GW Commercial

offgridsteve

TDI
2002 Jetta
I have a 2002 Jetta TDI. It is a fine car. Problem is I am a truck guy. I need ground clearanca, and Jetta aint there. I saw a 4dr TDI VW TRUCK. I beleive it said Amarak, or something like that on it. I have never seen one previously. Does anyone know about these trucks?

Jesus Is Lord

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI Wagon 144,000 2003 Eurovan VR6 2007 Touareg V10 TDI 158,000
Volkswagen Amarok is a very nice truck, but they are not sold in the USA.

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
They are built in MEXICO and sold in Germany and many other countries around the world. No clue why those people at VW forgot to sell at in Northamerica?

geoman

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 tdi jetta wagon
correct me if I'm wrong but aren't Amorok still available for sale in mexico? I've seen a few in southwestern Ontario near Aylmer where there is a large Mexican-Mennonite population. these are plated w/Mexican plates of Canadian residents. complicated but it'd be a hell of a road trip to make a purchase & good luck w/warranty issues unless you find a sympathetic local dealer.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
They are built in MEXICO and sold in Germany and many other countries around the world. No clue why those people at VW forgot to sell at in Northamerica?
VW has not forgotten to sell these in the US. VW simply refuses to pay the outrageous "chicken tax" that the US demands on any imported pick-up trucks. Detroit has managed to mostly eliminate foreign competition in this market by getting this tax passed years ago. Google "chicken tax" and you will learn a lot more about why we do not have more competition in the truck business.

Have Fun!

Don

waltzconmigo

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I believe the Amarok is produced in Argentina not Mexico. Does anyone know if it was to be produced in Mexico if the "chicken tax" would still apply because of NAFTA?

tjpeterson96

TDI
04 bew jetta
I believe the Amarok is produced in Argentina not Mexico. Does anyone know if it was to be produced in Mexico if the "chicken tax" would still apply because of NAFTA?
you are correct. if the Amarok were manufactured in mexico it would not be subject to the "chicken tax" because of NAFTA