Had it with the ABS.

sisyphus

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5, '01 A4 Jetta sedans, 5 sp box, Hamman mod, Joey mod, Bilsteins, 2.00" lift
This is my 01 sedan with 290k on it. I’ve replaced the speed sensor at the wheel, the connector, and the wiring (the latter are all one part) all the way to the ABS module under the air cleaner. Still have the ABS light on, took it for a drive to see what was going on with VCDS and that speed sensor is reading incorrectly, says I’m going faster than the speedo says.
Getting the following codes:
00283 ABS Wheel speed sensor, front left (G47) 35-10—intermittent
00283 ABS Wheel speed sensor, front left (G47) 16-10 — signal outside specifications—intermittent
00283 ABS Wheel speed sensor, front left (G47) 04-10 mechanical malfunction—intermittent

And to top it off:
Address 17
01316 ABS Control Module
49-10 No Communication—intermittent

The reason I replaced the speed sensor and the wiring to the module is because I’ve been chasing this issue for about a year off and on. At first I thought oh, just the sensor, no big deal, then I found the wires inside the connector had turned to dust. But the no communication is new.
Is my ABS module dying? Is there an ABS delete?

Also, I have this, which has been going on for years, despite replacing the wiring harness for the GP:
16764 Glow Plug/Heater (Q6) Circuit
0380 35-10 Malfunction- intermittent
Only thing I can think of doing for that is trying another 180 relay.

Im out of ideas.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,glutton for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
I believe you have two issues.
One being that the lh front channel may be bad in the ecu of the ABS module .
The second is the power to the pump.

If this is for your 01 you have the MK 40 setup .

I have 5 MKIV’s 4 of them have the MK 40 ABS ‘s modules and the 03 has the MK60 module.
The MK 40’s have a problem where the solder joints crack on the two plug on the module that goes to the motor. I’ve cut removed the computer module and cut off the back of it and Re soldered the cracked joints , but at this time I installed an abs with ASR . Even with that one I cut the back off and resolderd the joints.

Just my .02

sisyphus

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5, '01 A4 Jetta sedans, 5 sp box, Hamman mod, Joey mod, Bilsteins, 2.00" lift
Holy moly.
I’ve never had one of these things out, how bad is this job?

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
blow up the picture and you’ll see the cracked solder joints.
Those are the pump motor power connections, correct? What are the symptoms when they fail? I have my doubts they would cause a no communication code.

I have a MK40 pump here which communicates but doesn't operate, so it may have this issue. Cutting the cover off looks like a right PITA, what did you use?

ducatipaso

Airhead Butcher
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
fixing those circle breaks is super easy, just heat it up and reflow. commenting here for future reference.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
The world has moved in from soldering largely...
Now it's conducive glue....
It's like using super glue now...just conducting
Real reason was low lead solders would grow hairs, crystal structures overtime, that would cause shorts. Silver was too $$ so the fix was conducting glue essentially

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ChatGPT said:
Conductive glue and flow soldering serve different purposes and are used in different contexts within electronics manufacturing:
  1. Conductive Glue: Conductive glue, also known as electrically conductive adhesive (ECA), is a type of adhesive that contains conductive particles. It is used for bonding electronic components onto circuit boards or for repairing electrical connections. While conductive glue can provide flexibility and convenience in certain applications, it is not typically used as a replacement for flow soldering in mass production processes due to its slower curing time and potentially lower reliability compared to soldered connections.
  2. Flow Soldering: Flow soldering, or wave soldering, is a process used in electronics manufacturing to solder through-hole components onto circuit boards. In this process, the circuit board is passed over a wave of molten solder, which creates solder joints between the component leads and the circuit board pads. Flow soldering is a fast and efficient method for soldering large numbers of components in mass production settings, and it provides reliable and durable connections.
While conductive glue may be used in some specific applications where soldering is not feasible or desirable, flow soldering remains the preferred method for soldering through-hole components in many electronics manufacturing processes due to its speed, reliability, and cost-effectiveness.

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Just because I didnt see it discussed, Have you checked the back of the front left wheel bearing, where the magnet is for the ABS sensor? If thats damaged then it will damage/throw fault for the sensor even after you replace it.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,glutton for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
I pulled the computer off the pump assy , then using a hacksaw blade went around where it’s sealed and cut the plastic .
I would only go no further than 3/16 to a 1/4 inch in depth.
The corners have metal spacers that usually stay on one side.
I would then use black RTV to reseal the cover.

I had two pumps that didn’t communicate, I repaired both and then they communicated fine , I don’t know the wiring inside the computer , I assume that there’s a power take off from one of the terminals.

Getting the pump out is about a 20 minute job , first time is hardest trying to gain access to the bolts but once you figure it out it’s not bad. Putting it back in took about 30 minutes , getting the bolts started was the hardest.

You will need to use VCDS to do an ABS bleed.

Last edited:

braddies

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf ALH
Real reason was low lead solders would grow hairs, crystal structures overtime, that would cause shorts. Silver was too $$ so the fix was conducting glue essentially
Though those adhesives might be awesome (dunno) I would think it would be easy enough to reflow with plenty of flux, $0.10 worth of silver plumbers solder, and then clean it up nicely after.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I pulled the computer off the pump assy , then using a hacksaw blade went around where it’s sealed and cut the plastic .
I would only go no further than 3/16 to a 1/4 inch in depth.
The corners have metal spacers that usually stay on one side.
I would then use black RTV to reseal the cover.

I had two pumps that didn’t communicate, I repaired both and then they communicated fine , I don’t know the wiring inside the computer , I assume that there’s a power take off from one of the terminals.

Getting the pump out is about a 20 minute job , first time is hardest trying to gain access to the bolts but once you figure it out it’s not bad. Putting it back in took about 30 minutes , getting the bolts started was the hardest.

You will need to use VCDS to do an ABS bleed.
I cut mine open with a hacksaw too, no bad solder joints but there was brake fluid on the PCB which cannot be good :(

I was able to confirm the two pin connection is pump power, one side is connected to the PCB ground plane and the pump runs when battery voltage is applied to the other pin - but not when commanded by VCDS.

I don't see how fixing those connections would cure a module that doesn't communicate, but I can't argue with success.

Last edited:

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
The main connector solder joints crack too, had that problem with mine where it would constantly throw sensor codes. Cut the module open and a bunch of connector pins has cracked solder joints on the PCB. Reflowed the joints and problem has been fixed. Mine was a MK20 unit with ASR so its a pretty rare piece.

sisyphus

Veteran Member
TDI
Just because I didnt see it discussed, Have you checked the back of the front left wheel bearing, where the magnet is for the ABS sensor? If thats damaged then it will damage/throw fault for the sensor even after you replace it.
I have replaced the bearing and the reluctor ring, yes.

agent_jwa

TDI
02 Golf
ive worked for years manufacturing electronics and the main culprit is lead free solder, plainly put it sucks in every way. its brittle, doesnt wet out to parts, burns your iron tips out faster, it costs way more, even the flux doesnt smell good compared to old 70/30 lead.
but the thing about the conductive glue i would advise against using anything like that. ive used it before but it was for a very specialized application where we were applying voltage across a ceramic that doesnt wet to solder. even then it wasnt that great and if it had to pass any current it would have been even worse.

for that board repair i would suck as much of that old solder off with a wick and then hit it with some good lead solder.

shoebear

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon, 2005 New Beetle, 2013 Sportwagen
I bought a large roll of solder back in the 1970's which is still with me -- plenty left. @sisyphus - send me your address in a private message and I'll mail you a length of it.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Those are the pump motor power connections, correct? What are the symptoms when they fail? I have my doubts they would cause a no communication code.

I have a MK40 pump here which communicates but doesn't operate, so it may have this issue. Cutting the cover off looks like a right PITA, what did you use?
If the communication solder joint is cracked making an intermittent communication issue you don't think that would set a code?
If not a few others at the same time.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If the communication solder joint is cracked making an intermittent communication issue you don't think that would set a code?
A bad solder joint in the power connection from the ABS module to the pump motor will not prevent the ABS module from communicating with the ECU.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
The reason I replaced the speed sensor and the wiring to the module is because I’ve been chasing this issue for about a year off and on. At first I thought oh, just the sensor, no big deal, then I found the wires inside the connector had turned to dust. But the no communication is new.
Is my ABS module dying? Is there an ABS delete?
Seems you're still chasing it. Sometimes a proper diagnosis is hard to come by, but that's all you need. With all the electronics involved, it's doubly hard, even some very good mechanics are not always up to speed.
Wish I had some better comments. I will say ABS is probably the single best safety feature there is.

shoebear

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon, 2005 New Beetle, 2013 Sportwagen
Two suggestions:
  • The ABS modules rarely fail, so getting a salvage one is probably a pretty safe bet. Get that, plus any relays, sensors, wiring, etc. from a u-pull-it junkyard. As a bonus, you will have a practice run at removing these things before you do it on your car. If you mess it up in the junkyard, just move to a different car. I don't know if there are different generations of ABS controller in the 2001-2003 cars, so do some research first so that you'll know the right years and part number to target. Once you get the parts home, start swapping.
  • Check your glow plug harness connections. Occasionally, I have thought a connection was snapped in, but it wasn't. If they are all OK, pull the harness and test for battery voltage at each connector when the key is switched on. This should also show you if the relay is good or not. If that's good, test each glowplug's resistance -- should be 0.8-1.2 ohms, and they should all read about the same.

ts888

Veteran Member
TDI
03 ALH
One of our MK4s has been parked for a while now because the ABS module failed and two junkyard replacements were NFG as well :mad:
Might be time to resign the ABS module to the trash and make up some brake pipes. ABS is nice, but not necessary.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Might be time to resign the ABS module to the trash and make up some brake pipes. ABS is nice, but not necessary.
This one was a $250 parts car that ended up as a DD for a few years, but it has 400k more than our latest addition so will probably become the parts car again.