Has anyone ever converted a Hyundai Elantra

brucetmoose

Veteran Member
TDI
Used to own a 2002 Jetta TDI - Black/Black
I have this 2009 Hyundai Elantra which I like somewhat ( seats are too short though, will have to get something if I keep it ) - but other than that, I like the car.

The other thing I don't like is the mileage. Has anyone ever tried to convert one of these to a TDI ?

Or should I just wait 2+ years and buy a new one ( old one was destroyed during an accident, god rest it's soul ).

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
No offence at all, but a good TDI engine deserves better! Wait the two years or so and trade in the Hyundai for a TDI!

WVU TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE 6m
AndyBees said:
No offence at all, but a good TDI engine deserves better! Wait the two years or so and trade in the Hyundai for a TDI!
Seriously.

Plus, I thought those little Elantra got some pretty killer mileage. Why else would you even consider it? Cheap to buy can't be that big of an argument considering the used car market in the price range.

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
2000 Audi A4 1.9TDI quattro
Isn't the engine orientation flip flopped like many other Asian vehicles?

Sounds like a bad idea. I drove around in a 2 year old Hyundai and it had more squeaks, rattles and hardware that would fall from the dash area than my 8 year old VW at the time.

brucetmoose

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm going to buy a TDI - the elantra just isn't comfortable enough

Hopefully the 2013/2014 TDI's will have more options and I'll have more choices - I'd love to go to the EU and bring a polo over here. I'm also thinking about going the kit car route with a MKIV engine and making it light weight. I saw the thread on the kit car, will have to check it out again.

Roving TDI

TDI
Custom ALH Audi 90CSQ
Well it would be 150% illegal to swap the TDi into the gasser crap-box in this fine country.... and simply silly. At least start with a better platform. I will admit the newer Hyundai is a better car than they were even a few years ago but..... *really?* :)

brucetmoose

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm not quite sure it's illegal - but your other point about platform hit the mark

Hey Roving;

After driving my car for one year and 38,000+ miles, I can honestly say that my 2002 beat the crap out of my 2009 in every way imaginable. MPG's, comfort, passing power, comfort, you name it - my 2002 tops the 2009 elantra - and it's not even close. My wife owns a 2008 elantra, and she says the same thing. One thing to note - we are tall ( she's taller than me ), and the seats are just too short to be comfortable. Maybe for someone who has a smaller frame it's ok, but for people over 5' 10", it's not. Please note we're not a bunch of huge overweight slobs, it's just that we are taller than average between our butts and our knees.

So I gave up on this idea for one reason that you mentioned - platform. The Hyundai is just too bleeping uncomfortable ( I'm keeping this post G-rated, add your own cuss words as you see fit ) to even want to try it. I'd rather buy a used 2002 or 2003 and go with that than go with the 2009. And given the lack of response to this thread, I'd have to say the majority of people agree.