Has anyone repaired engine cover "grommets?"

upsbroke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 NB and '13 JSW
I see that one of the 4 receiver "grommets" for my tdi engine cover has "caved in" and doesn't secure at that corner. As best as I can tell- there's no way to pull the broken piece out but I see replacement female grommets are available from VW but how do I fix this thing?

upsbroke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 NB and '13 JSW
Engine cover fix

I can't believe I'm the only one to have the female receiver piece- one of four- break- on the engine cover. I found the female grommet that fixes the problem from VW on Ebay. It's part number 07C-103-226 and with the help of a small plain screwdriver- it pops out and the new pops it. 60 second fix.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
At that price I would try a pick and pull yard. $7 to $20 each for a small piece of rubber is outrageous. No wonder so many covers end up missing.

upsbroke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 NB and '13 JSW
Salvage yard

At that price I would try a pick and pull yard. $7 to $20 each for a small piece of rubber is outrageous. No wonder so many covers end up missing.
I guess I see my time as worth more than that. Easy fix for under 20 bucks is a win in my book!

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
My dealer broke one of the four engine cover inserts on my 2012 TDI early on, and during the last DPF & EGR filter replacement they lost it. Good thing I checked right away, and they ordered a new one on their dime. Slightly different construction, but it popped in without a problem. I tried cleaning the engine cover in the dish washer, but that didn't do the job. Had to scrub it by hand.

icecap

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta TDI 5Spd Black Anthracite Pkg 1
I see that one of the 4 receiver "grommets" for my tdi engine cover has "caved in" and doesn't secure at that corner. As best as I can tell- there's no way to pull the broken piece out but I see replacement female grommets are available from VW but how do I fix this thing?

Replaced mine twice already. They don't last very long due to the vibration wearing down the lip that retains them. The first time I tried to order them the parts man spent ages trying to find them finally finding the number with the valve cover assembly.