Has anyone had a Jetta and Passat TDI? Questions inside...

az7000'

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI (gone), 2014 Passat TDI (gone), 2014 Touareg TDI (Amazing!)
Hi all,
I have searched and looking for real world comparison between the 2011-newer Jetta and 2012-newer Passat. I am looking at 2 2014 Passats, both great deals, a black and a white. We currently have a 2012 Jetta TDI and that is also a great car. My thoughts are used TDI's are about 3 months from going relatively extinct for a good deal anyway, thinking the prices may go up as the inventory goes down.

I was initially looking Passat but we went with the Jetta and I got one of those priceless moments from the wife, I think you were right, we should have got the Passat. Reasons are for our now 3 yo and road trips with more room. The car seat is a bit tight also in the Jetta.

A few of my main questions, The Jetta has lots of PEP, how does the Passat with the motor tuned for the DEF? How often do you need the DPF (I think it has it). Does it still get up and go if needed, this is mostly a highway road trip car so 82 on cruise is how we run the Jetta.

Any other thoughts are welcome. Thanks!!

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
I had a Sportwagen TDI before the Passat. The Passat has a lot more room, but it doesn't handle the same. There are a lot of recalls and extended warranty items on the Passats. If you need the back seat leg room get the Passat or check out the A6.

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat sedan and 05 wagen
I had a 13 Passat sel prem I was so glad when they crushed it, horrible car, nothing worked right, my only comment on it.
Then I got a 13 jetta sportwagen se dsg, lovely car handled well, nice feel, plenty of power, freeway no problem, nice mileage, lots of storage, I loved driving up mountains, fantastic torque.
I now have a 15 Passat se, I like this car the best, has all the qualities of the sportwagen and more, nicer ride, larger cabin, lots of pickup, changing lanes on the freeway, no problem. Artistic cabin treatments, overall just a nice car! 82 this car would just be idling.
I believe I have the best lineup for cars an 05 for daily a 15 to travel in a 69 chevelle ss 396 to show off and fill in my mid-life crisis.

Last edited:

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I believe I have the best lineup for cars an 05 for daily a 15 to travel in a 69 chevelle ss 396 to show off and fill in my mid-life crisis.
I'll take the 396 Chevelle over both of them. :D (1970 is the sweet spot for them)

I agree with afarfalla on the 15 Passat. Better get one before the "turn in" happens.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
I'll take the 396 Chevelle over both of them. :D (1970 is the sweet spot for them)

I agree with afarfalla on the 15 Passat. Better get one before the "turn in" happens.

I just got my 2015 Passat TDI Highline (USA SEL Premium) on May 31st with 5,500 miles on it. I have 3 years warranty left and also bought an extra 2 more years from VW to cover my butt. Will be interesting to see how the Passat will handle going 2,500 miles via KY, TN and Mexican mountains. But have a lot more room now and probably will have an empty back seat.

Had a 2002 Jetta TDI with .205 nozzles and a tune. Car went like stink even fully loaded down. My average mileage over the last 5 years was 48 Mpg Imperial. I can already tell the handling on the Jetta was much better.

senez

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat DSG
This may not apply directly, since you're looking at 2014s...

I had a 2014 Jetta until it was totaled and then upgraded to a 2015 Passat.

Passat is a much nicer car from fit and finish to refined ride. Way more room. I honestly can't think of any redeeming qualities of the Jetta relative to the Passat.

az7000'

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks all, I'm sure ill learn about the recalls. It's a dealer buyback from before the "scandal" so 12/12,000 from when we get it for the warranty. Probably a lemon law buy back.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
I've driven both (23,000 miles on the passat, 2,000 on the jetta, plus 35,000 on a beetle). Pep wise - not much difference, ride quality - hands down passat, space - passat, fuel mileage - passat. Jetta & passat are both 2014 sel tdi dsg. Passat takes def - 2 -2.5 gallon jugs will get you 10,000 miles plus.

az7000'

Veteran Member
TDI
We pulled the trigger, my secret TDI fountain that sells vw buybacks used to have a dozen, down to 2 by last week and we drove down and they only had a black one left, if the guy backs out on the white one we can exchange it tuesday. 16,000 miles and 22K out the door. Love it so far, more stable, doesn't seem to have the hesitation off the line of the Jetta when not in S mode. Way more bells and whistles, power sear, auto headlights, gauges and a better info system. From Phx to Flagstaff today at 81 on cruise in-between traffic and we are at 7000' the computer said 40.1

Now I may be dreaming but I think we will be able to sell the Jetta and get good money back from VW but I think I may get 1/2 the bonus money on the Passat! The lookup tool said eligible and it was at the non VW dealer for 300 + days so I get 1/2 I think. Pretty cool to get a better car and a 3Kish rebate!

Best of all we love the car so far.... Thanks for the replies above.

DASH

TDI
2005.5 Jetta TDI / 2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium
I might be a little out of your scope but since I have had both a Jetta (2005.5 MKV) TDI and now a 3 week old new to me 2012 Passat SEL Premium...

There are things that I like about my Passat more than the jetta but... there are also things I liked in the Jetta more than the Passat.

Leg Room goes to the Passat, the back seat is bigger and better suited for my 3 children, one in a car seat.

Handling goes to the Jetta (for the moment), granted I have the Jetta on coil overs and it is lowered by 2/2.5" so it sits right. The Passat floats, soaks up bumps well but if I try to take a turn spirited I feel it getting squirrelly. I'll be looking to lower it by about an inch or so to help remove some of this.

Seating Position goes to the Jetta, I seem to be sitting higher in the seat of the Passat (thinking about it now, its probably all the Power Seat "stuff") I keep bumping my head in the Passat.

The Seats go to the Passat the seat is more comfortable.

Trunk Space this one is a tie. The trunk in the Jetta is deeper than the Passat but the trunk is slightly longer.

There are more things that I could go on about but those were the things that were right on the tip of the tongue.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
The Passat is bigger, but the tuning on its engine is smoother than the Jetta IMHO. It will get the same, or better fuel economy than a Jetta. Passats also have a fully independent suspension.

-J

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
We have the '13 Passat indicated in my sig. I have driven our son's '13 Jetta TDI and a '15 Jetta TSI we rented for a weeks' vacation. There is really not much comparison between the two. I cannot drive the Jetta comfortably over long distances (I'm 6'6"), and the Passat is bigger and more comfortable in every other way— real back seat, huge trunk. And, as has been noted, the Passat is an SCR emissions vehicle and uses AdBlue. Ours uses most of a 2.5 gal. jug ($8 at Rural King) every 10K.
I think the Jetta handles better, but given its size, that's not surprising.
For our uses, it's Passat all the way.

brokecity

TDI
2014 A6 TDI 108k
My 14 6M Passat is way more comfortable than my 13 JSW DSG, more room and 8mpg better economy. If anyone has to ride in the back seat the JSW always stays home.