Haldex clutch settings - any info?

Octavian

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Superb 2.5TDI V6, Skoda Octavia 1.9TDI
Hi

I am looking for info on VAG-COM settings for Haldex clutch (Golf 4Motion, Skoda Octavia 4x4, Audi TT).

Is there any way to modify normal power split front/rear from front only to something more reasonable?

The default FWD-only sounds like politics to allow Audi quattros sell better

If it was possible to change split to 70 front / 30 rear, I would seriously consider getting my next car with Haldex 4WD.

Uwe

Vendor , w/Business number
We haven't found anything which can be tweaked in the Haldex.

As far as the relative merits of a Haldex vs. the more traditional Torsen: Do a Google search on Haldex vs. Torsen. Some people make the argument that a Haldex is actually better because it can lock solid whereas a Torsen can send at most 75-80% of the torque to one end or another. There is also some efficiency benefit had by not pushing torque through the rear differential unless it's needed for traction.

-Uwe-

Octavian

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Superb 2.5TDI V6, Skoda Octavia 1.9TDI
Thanks Uwe

I like Haldex more than Torsen, the only problem being that VW politics dictate you should drive FWD until front wheels slip or until you can afford a Passat

Big mistake if you ask me.

Efficiency wise, when you are driving at low speeds it is true that FWD is more efficient. However, when you are driving 100mph+ for 5 hours at a time (autobahn at night, NL-PL), there is an issue of rolling resistance and tyre wear due to continuous pumping of 75hp+ through just front tyres. I would think the tyre wear would go significantly down if I could have at least 30% of torque directed to rear wheels. Rolling resistance is open to speculation, but I'd think it would go down as well, blanacing the extra drivetrain loss. Not to mention cornering and acceleration benefits and lots of fun involved in driving full-time AWD car.