Has anyone returned a stripped TDI yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mk5tdi

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI/2011 JSW
Just wondering if anyone has returned a stripped TDI yet. Please, I'm not interested in hearing your thoughts on the ethics of me removing parts from my vehicle that is producing illegal emissions. I want to know if anyone has received full value with their vehicle not having a radio, etc.

I called VW and got two different answers before the one woman who said it would be fine said "I cannot confirm this is acceptable and nobody here can either."

toasters

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Just wondering if anyone has returned a stripped TDI yet. Please, I'm not interested in hearing your thoughts on the ethics of me removing parts from my vehicle that is producing illegal emissions. I want to know if anyone has received full value with their vehicle not having a radio, etc.
I called VW and got two different answers before the one woman who said it would be fine said "I cannot confirm this is acceptable and nobody here can either."
Did you see this guy?
https://www.reddit.com/r/tdi/comments/5evfvu/my_buyback_is_done/

mk5tdi

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI/2011 JSW
Wow! That is seriously ridiculous. I was going to pull the radio and replace all four wheels with spare tires (I have another TDI that I'm keeping for the full two years and I wouldn't mind some spare parts around).

jimbo1mcm

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 SEL TDI PREMIUM Blue 2015 SEL TDI PREMIUM's Silver and Blue
And I was worried about missing my cigarette lighter!!!!!!LMAO

mk5tdi

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI/2011 JSW
I honestly wonder if the car was actually turned in that way or if that's fake. Seems almost unbelievable!

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
I guess theft is acceptable to some.
Oh, ffs. It isn't theft. (Neither is VW taking a few days longer than expected to pay you for your car, as was claimed on a different thread). Please don't use words in a way that makes people stupider.

Michael A

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Touareg TDI Executive
Geez the LED headlight assemblies on my 2015 A3 are worth around $500-$700 EACH.

rbreding

TDI
2015 JSEL (buyback) 2015 PSEL (buyback) 2016 328d (keeper)
I've considered taking my adaptive headlights off my 2015 jetta sel since they aren't compensating for the lighting package option. No idea what I would do with the but they aren't paying me for them so.....

ccbsecu

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Executive TDi
I guess theft is acceptable to some. I prefer to live by a higher set of standards.
Terms of VW's agreement to buy back the car stipulates it only runs under it's own power.

The settlement specifically excludes any provisions for the physical condition of the car....otherwise the owners returning without DPF's would be in trouble:rolleyes:

kc1174

TDI
Was a 2015 A3 Prem Plus
Geez the LED headlight assemblies on my 2015 A3 are worth around $500-$700 EACH.
Sadly I leased mine, so turn in condition is the same as any other lease return. I may take the engine cover though as a souvenir. I did run a VIN report on the Audi Erwin site which lists everything the car came with, so am taking anything not listed since I bought an S3 the other week and those useless grocery hooks may come in handy one day.

nutfinn

TDI
2012 Jetta
My turn in date is one week from now. I was thinking about taking the spare tire & jack, but don't want to jeopardize anything :rolleyes:

So I am just going to wait and see what kind of information we get on this thread :)

C3156

Veteran Member
TDI
All sold
I purchased another MKV platform as a replacement. I have pulled all the aftermarket stuff from the TDI and moved it to the 'new' car. Before I turn it in, I plant to remove any spare parts that might be useful.

As my TDI is a gen 1, I don't expect a fix and it is going to the junkyard anyway.

Snufalufagus

Veteran Member
TDI
11 Golf TDI, 13 CC R-Line (wifey's)
Damn. Someone with a base model Golf could have a field day with swapping from mine. 2011 Golf TDI with Xenon Adaptive's, ever elusive Dina Audio system and year old upgraded Koni suspension and springs all the way around and rolling on new tires.

wilcharl

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI BOUGHT BACK 23 NOV 16. Now owner of 2016 Jeep Cherokee
I gave them back an extra tire and slightly bent rim. (left it in the trunk) and I ripped the TDI letters off the back to add to my tool box

Cayman

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
I returned my car today:

The buy back guy went out and took pictures of the front/back/sides of the car with his iPad, then the odometer. The car was in pristine condition except for a few minor things: when removing the autodimming mirror I had installed I broke the windshield, and there's a big gaping hole in the dash where my aftermarket stereo used to live. The claims guy could care less, he was trained to expect people to show up with no doors, trunk lid, hood, etc.. THE CONDITION OF THE CAR HAS NO BEARING ON THE BUY BACK. They don't care.

Cayman

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
It's exactly what the guy said, verbatim. I won't repeat it anymore, it was an attempt to help those folks who were interested.

builtospill

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
Haha, I'm totally gonna take out the RNS-315, Bi-xenons and dynaudio if anyone wants to buy and swap standard equip ;)
Although how does the new owner use the RNS-315, doesn't it need be activated on a new vehicle with a code or something, plus I doubt anyone wants the RNS-315, its the worst navigation system with cartoon maps.

Last edited:

duratitus

Veteran Member
TDI
Several different models. Selling them back to VW
It's exactly what the guy said, verbatim. I won't repeat it anymore, it was an attempt to help those folks who were interested.
Oh I don't mind if you repeat it, I was just wondering if he actually told you that. :)

It's great news for those of us who have damaged cars with a clear title. :D

Someone else was saying the guy he dealt with said they were not to go through with the transaction if parts were missing or the car was damaged, but if I'm reading it right, the condition should NOT affect the price in any way. :cool:

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
Someone else was saying the guy he dealt with said they were not to go through with the transaction if parts were missing or the car was damaged, but if I'm reading it right, the condition should NOT affect the price in any way. :cool:
The court documents state condition doesn't matter. Some customers are taking that to the extreme and now VW is recognizing they miscalculated both the sheer numbers of turn-in customers and a relatively unique consumption pattern within US society (stripping useless items from a vehicle under the assumption someone somewhere will buy them for any amount is one example). I wouldn't be surprised if wholesale stripping is addressed at the next hearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.