Guru question: water pump replacement & motor mount bridge

bloc

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
It is confirmed, the water pump can be removed with the engine mount bracket still on the engine. I didn't pay attention to whether it can come out with the serp tensioner still in.. I actually doubt it as the pump has to rotate upward as it comes out to clear the top/front leg of the engine mount bracket getting wider away from the block.
Either way.. New OEM pump installed.. And my old one had a not bad, but not insignificant leak either.
Road trip continues. (Side note.. Had to drill out the fuel pickup assembly in 10F weather this morning.. Not fun.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
Just noticed you said this! Ha! Enlighten me man:). I'd love to know how to get that bearing apart. Doesn't it wreck the dust cover?
it doesn't wreck the seals at all ... they pop out quite easily with a pick ... i shove some grease though the cage until it squirts all the way through the cage repeat for the other side and reinstall the seals ... makes a big difference in the smoothness of the bearing ;)... on really bad ones i've found you can match a pulley from advance auto .... it's a bit wider so i have to grind the tensioner arm slightly for clearance

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
Well I guess we have proven that I've never tried at all to open one of those bearings.

I'll give it a shot on the next one. This will guarantee that I won't get another ALH TB through the shop for the next 6 months.

A5INKY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
it doesn't wreck the seals at all ... they pop out quite easily with a pick ... i shove some grease though the cage until it squirts all the way through the cage repeat for the other side and reinstall the seals ... makes a big difference in the smoothness of the bearing ;)... on really bad ones i've found you can match a pulley from advance auto .... it's a bit wider so i have to grind the tensioner arm slightly for clearance
+1 it is amazing how easily those seals pop out. if you are careful, no damage at all. Learned that trick years ago with MC wheel bearings.