Has anyone returned a stripped TDI yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maybe368

Veteran Member
TDI
Happily none
You cannot take the restitution until AFTER the official fix has been applied. The only exception is if your TDI is totaled and cannot drive under its own power. In this condition, there is nothing to "fix".

I suspect that a buyback will be mandatory if the EPA and VW cannot agree on a fix, unless of course, you walk away WITH your TDI. Brian stated clearly that he will be doing the modifications. That means no restitution accepted.
What I am getting at is that it would seem a little disingenuous for someone to have bought these cars after the scandal broke, then question why someone might try to make a few bucks by stripping the cars (I don't agree with that either), then accept anything from VW. That is all...Mark

SuperDaveAPK

TDI
2009 Jetta
Holier Than Thou

It says "including certain options". I really fail to understand... well I fail to understand why you'd sell it back in the first place, but aside from that, I fail to understand why being paid (in most cases) MORE than the car's normal value BEFORE any news broke of this cheating is in some way "bad" for the vehicle owner in such a way as you'd want to further line your pockets by stripping the car. Or is it just a vindictive thing, and you want to do your part to kick a giant while it is down?
I think to the owners, Volkswagen is being MORE than fair in this deal. A lot of people are coming away with potentially having driven a nice new fuel efficient car for several years for free when it is all said and done.
What I fail to understand is the holier than thou attitude from members like yourself. How dare someone get rid of the best car ever made, right?

Oh, and I love your moral barometer that stripping a car before selling is somehow worse than re-selling cars you perform illegal mods to?

Do you get nose bleeds sitting atop a horse that high ?

autdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 NB, 2003 NB, 2006 Touareg, 2015 Jetta, 2013 Beetle, 2013 Touareg
I am practicing, but not in this field (and I want to be clear that I'm not representing nor giving legal advice to anyone here--that's what class counsel is for, or you can hire your own attorney if you choose). It will be interesting to see what comes of this, though. I wouldn't have a problem with a "clarification" from the court that the car has to be substantially complete, but if that's going to happen, it needs to be clear and come from the court, rather than VW just ad hoc deciding that it's the case.

Whether that's done or not, I think there will need to be some clarification on "operable." I don't read the requirements as saying the car has to be roadworthy (i.e., it would be safe and legal to drive an arbitrary distance on the roads, limited only by available fuel). Rather, I read it as a much more limited requirement:

• You can start the engine and it runs
  • You can put the car in gear and it moves, both in forward and reverse
  • You can steer the car in the desired direction
Of course, I have an obvious personal interest, since 7 Oct, in this being the correct answer, rather than a more restrictive "roadworthy" requirement, but I do think it's both a clearer and a more objective requirement.
First on the no representation, good call, the judge kicked all the other attorneys claiming they want payment to the curb. http://www.cand.uscourts.gov/filelibrary/2885/Order-re-Attorneys-Liens.pdf

Funny that every other word in the CAS document has been defined except driven, which is left in lower case. Combine with the word can, means it doesn't actually have to do it well, just that it can, so steering, it kinda goes in the way you want it would seem to get over the bar, granted it seems the bar is otherwise on the ground, so getting over it, well unless you're these guys https://youtu.be/rCyr1ugzxXM?t=92

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
Holy Cow

This site has certainly changed. A couple of years ago, this site was a place where people that appreciate the unique drivability and performance and/or economy characteristics of the TDI could share cool tweeks, modifications, and learn about chronic issues for certain models, save some time and yes, even save money some times. Now, we are faced with some tough decisions, one of which is whether to accept a generous (by litigation, but real) buyback, or refuse it and keep our car.

In the last 15 months, a bunch of angry mob types have swollen the ranks and changed the tone of the threads. I'll stop short here, except to say that I feel like I have to look through a lot of harsh, puerile, useless posts to find helpful and civil comments and help. Newbs may view some of the veterans here as snooty, but others, including most veterans on this site just appreciate the restraint and civility. We'll probably be here long after they are mostly gone and sold there burdensome vehicles. And we will still have a TDI, by hook, or by crook. ;)

If VW accepts your stripped VW, great, and good luck.

Last edited:

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
Just wondering if anyone has returned a stripped TDI yet. Please, I'm not interested in hearing your thoughts on the ethics of me removing parts from my vehicle that is producing illegal emissions. I want to know if anyone has received full value with their vehicle not having a radio, etc.
I called VW and got two different answers before the one woman who said it would be fine said "I cannot confirm this is acceptable and nobody here can either."

Interesting Thread

maybe368

Veteran Member
TDI
Happily none
I feel like I have to look through a lot of harsh, puerile, useless posts to find helpful and civil comments and help. Newbs may view some of the veterans here as snooty, but others, including most veterans on this site just appreciate the restraint and civility.
Well, I am not sure where the mobs are and when does someone become a non-noob? There is much hostility from both sides and the mods do a good job of controlling the worst. Do you not see hostile comments from both side? Or just from the side that doesn't agree with you? This sub-forum was created to keep the dieselgate stuff confined, probably for the reasons that you speak of. Do you watch South Park? If so you may have seen the recent ones where they talk about " 'memberberies", a comical way they poke fun at people wanting the good ole' days back ...Mark

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
This site has certainly changed. A couple of years ago, this site was a place where people that appreciate the unique drivability and performance and/or economy characteristics of the TDI could share cool tweeks, modifications, and learn about chronic issues for certain models, save some time and yes, even save money some times. Now, we are faced with some tough decisions, one of which is whether to accept a generous (by litigation, but real) buyback, or refuse it and keep our car.
In the last 15 months, a bunch of angry mob types have swollen the ranks and changed the tone of the threads. I'll stop short here, except to say that I feel like I have to look through a lot of harsh, puerile, useless posts to find helpful and civil comments and help. Newbs may view some of the veterans here as snooty, but others, including most veterans on this site just appreciate the restraint and civility. We'll probably be here long after they are mostly gone and sold there burdensome vehicles. And we will still have a TDI, by hook, or by crook. ;)
2nd time vw owner ~~ 1st was a gasser Golf 2003 GSL ~~ no real problems ~~ my 2015 TDI Golf makes me a newbie. ~~ in the buy back

in the last 15 months something happened DIESELGATE :mad::mad::mad:

wondering how you will have you vw TDIs (by hook or crook)?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke

Amen. Seems like we are turning into an entitlement society.

Virgil

TDI
2012 Jetta
Page 13, item 21 of the Diesel Emissions Settlements booklet clearly states "your vehicle value will be determined on the "clean trade in" value for that vehicle including certain options as published in the September 2015 edition of the National Automotive Dealerss Association (NADA) Used Car Guide"
I don't know how any of that could be misinterpreted to make anyone feel that stripping a car before selling it is OK.
I don't know what you think that quote has to do with whether it's OK to strip the car. Would you mind explaining? Because it isn't saying the car has to be in "clean" condition; it's saying the car will be valued as if it's in clean condition.
I'm saying the car value is being determined AS IF it's in clean condition with certain options. If these guys start pulling parts and drive in with a shell of a vehicle I think that's cheating of the worst kind.
If you put custom wheels and tires on, by all means take them off, but at least have 4 decent wheels and tires on for the buyback. Same with headlights, take out your HID bulbs, but put the originals back in.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
Ah, I think I see. I don't know that I'd agree with "decent" tires--if the tires are worn, I'm not going to put new tires on the car just to turn it in--but I also don't think you should really be swapping out your existing tires for worn-out used ones (and really, what good will it do you? Just drive the car if you want to get your use out of them). I likewise have trouble seeing a good reason to strip the car. I see it a little better in the case of options that aren't being compensated for, but even then it doesn't feel right to me.

Cayman

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
Many of us did some mods/upgrades to our cars, in my case I removed the following:

Candy white VW OEM rear spoiler
TDI license plate frame
Stainless steel exhaust tips
VW Grocery hooks (2 of 'em)
Sports pedals for automatic cars (dead pedal, brake, gas)
Summer mats
Winter Monster mats
Coverking Stormproof custom car cover
Colgan custom front bra
Weathertech custom heavy duty plastic trunk liner
Owner's manuals
Candy white touch up paint
First aid Kit
Aftermarket TDI sill plates
Jack and assorted tools
Pioneer head unit- this left a gaping hole in the dash
Self dimming mirror- caused a pretty good crack in the center of the windshield

What was not removed from the car:

Tint
LED lighting throughout
Michelin Primacy tires with 80% life on 'em
Foglights and associated switch
Auto on/off headlight unit
Auto on/off windshield wipers
Mudflaps
Transparent rear bumper cover
After market back up camera
Remote starter with 10 second delay (to allow the glow plugs to wake up)

I think VW got one helluva deal...so what if it's missing a radio and needs a new windshield

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ah, I think I see. I don't know that I'd agree with "decent" tires--if the tires are worn, I'm not going to put new tires on the car just to turn it in--but I also don't think you should really be swapping out your existing tires for worn-out used ones (and really, what good will it do you? Just drive the car if you want to get your use out of them). I likewise have trouble seeing a good reason to strip the car. I see it a little better in the case of options that aren't being compensated for, but even then it doesn't feel right to me.

none of the owners of pristine cars are getting a dime for CONDITION

much less the cars that are wrecked (but still start and run)

my buy back is in the future, worst I can figure at this time is one keyfob, and a swap out of 4 on the ground do-nut tires with steel wheels.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
How about flip it around. You paid $1k+ for HID headlights and get nothing for it in the settlement, should you just give back a $1000 option with nothing for it? Can repeat for various wheel combinations, and basically most of the options other than the sunroof, nav/fender radio, and auto trans.
Some people just don't get the concept of "settlement". You cannot participate in the settlement while refusing to participate in all terms of the settlement. If you felt the compensation formulae set forth in the settlement were unfair and unreasonable, you opt out of the settlement. You don't sign onto the settlement, and then, as a self help remedy, steal items off of the car you are turning in.

chadbag

Veteran Member
TDI
2x 2013 JSW (1 manual BOUGHT BACK 12/20/16, 1 DSG BOUGHT BACK 1/14/17), Audi A3 e-tron gas-plugin-hybrid, gas Volvo V60
Some people just don't get the concept of "settlement". You cannot participate in the settlement while refusing to participate in all terms of the settlement. If you felt the compensation formulae set forth in the settlement were unfair and unreasonable, you opt out of the settlement. You don't sign onto the settlement, and then, as a self help remedy, steal items off of the car you are turning in.

Seems VW has a problem participating in all the terms of the settlement as well.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
Seems VW has a problem participating in all the terms of the settlement as well.
You are equating willful behavior with having some problems coping 100% with an overwhelming response. Courts don't look at things that way.

And even if they did, a few days delay does not justify stealing things off of the car you are turning in.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
coming to the concept of entitlement---------------------

did you get what you paid for ?

a clean diesel ?

neither did I
Yeah, so far I have what I paid for plus $1000. To my mind it is still a clean diesel. One of the most environmentally friendly autos available.

chadbag

Veteran Member
TDI
2x 2013 JSW (1 manual BOUGHT BACK 12/20/16, 1 DSG BOUGHT BACK 1/14/17), Audi A3 e-tron gas-plugin-hybrid, gas Volvo V60
You are equating willful behavior with having some problems coping 100% with an overwhelming response. Courts don't look at things that way.

And even if they did, a few days delay does not justify stealing things off of the car you are turning in.
The settlement does not specify a condition check or the condition the car has to be in. It has to run on its own engine.

The car is "mine"* until turned in and so I* can do with it what I* want. At the time it is bought back, it becomes VW's car and taking stuff off after that point is stealing. Not before.

And since they make no requirement in the settlement for the condition of the car, I* can turn my car in as long as the settlement conditions are met.

SO VW is willfully, of the reports are true, not abiding by the settlement.

And the time delays are "willful" in that they knew it was coming but did not adequately prepare.

* = generic I/mine. I personally don't plan on doing this sort of thing.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
all may correct me, but the settlement terms say the car must drive itself under its' own power.

is there nothing more?

dirt?
dents?
scratches?
pet poo?
broken glass?
Spare tire-wheel?
'bout no fuel?
missing ALLOY wheels ~ replaced with steel wheels?
missing jack?
missing first aid kit?
banana tires?
neglected maintenance?
Burned out lights, bulbs?
2 keyfobs?
not functioning window wipers ~ front? rear?

vw ask for a load of crappolla when they elected to plass a condition "CONDITION" on the buy backs

it boils down to will it move under its' own power:D:D:D:D

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The settlement does not specify a condition check or the condition the car has to be in. It has to run on its own engine.

The car is "mine"* until turned in and so I* can do with it what I* want. At the time it is bought back, it becomes VW's car and taking stuff off after that point is stealing. Not before.

And since they make no requirement in the settlement for the condition of the car, I* can turn my car in as long as the settlement conditions are met.

SO VW is willfully, of the reports are true, not abiding by the settlement.

And the time delays are "willful" in that they knew it was coming but did not adequately prepare.

* = generic I/mine. I personally don't plan on doing this sort of thing.

Well said X 10

sabat

TDI
2013 Jetta 6spd
Who can tell me how to safely remove my airbag? I'm ticked that it's taking 3 times as long as I was told. This whole experience has left me with a horrible impression of VW.

autdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 NB, 2003 NB, 2006 Touareg, 2015 Jetta, 2013 Beetle, 2013 Touareg
Actually I quite well understand settlements, in exchange for returning an item completely identified in the settlement as a TDI from the range that this applies to, with the only stipulation on the condition that it be able to move under its own power, and nothing else, I would receive a check.

With the only condition being movement under own power, that means there has to be at least the engine and transmission in the car, some form of tire on at least most of the axles, fuel being delivered to the pump, and some means to start it, beyond that, there is nothing else required by the settlement to deliver on the customer side of the equation.

Taking a pile of parts off the car doesn't make sense unless you are whatever that firm was that had something like 5k of them, then you have enough parts to sell as a business, but still need somewhere to house them all, and it really devolves into a why bother case.

If someone has a couple and wanted to merge the best parts onto one and return the rest, I see no reason not to. Similarly, I see no reason to not swap non-adder parts, HID or wheels for instance, to a gas model staying on the road, or others keeping theirs. Personally I'd love to get a nav system at the adder price from someone returning theirs, rather than buy a new one at 2x or more. Same if anyone had HID beetle headlights. But that's just me, I'm not returning the car, so I won't be finding out one way or the other what they accept.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
What I fail to understand is the holier than thou attitude from members like yourself. How dare someone get rid of the best car ever made, right?
Oh, and I love your moral barometer that stripping a car before selling is somehow worse than re-selling cars you perform illegal mods to?
Do you get nose bleeds sitting atop a horse that high ?

Calm down, the cars were purchased by people AND THEN modified, as many, many people do. Yes, it is illegal. So was dipping my Passat's speedometer into the triple digit side on the way to work this morning. Sue me. :rolleyes:

And FWIW, all these cars were purchased by people who either already had an older TDI, or were not able to afford to buy a newer one when they were available. 10 years from now, all these cars will likely still be on the road, and we'll all still be able to breathe just fine. However, I myself would prefer to have the DPF intact and functional. I do not like stinky cars. Which is why I would rather wait to see if mine can be fixed.

Last edited:

bring

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta SEL, DSG
In the last 15 months, a bunch of angry mob types have swollen the ranks and changed the tone of the threads.

My experience on this forum has been that the angry mob types are oldtimers like you who apparently don't like people criticizing VW or diesels.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My experience on this forum has been that the angry mob types are old timers like you who apparently don't like people criticizing VW or diesels.

..... as a newbie

...... I feel 80 % ~~ 90 % the same as you

.... best part for me was watching the old guard saying the CAS was a waste of time.

$25,275.53 is a few $$$$s more than a car wash and a coupon for a candy bar:D

atomicfront

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta wagon tdi

I am guessing this is just in this subforum. Just skip this forum and you shouldn't have issues. Also I am sure this sub-forum didn't exist when you enjoyed the site the most.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
Any normal person would interpret the settlement's provision of allowing "any condition" to mean that wear and tear, road rash, dents, and normal damage encountered in ownership would not be penalizing factors. It does not mean you can intentionally disassemble the car and keep parts of it.

If you went to a restaurant, and they told you it was a "Chef's Special" secret recipe, would you accept the Chef spitting in your meal? Didn't think so.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.