Has Anybody Had a Problem-Free Pano Sunroof Experience?

MowglitheManCub

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Greetings...new to this forum. Bought a used 2014 JSW about a month ago. It's in great condition, a buyback model, 41k miles, a CPO, with plenty of warranty coverage left. Wasn't aware of the all the sunroof probs until I started reading this forum and others. Goodness! My question now is this: has anyone on this forum NOT had problems with his/her pano sunroof? It feels like everybody has had issues.

So far, I've only used the sunroof once and everything seemed to be fine. However, it hasn't been rained on yet. Part of me wants to leave it out in the next rainfall, just to see what happens, while any repairs would still be covered.

Thoughts, anyone? I know this is a well-discussed topic on these forums, but the more I search the topic, the more discouraged I get!

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Thoughts, anyone? I know this is a well-discussed topic on these forums, but the more I search the topic, the more discouraged I get!
Ive had my C.P.O. for 1 year now. I love mine. They have caused some owners grief. Don't get discouraged over it. In the U.S. anyway its part of the upper package. Do you park outdoors? I keep it closed to keep large stuff out. I at least hope that helps.

If you are a D.I.Y. guy you may consider dropping the headliner to seal the joints where the tubes connect and snip the tube exit openings. It 9 years old and like a new slider

I initially had an open and closing alignment issue that CPO covered a recalibration adjustment. I later realized the battery change was the cause. It can depend on your dealer for coverage. I've read of a few here that have had a track replacement even the effected water stained interior parts were covered. Me? After the adjustment I noticed light water stains, they wouldn't cover the effected(?) trim.

There are several issues related to the "pano" I'm aware of.
* leakage due to the tubes clogging and some report tube connections leaking. You can snip the "check valve" at the ends to prevent blockage.
* Easy D.I.Y. procedure if the open/close alignment goes wack. There are some cracked frame post here, but Id bet they used the roof while having opening & closing type issues first.
* rare glass breakage... some say tint will heat and shatter the glass. That seems to be pretty much debunked. I live in a very hot, sunny climate (100*+) and have 3m dark ceramic tint @ 20%. Sunroof now ENJOYABLE
* slider cover material glue separation. I don't open or close it in extreme conditions or drive with air pressure from open windows on it while it is closed.

Last edited:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I had a pano roof for over 110k miles ('till VW bought it back) and it was trouble free. However to be honest, I rarely opened it except to vent hot air by opening the back side. Also I live in a desert so leaks were not an issue because rain is very rare. My only complaint was the heat gain (greenhouse effect) in the desert sun.

Even though I personally didn't have any serious issues with the pano roof, I did make a point of making certain that my next car did not have one. My pure white steel roof with full headliner is far better at keeping the interior cooler, plus I always welcome simplicity. I just like fewer things that can (and eventually will) break. If they were available, I would pay extra for window cranks - I have replaced too many window regulators over the years.

Have Fun!

Don

MowglitheManCub

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Thanks for the responses and the encouragement. I will say that we noticed some water staining on the retractable sunscreen. We cleaned it off and have had no problems since. No evidence of prior water intrusion anywhere else. The car sleeps in the garage and hasn't been rained on since we bought it, despite the second-wettest winter on record here. But I know it'll get wet eventually!

I'm guessing (hoping) that some of the reported problems were caused by improper use. Others perhaps caused by poor design (Why close the end of the drain valve?). I also understand that folks are more likely to post their problems rather than their positive experiences.

Regardless of any problems, I plan to have some serious fun with this car!

prsa01

Veteran Member
TDI
14 jsw 6m, 96 B4v, miss my a4 :(
No problems so far with my '14 other than creeks and groans in cold weather. BUT, it lives the easy life garaged and rarely parked under dirty trees,etc.

I think at least some of the drain clogging issues are exacerbated by being parked outside under trees. How rainy a climate you are in likely is a factor as well.

When I swap off the snows,this spring, I'll run some trimmer line up the drains and see how clean they seem.

Last edited:

03GolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW DSG and '11 JSW DSG
The '11 (knock on wood) is still just fine, no leaks and the shade is the original.

My '12 - you can see my thread a little ways down on the multiple issues with it. I think VW CPO warranty has probably spent $5k+ on the roof on that car. New sunshade, new drain tubes, new headliner (x2), new carpet and a new frame seal. Was not leaking first 5-6 months of ownership but something happened between months 6-11 and found it when I got a flat and the spare well was half full of water.

On the bright side the new frame seal on my '12 has stopped all the creaking - its not the thick rubber gasket, its the fuzzy perimeter seal that you can see from the exterior when the roof is closed.

I'm ok with it for now that basically everything has been replaced, does not give me the warm and fuzzies for when the CPO warranty expires in 1 year.

CheapBastard

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW
I’ve had my non COO, salvaged wagen that got totaled in the rear for around 8 months now, I’ve opened the pano up maybe a couple dozen times, no leaks or problems yet.

ewdysar

TDI
2014 JSW TDi 6m
I bought my ‘14 JSW with pano roof new. Always parked outdoors. Never had an issue with the sunroof. No leaks, little noise. Light water marks on the shade from leaving the sunroof in “vent” mode when I didn’t know rain was coming after I parked the car.

No regrets getting the sunroof, and my 3yo daughter loves it.

Pharcyde145

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
I too have a pano in my '11 JSW. I generally don't use it over 50mph since the windscreen/deflector netting isn't terribly effective above that and it creates a bit of noise or drone almost. I had an old Saab 9-5 with sunroof and when open you would never be able to tell it was so silent.

I use it the most when I'm sleeping in the car. With the rears folded down and the roof wide open it makes for a nice view when I'm on a pretty desolate BLM road.

Maintenance will be your savior. I try to clean and lube mine 3-4 times a year, if you use it a lot or deal with lots of pollen, pine needles, dust or blowing sand you'll want to be more frequent.

Wilkins kind enough to give me some great tips when I had the same worries as you. He told me about "VW special lubricant G000 450 02 which is about as large as a tube of toothpaste. Probably last 10 years, you don’t need much. "

Learning how to get the roof into maintenance position, taking the time to clean (with either paint thinner or similar) the rails and contact surfaces of the sliding pins on the roof and the slots in the front where they rest in when closed before lubing it up with a bent Q-tip. This will prevent any debris/dust/grit that does get in there from being trapped in there causing wear.

Also remember the seals/weather stripping that interface with the sliding roof are 360* around and become less effective and will creak and groan with age if left unattended. Hit all exposed areas of them with either a dab of the lubricant or some 303 protectant to keep it as fresh as you can.

As other have mentioned parking under tree's or at angles that force the majority of water to pool towards only one drain (4 drains, one in each corner) will overwhelm the system and present any potential leaks quickly.

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
I have always had noises from the every Pano Roof my wife and I have owned.

2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Mk7 Golf TDI and our current pano quipped Mk7 GTI gasser.

No leaks just various noises. VW replaced the entire frame on her GTI about two years ago for a crunching noise from the frame going over even the slightest bump. It is better now, but not silent.

I much prefer the style of my Mk6 Golf TDI, roof. Smaller but no issues.

03GolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW DSG and '11 JSW DSG
I've searched but can't find info on "VW sunroof maintenance position".
What's that?
Thanks!
You hold the knob past the "comfort" detent which slides the roof back another few inches - gives a little easier access to the seal that runs across the front of the fixed portion of the glass and more of the track.

Also recalibrate mode - hold switch downwards (like you would be closing from vent position), might take a dozen seconds or so but the roof will partially open then close back up again. Said to help with some creaks and rattles and other random issues.

VicGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW Golf Wagon, 97 Golf Turbo Diesel
You hold the knob past the "comfort" detent which slides the roof back another few inches - gives a little easier access to the seal that runs across the front of the fixed portion of the glass and more of the track.
Also recalibrate mode - hold switch downwards (like you would be closing from vent position), might take a dozen seconds or so but the roof will partially open then close back up again. Said to help with some creaks and rattles and other random issues.

Thanks for that info.

I had to look up 'recalibrate' after I replaced the battery. Sunroof wouldn't close -it got within an inch of being closed, then opened again. Rainstorm was predicted, so I was highly motivated. Apparently it has to do with 'recalibrating' the finger pinching safety 'feature'.

Reading the comments here, it seems that some folks believe that you need to have the sunroof open a lot to get plugged drains. Not so, according to my experience. The drains can get plugged with very fine debris that makes it's way past the edges of the glass. That surround isn't a waterproof and dirtproof seal, so the drains have to work even if (like me) you hardly ever have the sunroof panel retracted.