Happy birthday to my tdi!!

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Bora and 2016 Touareg
So my '01 Jetta TDI is 10 years old today! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

Hard to believe that it's been that long since it rolled off the showroom floor. Not only has it been the most enjoyable car I've ever owned, but it's also the most costly!! Not in a fix-another-thing kind of way but in a mod-and-upgrade-the-hell-out-of-it way! :D I've logged a meager 207K km on the car (due to the fact that for the past 5 years I've driven a second vehicle during the winter months and stored the Jetta) but they've been the most fun and entertaining 207K kms I've ever driven and I still get a grin on my face when I go for a .. ahem .. "spirited" drive!

So in closing, here's to another 10 years! Who knows what's in store for the Jetta next? (hint hint!)

Dodoma

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta White
With the tenth anniversary, please delineate the costs involved in regular oil changes, air and fuel filter changes, burnt bulbs, brake lite switch replacing, turbo failures, injection pump patching, number of times tires replaced, glove box replacing, speedo fixing, MAF replacing, brake pads replacing, rust issues, fuel cost, etc. If you had been investing those costs, you may not need to save for your retirement.

MattRabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE TDI, 2014 Beetle TDI, 1981 Rabbit Diesel
My Golf is 10 years old in February. I'm up to 215K miles on it (time for a timing belt at 220K!)

In that time, I've paid for:

a couple MAF sensors
clutch
injectors
2 timing belt changes
18 oil changes
a bunch of tail lights and headlights
one EGR Valve
an intake cleaning
4 sets of tires
um.....

can't think of much more right now. I'd say that's a good track record!

congrats on your 10 years as well!

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Bora and 2016 Touareg
With the tenth anniversary, please delineate the costs involved in regular oil changes, air and fuel filter changes, burnt bulbs, brake lite switch replacing, turbo failures, injection pump patching, number of times tires replaced, glove box replacing, speedo fixing, MAF replacing, brake pads replacing, rust issues, fuel cost, etc. If you had been investing those costs, you may not need to save for your retirement.

If I were to sift through ALL the receipts for ALL the work that has been done to my TDI since owning it, I'd have paid for the car at least twice over!! LOL! You have to understand that the list of upgrades and mods to my car is well into the tens of thousands! It's FAAAAR from stock!! LOL!

As for regular servicing, it was mainly serviced at the dealership (where I receive a tidy little customer appreciation discount on service and staff pricing on parts!). The one turbo failure was covered under VW Goodwill even though my car was out of warranty AND had been chipped (the service manager was aware of this). All recall items like brake light switch etc were replaced with no cost. Injection pump was upgraded and has not had any issues, MAF is still functioning fine, speedo has been upgraded to full MFA unit, tires have only been replaced once (due to the fact that I changed wheel size twice from 15" to 17" to 18" and sold the exisiting wheels when I upgraded) and I get tires at 40% below retail through a buddy of mine's shop.

All in all, this has been the least problematic vehicle I've ever owned, but at the same time the most costly!! This is NOT due to the fact that the car has had issues with parts failing but due to the fact that I've had a lot of fun modding it!!

Bottom line is that if money were an issue I would have left the car stock instead of spending money making i more enjoyable to drive. That said, I may not have kept it all this time if I hadn't upgraded it to its current state as I likely wouldn't have found it as enjoyable to drive!

Lat

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35d, 2006 Jetta TDI
Happy birthday to your TDI! You should bring it to the next GTG; I don't think I've ever seen/ridden in your '01 :)