Had a timing belt break

Gamer198689

TDI
06 Jetta 1.9
When I put a new belt on and hand turn the engine it goes almost all the way and then just stops will not go any further what do u guys think it is maybe I’m not in time or what I have the tools I need to time
I don’t know what to do I need this car for commuting my wife is on dialysis and we have to travel to 4 different hospitals that are 3-4 hours away

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
Man, very sorry to hear about your troubles.

If your belt broke, it's almost 100% guaranteed that your valves
smashed into your pistons. One, or a few or all of them, doesn't
matter. In order for the motor to come back to life, the head
need to come off and be rebuilt. The bottom end needs to be
inspected. Once all that's done and cleared as OK, the head
goes back on, and all new timing components replaced. Every
roller, the water pump and tensioner, and belt.
Again, so sorry to hear of your troubles!
Your car is down for the count brother.

If you do have the money and time to pursue repair, you're in
the right place for guidance. A quicker fix though would be to
spend that money on a used Camry.

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
To be clear you hand turned the engine until it stopped? and the belt broke.

You may not be in that deep. If the engine was running that's a different story.

Reverse your steps carefully and see where you went wrong. Good luck.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
No way the belt just snapped from turning the engine. I think OP had a running engine until the neglected Timingbelt snapped.

OP
How many miles on this belt and how many years since it was changed? Any oil in that area that could have got on the belt? Is the water pump freely spinning or is it seized.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
no offence but these parts are worth more then OP's car, let alone all the parts you need to install and the labor!
unless OP is willing to do a DIY repair and have a chop do the work he cant do (guids, seals) its a total loss. i would not spend more than 1/2 the total cars value, sunk cost.
move on!

however its totally worth pulling the head and seeing how bad it is, you never know.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
I don't know about that - I spent $3000 to do an automatic to manual transmission swap at 252,000 miles. Car is still running fine at 371,000 miles....

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
new head or a rebuilt one, your new timing belt cover, coolant, some parts here and there, gaskets, oil change, zink brake in additive, and another oil change 1000 miles later with fitler,

first steps are to pull the head off. if you can do that, you can put it back on. you can strip the head down your self with some special tools, give the head to a local shop who can press in new guides and relive them, new oil seals, and grind the seats, dont have it resurfaced though, its not as straightforward as just decking it in a jig like most engines.

you need to pull the head first and check piston protrusion, its possible to bent the rods if it was going hard enough. its not as cut and dry as just slap a new head on it. are the wrist pins ok? are the rods ok? what is the TDC height to the deck of the block relationship measure?

i think 3 grand is a fair price for a new head if you have a shop do it or do some performance stuff while your in there. the car is hardly worth $1000 to $1200 if its in REALLY good shape with No rust and all things up to date and no issues, with new tires!
the way i see it, your spending more then the cost of running used car to fix one that already cost you a purchase price. no matter what you do unless you do all the work yourself and minimize cost, its a waste of money.
many here love their car and i get that, i loved my 1st jetta and i still have it, kinda but you have to be smart too about this. dont get under water on it.
i see budget cars as cost per mile. $3,000 for 250,000 is a good deal seeing as you can get crazy good mileage on them, they are worth keeping on the road, comparatively to the alternative cost.

Fahrvegnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
01 golf 1.9 alh gls silver
If there isn’t rust and you have $3k, would you rather drive this car with a new head or a clunker Camry? You aren’t getting your money back on either one if you plan to drive it. If you keep a $3000 car running you probably aren’t doing it for resale value. Good options for keeping it running have been presented, if you like the car enough. Get it checked out to know if you need more than a head.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
$3K? Jebus.....That's a $2-$2200 job max with a new head and a lot of new parts. It's not hard and doesn't take that long if you actually know what you are doing.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Still, 2 grand will buy a you a running car, probably in better shape, and 2 grand is a bit much to ask for a running tdi with these many miles and the year. Imo it's not worth it unless you DIY 100% of it and have a machine shop do the work you cant. Aka seal seats, guides, and a deck job.
I'd pass