Hard Start / No Start - Is your intercooler frozen? Check Here!

02 jetta

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta gls sedan
I recently traded in our 09 tiguan for a 2013 Jetta tdi. After reading this thread I am sure my wife has experienced this 3 times in the last 3 months. None of the times it locked up just hard to start and missing on start up. Took it for the 10k service and they said nothing came up on the computer when I complained about the issue. hmmm I wonder why. I will covering up the front of the intercooler to try to keep the intake temps. Good thing I still have my 03 with 210k on it. I am not going to screw around with headaches after warranty I will trade it back in on a tiguan. We put 25k on that with zero issues didn't even get 8k before problems with this one.

Mfisher

TDI
2010 Jetta sedan
After draining my intercooler (when they first diagnosed this) i drove about 30 miles and my car had another issue requiring it to be towed to the dealer(every light on the dash blinked, the alarm spontaneously went off and then the car died...in a carwash on christmas eve-the dealer couldn't find anything wrong...ya!) During diagnosis, they said it had water in the intercooler again.

Note, i did NOT opt for the intercooler upgrade. This is an issue that can develop rapidly!

conjett

TDI
2010 Sportswagen
Just had my 2010 JSW TDI ~53K miles towed to the dealer after it wouldn't start last night when the temps dipped below freezing. The dealer confirmed it was an iced intercooler. I have the Fidelity Platinum extended warranty which they claim will cover it. They even provided a loaner car so I didn't have to deal with getting a rental car.
The technician said it was the worst case he'd ever seen and showed me the iced sludge.

He stated all the intercooler kits they have upgraded thus far have not had repeat issues, although I guess the historic arctic weather this week ought to be a great test for that.
At any rate after having my dpf replaced earlier this week under warranty, I am going to start looking for another vehicle since in my experience the current generation of diesels are still in beta especially with the pathetically pithy warranty.

Samcar222

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Salsa Red JSW TDI
Slight incident to report - 2010 JSW TDI with rev two 0*C IC TSB installed. Car also had lower IC grille blocked with foam pipe insulation at time of cold weather driving.

Driving to the local mall December 30 2013 (engine barely gets up to full temp as per water gauge) in 16-17*F temperatures with humidity ranging from 70-78%. Dew point between 8 and 10*F. Leave house at 3pm, park car, car cools, leave mall at 9:30 pm. (Data from wunderground historical, rochester ny.)

Today Jan 4 2014, started car in 25*F temps with very low humidity (25-30%), drove to mall. Parked for 90 minutes in beating sunshine in rising temps to 38*F. Coming home, the car started and backed out of the spot fine, then when I accelerated gently in parking lot (1800 rpm) I felt a slight vibration from the engine, *much* lower intensity than my original hard start last winter (which was a lumpy vibration at idle, *no* stall). Last winter incident was with the IC kit, but no IC pipe block in similar atmospheric conditions, but was a result of 40 minutes of highway driving. This new occurrence wasn't the partial throttle hesitation these motors are known for cold, ours really never did that.

Car was fine coming home and I nervously opened it up to 3k rpm a few times when warm, nice and smooth, no issues.
Interesting. Sorry for info overload, I wanted to be as specific as possible. I plan to run the IDparts upper and lower grille block from now on in appropriate conditions. Just have to trim the license plate frame tabs....

ps.. I'm assuming this new TSB (10*c vs 0*c flap activation) includes a completely new intercooler and plumbing, not just reprograming of the flap activation temperature? Thoughts?

Last edited:

fastpete

TDI
Jetta
My story, long story short. Im from the Chicago area, you know the kind of winter were having. 2013 Jetta TDI, intercooler icing issue popped up. Was able to drive it to the dealer.

Its 11 months old, 41K I drive a lot. Out of warranty technically. Dealer wanted to charge me, so I called VW and started a case. Next day I got a call their taking care of it 100%, so im happy. Only thing im out is the part of the rental, they will cover up to $35 a day, think im at $40 or so. Ya I shouldn't be out of anything, but I feel pretty lucky I wont push it. I will have it back Monday or Tuesday. I will report back.

Pete

02PSDV8

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, Silver
So it sounds like the 12's and '13's are doing this too? What about the '14's? If that's the case I may steer clear of of new '14 Passat I'm looking at.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
So it sounds like the 12's and '13's are doing this too? What about the '14's? If that's the case I may steer clear of of new '14 Passat I'm looking at.
The new Passat has an air-to-water intercooler that does not suffer from this problem.

bmble b

TDI
2010 TDI Sedan
Anyone in New England have an issue today? My wife started our car this morning, temps around 40 degrees (not freezing conditions). She managed to get it started after a few attempts. Car has had the intercooler update about 2 years ago with no known issues since until today.

Got Haggis?

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf DSG
well I live in Baltimore and I may have had the issue this morning. I parked my car on Friday (it was snowing) - did not drive it all weekend, it was quite cold friday and saturday, but warmed up quite a bit sunday (rain + 40's) - I park my car on the street. When I went to start my car this morning, it would not turn over. After the 3rd try, it did turn over, ran roughly for a few seconds, then seemed fine. I was parked in a place that I had to move my car by 9am, so drove to a new spot and shut it off for a few minutes. Tried starting it again and it started without any issues. I'm wondering if this is the intercooler issue? I'm at 47k, so I assume this isn't covered under warranty which really blows. I did end up driving the car to work...it was around 40 degrees...but the cold front is passing and its going to get down to well below freezing...hopefully the car starts when i leave work

Last edited:

conjett

TDI
2010 Sportswagen
Update on my issue. Dealer service department called to say that extended warranty has denied updating the intercooler that was iced over the weekend because the part did not technically fail after the service department told me they would be covering it when I dropped it off on Saturday. So I've started a claim with the VoA consumer advocate which they are escalating to the regional manager. Hope they cover some or all of the cost.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
Update on my issue. Dealer service department called to say that extended warranty has denied updating the intercooler that was iced over the weekend because the part did not technically fail after the service department told me they would be covering it when I dropped it off on Saturday. So I've started a claim with the VoA consumer advocate which they are escalating to the regional manager. Hope they cover some or all of the cost.
They should cover it They know about the problem.

fredzy

TDI
2015 WRX
Slight incident to report

Coming home, the car started and backed out of the spot fine, then when I accelerated gently in parking lot (1800 rpm) I felt a slight vibration from the engine, *much* lower intensity than my original hard start last winter (which was a lumpy vibration at idle, *no* stall).
If VW gave me $1 for every time my car did this, I'd have a nicer car right now ;)

I wish my car would have waited til I got rolling to choke down a big gulp one of those times (you know, before my warranty expired.) That way, after I picked up all of the pieces I could get NHTSA to get VW to do the right thing :D

dellaware

TDI
2010 JSW TDI AT
well I live in Baltimore and I may have had the issue this morning. I parked my car on Friday (it was snowing) - did not drive it all weekend, it was quite cold friday and saturday, but warmed up quite a bit sunday (rain + 40's) - I park my car on the street. When I went to start my car this morning, it would not turn over. After the 3rd try, it did turn over, ran roughly for a few seconds, then seemed fine. I was parked in a place that I had to move my car by 9am, so drove to a new spot and shut it off for a few minutes. Tried starting it again and it started without any issues. I'm wondering if this is the intercooler issue? I'm at 47k, so I assume this isn't covered under warranty which really blows. I did end up driving the car to work...it was around 40 degrees...but the cold front is passing and its going to get down to well below freezing...hopefully the car starts when i leave work
Very similar thing happened to me this weekend. And I have 45K on mine. Trying to figure out what to do, probably will call a stealer.

Claudio

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta SW
i had the kit installed on my 09 a couple of years ago, however my car is not starting now after sitting for the weekend in the driveway (with snow, and today and yesterday temperature of -15F)...do i need a garage to drain it or is it something i can do from above, outside?

fdizz

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf 6MT
You have to get under the car, take the belly pan off, loosen the clamp on the passenger side hose of the intercooler and drain the goop out and wipe the hose out with a rag. I am going to repeat this every oil change as I had my first hard start about a month ago and had quite a bit of goop in there. I went from -5f to 45f in less than 24 hours, which is what I think the culprit was.

Here is a pic for reference of the hose..

Last edited:

kje

TDI
2013 TDI Sportwagen 6 spd
I think this just happened to my 2013 sportwagen. Car has 12k on it located in DFW TX. 12 mile drive to work in morning was twenty some degrees outside. When I got off work at 6 it had gotten up to like 5o. The car started normal the died after 2 seconds. I went to start again and it acted like dead battery.

Seeing how it cranked normal on initial start up I didn't believe it was the battery dead. I tried a few more times to start, and it would barely turn over. After a few minutes of looking under the hood for something obvious, I tried again and it started for a second and then died. When I tried again motor seemed locked again. Then it hit me, this thing acts like it's hydra locked.

At first I did not even consider that a new car with 12k on it that has had zero problems and was running fine when I parked it could be locked up.

Then I found this thread. I am pissed to say the least. I will call the dealer this morning.

STRANGETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Audi A3 S-Line Premium Plus Quattro - APR Stage II
I am not immune....Looks like a had a one of my first noticable hiccups with this issue after none going into my third winter.

Very cold the past 2 days. I park in the garage (first winter with a garage) which is typically above freezing.

This morning I started the car and she sputtered (sort of like misfiring) for a few seconds then smoothed out to normal. Put the car in reverse and back out the driveway, and it starts to sputter again as I get out of the driveway. I put it in 1st and gently accellerate, and after about 25 ft or so of going forward, she's fine again. I was totally fine all the way to work.

I try to drive in a gear lower than normal on the below freezing days to keep the RPMs above 2K, as some have indicated, and I did the same on the way to work today. It has been said by 2micron that driving style has no impact on the IC. I think I beleive him now. I don't baby the car too much, as I get it to 4K RPMs at least once a day.

Instead of getting the intercooler drain, I may use part of my Xmas bonus and get a Malone tune instead.

Has anybody with a tune, who also parks in a garage, had an IC issue since having the tune completed?

kje

TDI
2013 TDI Sportwagen 6 spd
Update

I pulled the CAC lines off and only got about a tablespoon of water from the inlet line, none from the outlet. I bumped car over and it started and died a couple of times. The third try it started and ran rough for a while then smoothed out.

I called the dealer and they told me they had never heard of one hydra locking before. They are ordering the upgrade kit and I am sceduled to drop it of monday.

I wonder if the egr system did not exist if this problem would go away.

Is this problem rare in North Texas?

Last edited:

conjett

TDI
2010 Sportswagen
My case (2010 JSW ~53000) was approved for the intercooler update today by VW customer care and should be installed tomorrow. Luckily, they have the part in stock.

ticketed2much

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
Has anybody with a tune, who also parks in a garage, had an IC issue since having the tune completed?
I too was wondering this. Asked in another thread somewhere and didn't get any response. IMO if the engine pulls more air through the intake, less water should build up. You should be the gunea pig and try it since you have a garage! :D

dirtysouthjacket

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI Premium 6MT, 2004 Jetta TDI GLS (sold)
I think I'm a victim as well. 2012 Jetta TDI with around 38k miles. Tried to start the car yesterday to leave work and the car started and then immediately died. Being as I live in Columbia, SC thought I was immune. Coincidently, it never got about 25deg with a low of 14 yesterday which is very rare for this area. Usually it doesn't even get below 25 at night.

Anyways, my dealer (McDaniels) has never heard of the problem. The only reason I have used them is because the first three services are covered on the new cars. I had just had my 30k service done in late summer. The dealer wants to check for codes and if none match the TSB, they don't want to warranty any work. If there are no codes, they are also going to happily charge me a $115 diagnostic fee since I am out of the 36k mile warranty.

I started a call with VWoA. They said they would have the regional case manager call me back in 48 hours. I'm towing it over to the dealer tonight.

I've *****ed enough about it at work today that I don't think I need to here. :eek: Seems like the recent cold snap woke up a lot of MKVI TDI gremlins...

cristoaca

TDI
2015 VW Golf TDI S
You have to get under the car, take the belly pan off, loosen the clamp on the passenger side hose of the intercooler and drain the goop out and wipe the hose out with a rag. I am going to repeat this every oil change as I had my first hard start about a month ago and had quite a bit of goop in there. I went from -5f to 45f in less than 24 hours, which is what I think the culprit was.

Here is a pic for reference of the hose..
I am planning to do what you recommended in your post as my car didn't start today in the afternoon either (above freezing) but did in the morning (20 degrees). Will the dealer do anything different than what you advised? If not, I could try to jack the car up and drain the hose myself.
Thanks to this forum, I was aware of what the issue might be and stopped cranking it after 4 short attempts. (It ran for about 5 seconds at first, then died) How much damage could have that caused? Thank you for your help.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Just a reminder to all of the new folks in the thread...

If you have experienced symptoms of intercooler icing, please fill out this quick survey so we can keep a record of this across forum members (your zip code, vehicle make and year will be added to a map database).

Intercooler Icing Survey

Note: I'm not currently updating the data on the map due to the large number of responses. Once I figure out a way to map all of the data for free (or for a reasonable price), I will submit all of the backlogged reports. Please do not submit multiple reports for the same vehicle.

ctmoore79

TDI
2012 Golf
Looks like I may have a case of intercooler icing here in NC (Golf ~ 19000 mi)Temps here Monday night into Wednesday morning were below freezing. Car was kept outside during this time and driven about 80 miles. Got off of work on Wednesday and tried to start the car. I only tried 4 times and the last time it almost started but seemed rough and cut off. I called the dealer that I purchased it from and they are going to look at it today.

Side note everyone wanted to know if I needed a jump, thinking that it was my battery, but I politely declined. I am the only one with a TDI at my job. Also, it took VW Roadside 2 hrs. to line up a tow truck and then another hour for the driver to get to me. At least I was able to get a ride out to get a loaner from the dealer and wait in it until the tow truck arrived. Finally dropped my car off at the dealership at 8pm.

I will update when I hear back from the dealer today.

ctmoore79

TDI
2012 Golf
Update, just got a call from the dealership. They told me about the TSB on the intercooler and that they have ordered the parts and are going to perform the fix tomorrow.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
Update

I pulled the CAC lines off and only got about a tablespoon of water from the inlet line, none from the outlet. I bumped car over and it started and died a couple of times. The third try it started and ran rough for a while then smoothed out.

I called the dealer and they told me they had never heard of one hydra locking before. They are ordering the upgrade kit and I am sceduled to drop it of monday.

I wonder if the egr system did not exist if this problem would go away.

Is this problem rare in North Texas?
Yes ,but that will never happen.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
If the LP EGR system didn't exist, it would not be a problem.

Because the newest Golf/Jetta class wagon with a TDI would have a BEW.