hard start/no start. air in fuel lines. whereto look next?

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Check and see if you have the old style black CTS or the new style green CTS, preferably you want the green.
How many miles are on the car now.
Do you know when the last time your thermostat was changed?
The reason why timing was brought up is if the timing is retarded in cold weather it's harder to start. Most people set it slightly advanced.

BTW 38 is downright balmy. :)

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
Check and see if you have the old style black CTS or the new style green CTS, preferably you want the green.
How many miles are on the car now.
Do you know when the last time your thermostat was changed?
The reason why timing was brought up is if the timing is retarded in cold weather it's harder to start. Most people set it slightly advanced.

BTW 38 is downright balmy. :)
Okay, so I thought it was more of a timing "issue." so being as I'm here in Florida, and I cry about mid 30-40 temps, I probably shouldnt concider advancing my timing. As it likely won't be hitting cold temps to often.
I'll investigate the CTS and Tstat when I wake up alil more.

195,000. I've owned it for 15,000 I personally haven't changed the Tstat. Don't have a clue when the previous owner has/did.

Balmy, yeah right! 38 is pushing it for Florida, if it hits 36 I think Florida will issue a state of emergency! :)

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Up here if it's 36 im walking around in a tee shirt and shorts :).

Walley

TDI
03 and 04 Jetta Wagons
Either way, make sure you replace the CTS and thermostat at the same time. I'm still not 100% convinced that my non-OEM CTS was the problem. I was getting the CEL and P0128 code intermittenly. This meant that either my CTS was bad, or my t-stat was bad, so I changed them both just to be safe.

38F is barely cold enough to where the glow plugs make a difference. My noob guess is that your t-stat is a problem (generally cool running temp), and your CTS might be bad, but these are not the reason for the hard start.

Next cold (below 40F) morning. Disconnect your CTS before you start the car. This will let the glow pulgs cycle longer (probably not necessary as mentioned above). If the hard start problem persists, then the issue likely isn't your CTS.

Last edited: