Had a runaway...in need of good condition ALH

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2015 Touareg TDI
Pulled glow plug 1 (by timing belt side) looks fine. Glow plug 2 and 3 looked like they had corroded/melted tips. Glow plug #4 was fine but oily.

I had a friend crank the engine. Cylinder #1 and 4 felt fine with the air pressure coming out of the glow plug hole. Cylinder #2 I put my finger over it and the air pressure couldn't even get past my fingers.

Car is going on the tow truck for the swap.

Thanks to all those that gave advice and feedback.

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
Dropped the car off at Diesel Dazzler's home.

He said I didn't have a runaway because oil didn't blow out the glow plug holes. I'm confused on what I experienced then since my engine was racing and I wasn't pressing on the accelerator pedal.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
You don't need to blow oil out the GPs to have had a runaway. Runaways can be major or minor, can be caused from residual oil in the intercooler, or a broken turbo impeller shaft - each one is different.

There can be enough fuel (oil) to cause it to run away under the right conditions and have valves hit, but not enough to saturate the cylinders and leave residual oil.

Seen it happen.

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
I don't doubt that winded, I'm just going by what the pro said.

I believe still it was a runaway. What else would cause the engine to act like a runaway if it wasn't caused by the turbo.

jptbay

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Beetle, 2006 Jetta Wagon
Glow plug 2 and 3 looked like they had corroded/melted tips.
Could be aluminum residue from melted piston top.

At the minimum I would be doing a compression test to check for possible bent rods. Bent rod will break 6 months down the road and trash the engine.

DIESEL DAZZLER

Veteran Member
TDI
81VW TDI PU,94 GOLF TDI,97 PASSAT TDI,03 ,06 JETTA TDI's,KABOTA DIESEL LAWNMOWER
run away

Big time boat anchor.Three bent rods,1 melted piston.Head is scrap burned valve and seat into head casting..cylinder scored .turbo toast all headed to scrap yard.

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG, 2001 Golf TDI, Audi S6, A8, Toureg
I'm curious, I assume when this happens one can quickly put the car into gear and drop the clutch to stop it, no?

Just trying to understand how this scary event played out?

Cheers
During Runaway conditions that moment you put car into 5th gear and drop clutch then hit brakes to stop car, you will dead stop crank for very split moment and during that moment all that energy force will push pistons down and bent rods as well will destroy your clutch. The chances of killing runaway engine via putting in gear then locking wheels up and be able to save engine from self destruction are very very slim. If your ASV are working properly then you might be able to shut engine off with turning key off, but in my experiences the ASV wasn't able to stop engine at least on ALH. The BRM/BEW/BHW on other hand the electronic ASV could possibly if ever have runaway condition might be able shut airflow to engine and stop it.

McGuillicuddy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon (5MT)
So with a runaway, assuming you have put the car in neutral and made it to the side of the road safely, is it better to let the engine go and blow itself once the valves start to float, or to put it in 5th and drop the clutch?

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
whats 'better' is relative, you're bound to hurt something either way.

With the clutch dropping in 5th while on the brakes you might atleast save the engine if done soon enough, and the clutch might not totally grenade right away, but could definitely hurt it.

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Usually runaway happens when accelerating in one gear or another. If it happens, turn key off. DO NOT push in the clutch. Stand on the brakes, stops the car and engine.

Make sure you are in a safe spot on the road to do this, if in traffic probably better to sacrifice engine and save the car, yourself and others around.

Even if you catch a runaway and stop it quick, there is a good chance damage is already done, mostly bent rods from peak cylinder pressure going through the roof. That is usually fixable.

If allowed to run to stopping on its own, usually nothing is reusable but some bolts.

Silver02TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Golf Wagon TDI Highline
My engine ran away while I was stopped at a light and about to take off. Shut off engine, car was stopped, didn't know what else I could have done at the time... My only advice is, before you replace only the head, just swamp the whole engine over. Mine ended up burning oil like crazy after a while. Just wasn't right again after the repair.