would be interested to take a Hella ballast to bits to see just what is inside. I would suspect that it's the same components that are inside the 'elcheapo' Chinese kits - since China supplies a scary amount of what we think are major branded names, I would not be at all surprised.

Just my two cents :)

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
Back on topic, which was the offered light brand on ebay. I bought a pair from a different supplier that are not HID. As they look pretty to similar to the OP I would summarize it as follows:

THE GOOD:

1) Projectors are always superior to reflectors;
2) A 4 beam system is always superior to a 2 beam (hi/low) system. On a Jetta switching to a 4 beam system is excellent (you just have to jump number 3 and number 7 slots with a wire on your Euroswitch harness to have the lowbeams stay on when the hi-beams are activated). After jumping the wire you have hi and lows on when you go to hi-beams. Far superior to the stock Jetta setup (PLEASE DO NOT TRY TO JUMP 3 and 7 ON A 2 LAMP SYSTEM).
3) I would assume that the HID's are good and a cheap pair (i.e. ballasts) usually runs $100.00 or more. ( I have silverstars in my low beams and they are just plain fabulous).

THE BAD:

1) These lights are an absolute PITA to adjust as they do not use the factory adjustment spaces. Thus, to adjust them means you have to partially remove the bumper and pull the lights partly out to access the adjustment knobs. That is just BS and probably a deal ender for most.

2) You will have to re-wire the lights to match your factory harness. There is a good write up on the vortex forum howto do it. It is another PITA and totally BS.

3) Better be careful when you adjust them as too much turning could lead to a partial pop off of the CCFL ring.

IF I HAD TOO DO IT OVER AGAIN:

I would pass on these lights and would have spent a few extra bucks for a similar type set that do not need re-wiring and are adjustable using the factory mounts. As far as beam patterns are concerned there are three variables to consider: (1) the law and inspection requirements in your state; (2) not blinding fellow drivers; and (3) how they light up the roadway. Generally, and with all due respect to the "wall lighters" that is a starting point as is Mr. Stern's howto. A better focal point would be to show your beam pattern on a roadway at night showing high beams and low beams after meeting the requirements of number (1) and number (2). My opinion and yes I have been known to be wrong

Last edited:

carolinagolf

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2000 White
I bought a set of these a little over a month ago. The HIDs work great and are a tremendous improvement over stock. That said, these are for the frugally minded. While the headlamps are well sealed, much of the wiring is still exposed and requires work and focus by the installer to configure properly to avoid interferences. This is especially true on the driver's side where the battery leaves zero clearance for the HID tray. The ballast must be as far forward as possible to avoid excessive bending of the leads. Go ahead and buy some decent high beam bulbs also. The standard bulbs included are sad compared to the HID low beams. I'm holding off recommending these until I can exercise the warranty satisfactorily. I had a failure of a CCFL bulb last week and I don't think I should have to pay $42 to ship the headlight back and forth just to have a bulb warranteed. I'll update when and if a more reasonable solution is obtained. Anyone know where I can buy just the CCFL bulb rings? In the meantime I'm running with the eyes disconnected. Can't seem to live without the HIDs now :)

BTW, the harness was plug and play, no rewiring necessary. No matter which after market brand of this type of headlight you buy you will need to make sure the adjustment is done with the bumper off. Those fancy 90 degree adjusters that allow zero clearance adjustment with the lamps installed are expensive and when is the last time you actually used the ones the car came with?

Last edited:

carolinagolf

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2000 White
I'll give Eurosport a thumbs up for support so far. Through a series of about six emails today they were able to meet my needs, so they are responsive.
I was told the CCFLs are currently in the process of being changed by the manufacturer to a user replaceable design. Lifetime warrantys are nice, but it helps if the design makes it reasonably accomplishable. At least they recognize that. Cars and the environments we put them in can be brutal on components. So far so good with this transaction.