Has anyone else written to VW customer Care hotline over diesel gate?

rotts4u

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Before Diesel Gate hit the news I was thinking about trading my 2013 TDI Passat because I wanted a new car and I didn't want to perform the 80K service. So I went to a dealer and drove a Honda Hybrid as my first test drive. I was planning on trying all the hybrids such as Ford, Toyota, Hyundai and of course the Passat TDI was on my list too.

At the time the Honda dealer was very interested in my TDI for trade. A week later the news hit and then they would not even trade with me at all because they can't sell the TDI which I understand. Now I am forced to perform the 80K service which I was trying to avoid. I contacted VW and advised them of my situation and asked if they would at least help me a little with a discount on the major service since it was diesel gate that prevented me from trading cars. I tried an online chat, Facebook DM and an email. I finally got an email today and was politely told no they would not offer me any assistance with the service even though the car can't be traded in at this time. They assured me they were committed to my satisfaction etc but then said no they will not help me with a discount.

I guess I didn't really expect that they would do much if anything but it was worth asking for a I guess. Has anyone else tried to contact them and gotten anywhere?

czeetah

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat 6MT / Opera Red
They lied to you, the Honda dealer can take your car and sell it.

You can sell it.

Only thing not being sold is new and VW CPO

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
I wouldn't expect (or ask) for a discount on a service that was known about when the car was purchased just because you couldn't get rid of it before it was due. If I was buying the car from you, I'd discount it heavily for skipping it (and do it myself). But - you should be able to recoup some of that cost by having all services performed.

dropnosky

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta 6 speed, 2012 Passat DSG
Chances are thousands have written demanding or requesting compensation for everything from vehicle maintenence to carpet stains in their home. Im surprised they responded at all honestly.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
They're about to issue you (and everyone else) a gift card that can be used to perform your dreaded 80,000 mile service (or anything else that the dealership offers; service, parts, etc.). Take advantage of it and keep the car until you know where you stand with the whole dieselgate issue.

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
Chances are thousands have written demanding or requesting compensation for everything from vehicle maintenence to carpet stains in their home. Im surprised they responded at all honestly.
Yup. I wrote them demanding a set of dubs as compensation for my monetary losses.

Not really, but yeah...I did write in and they responded with what I assume was the same cut & paste letter that everyone else received.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
It's interesting how many people continue to be taken in by the siren song of a car as an "investment" that has some guaranteed liquidity or value. Even the actual investments we own (not cars!) has all sorts of fine print and disclaimers as to their value, something on the order of "These shares are subject to market fluctuation and may go up, down, or end up being paper for the cat to go on." I remember my uncle bought a lot of like that— Canadian uranium stock that was pretty to look at, but ended up not being worth a nickel.
Go look at your car. Now look at your toaster. They do different things, but they're both consumer products. The automobile is the most expensive consumer product most people will ever buy, and that is all.

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
It's interesting how many people continue to be taken in by the siren song of a car as an "investment" that has some guaranteed liquidity or value. Even the actual investments we own (not cars!) has all sorts of fine print and disclaimers as to their value, something on the order of "These shares are subject to market fluctuation and may go up, down, or end up being paper for the cat to go on." I remember my uncle bought a lot of like that— Canadian uranium stock that was pretty to look at, but ended up not being worth a nickel.
Go look at your car. Now look at your toaster. They do different things, but they're both consumer products. The automobile is the most expensive consumer product most people will ever buy, and that is all.
I don't think many people are stupid enough to think of the average passenger vehicle as an "investment." However, I think that many people tend to gravitate towards vehicles that...based upon research... have a good chance of being worth a decent percentage of the original purchase price 'x' years after the date of purchase.

Jbratstdi

TDI
2012 Passat SEL-Sold Diesel Gate
They're about to issue you (and everyone else) a gift card that can be used to perform your dreaded 80,000 mile service (or anything else that the dealership offers; service, parts, etc.). Take advantage of it and keep the car until you know where you stand with the whole dieselgate issue.
Yep article says there will be two cards 1- 500.00 2- 750.00 the second card can be used only at dealers for services , etc and assocories will use my for 80K for sure 70k will already be deeply discounted due to a previousvmixup ;)

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
I can see this statement if you take that card: " If the respondent cashes this card they forfeit the right to sue....etc, etc etc."
Yep, a very important thing to check when they issue them. Since I have two TDIs in my name, obviously I expect something for both. But if these cards come with any strings attached, not gonna take them.

I do see that you can still buy brand new Touareg TDIs, although I thought I had heard there was a stop sale on them as well. The EPA claim only listed the 2014 Touareg, so in theory the 2015-16 should remain available.

ChadS99SVT

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG
Before Diesel Gate hit the news I was thinking about trading my 2013 TDI Passat because I wanted a new car and I didn't want to perform the 80K service. So I went to a dealer and drove a Honda Hybrid as my first test drive. I was planning on trying all the hybrids such as Ford, Toyota, Hyundai and of course the Passat TDI was on my list too.
At the time the Honda dealer was very interested in my TDI for trade. A week later the news hit and then they would not even trade with me at all because they can't sell the TDI which I understand. Now I am forced to perform the 80K service which I was trying to avoid. I contacted VW and advised them of my situation and asked if they would at least help me a little with a discount on the major service since it was diesel gate that prevented me from trading cars. I tried an online chat, Facebook DM and an email. I finally got an email today and was politely told no they would not offer me any assistance with the service even though the car can't be traded in at this time. They assured me they were committed to my satisfaction etc but then said no they will not help me with a discount.
I guess I didn't really expect that they would do much if anything but it was worth asking for a I guess. Has anyone else tried to contact them and gotten anywhere?
I'm in the exact same shoes as you. Exact! Had my car listed on autotrader was working to sell private party. Entertaining some trade in offers etc. I wanted out of the TDI before my 80k service and before I have to face any major repairs. Im about to cross 78k miles. Now I can't do anything and even VW is low balling the hell out of me.

I thought of calling and still plan to so I can at least document my frustration and feelings of their brand. It's a bummer they with do anything. They have yet to prove that they do really care about our satisfaction. I have very little hope.

Last edited:

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
Yep, a very important thing to check when they issue them. Since I have two TDIs in my name, obviously I expect something for both. But if these cards come with any strings attached, not gonna take them.

I do see that you can still buy brand new Touareg TDIs, although I thought I had heard there was a stop sale on them as well. The EPA claim only listed the 2014 Touareg, so in theory the 2015-16 should remain available.
Same here. I really hope for their sake that they aren't stupid enough to require something like that (i.e. Sign a waiver of some kind). If they do...I can see that ticking off people that weren't already riled up.

rotts4u

Veteran Member
TDI
None
They lied to you, the Honda dealer can take your car and sell it.

You can sell it.

Only thing not being sold is new and VW CPO

I think though technically you are correct meaning they may be able to "legally" sell a used VW TDI that is part of diesel gate, I imagine the market price is very very low as is the demand for them until there is a resolution to the emissions problem. Which is they they don't want them. So I don't think they are willing to make an offer to trade for one as is the case in many dealers I bet.

kconnor123

TDI
2012 VW passat
Back to the original story...

Let me get this straight, you went to VW, told them you were planning on dumping their Passat, and buying a honda. And them immediately asked for a discount on the 80K service to be performed and you can't figure out why they won't give you that discount?

Hhhhmmmmmmm.

rotts4u

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Back to the original story...

Let me get this straight, you went to VW, told them you were planning on dumping their Passat, and buying a honda. And them immediately asked for a discount on the 80K service to be performed and you can't figure out why they won't give you that discount?

Hhhhmmmmmmm.
No Silly, of course thats not how it went down. I never mentioned Honda Hybrid to them. :D