Guide to Swap CC Seats Into a JSW

jimmyfine

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2010 JSW TDI, 2014 BMW 328D Wagon
Hello all, after having my 2010 JSW burn a hole in the seat from a failing seat heater I decided to look into replacing them with something a little more comfortable and classy. Upon searching for options I found this thread: https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?threads/vw-cc-seats-retrofit-into-the-jsw.521611/

Intrigued and motivated I decided to check scrapyards around me and found 1 CC that had pictures of the interior, which displayed the 2 tone tan and black seats that matched my JSW perfectly. Once at the scrapyard the driver was already loose but the passenger had 1 bolt still in the back, with the seat all the way back, so after a stressful run to walmart I made it back to the yard just before closing with a jump pack to power the seat forward and abscond with the front seats for $170. I did not get to test the rears sadly but they have a 1 piece 2 person back seat so it wouldn't work for me in the JSW even if it does fit, but the seat latchs did appear to be in a different position. After a few days comparing wiring and making changes to match I have a much more clear guide on what wires you should expect to see on each seat, and where they should be relocated to in order to install these with very little effort to gain comfort, lumbar support (amazing!), full electric control, full seat heating, and no airbag lights.

The following information is the best I can do without uploading a handmade wiring guide (which I have and may redraw and upload). The basic changes are first, followed by detailed information. NOTE: do not forget to disconnect your battery before removing or installing seats, it will turn on the airbag light.

CC driver seat: On main 10 pin connector, swap pins #10 and #4 (move 10 to 4 and 4 to 10), move pin #9 to pin #5, move pin #8 to pin #9, and remove the seat position sensor (hall effect sensor) and just plug it into the original spot in the car, mine is just sitting under the seat as it is only active when the seat is all the way forward.
CC passenger seat: This one required a couple more changes.
- 10 pin main connector: move pin #3 to pin #4, move pin #4 to pin #10, move pin #8 to pin #9, move pin #9 to pin #5
- Small 10 pin connector (5 wires on CC, 4 on JSW): Transfer yellow and gray striped wire off of the JSW seat and install into the same pins you removed them from (pin #8 in the module harness, didn't get other sides pin #). Then solder yellow seat belt connector to the 2 extra wires that get cut (detailed in long form below).
- Gray module: replace with module from JSW seat.

Parts needed from JSW driver seat: *EDIT* Seat position sensor
Parts needed from JSW passenger seat: gray module, yellow connector tracing to seat belt buckle, yellow and gray striped wire from small 10 pin connector.

Now for the long form writeup, not that this has been short writing by any means so far. We will start with comparing connectors, wire color, and pin positions, followed by what wire connects to what, finished with what actually needs done to make it work now that you know whats what in each seat. I got more information from the passenger seat on what wires did what, but I did ohm check all wires to verify I was moving them into the proper spot.

Read this like a spreadsheet from top down, this will be pin 1-10 organized vertically to annotate the wire in that position for each car, 2 different pinouts, with what connects to what following those, which I then used to determine the above re-pinning guide.

Key: NA = no wire / r = red / gr = gray / ge = green / bk = black / bl = blue / br = brown / y=yellow / wt = white / p = purple / bl/wt = bl with white stripe

Driver black control box:
Car 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8
CC r/gr - wt - r/bk - bl/r - r/ge - r/bl - br - bl/wt
JSW p/bl - wt - r/y - bk/wt - p - r/y - br - bl/wt

Driver 10 pin main connector (connects to car):
Car 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10
CC wt - bl/wt - r/bl - r/ge - NA - NA - NA - r/y - br - bl/r
JSW wt - bl/wt - r/y - bk/wt - br - NA - NA - NA - r/bk - p/bl

CC wire cross connects from the 10 pin to the box harness: 10 pin connector pin # -> (connects to) black box pin #
1 -> 2
2 -> 8
3 -> 3 and 6
4 -> 1
8 -> Assume seat controls, does not go to black box
9 -> 5 and 7
10 -> 4

JSW wire cross connects from the 10 pin to the box harness: 10 pin connector pin # -> (connects to) black box pin #
1 -> 2
2 -> 8
3 -> 3 and 6
4 -> 4
5 -> 5 and 7
9 -> Assume seat controls, does not go to black box
10 -> 1

So, from this mess of information, we learn that in order to make the driver CC pinout match the JSW we need to do the following on the CC 10 pin connector:
Switch pins #4 and #10
Move pin #9 to pin #5 (blank on CC)
Move pin #8 to pin #9 (after moving pin #9 of course)

*EDIT* Lastly, do not forget about the extra sensor from the JSW seat that just needs plugged in, I did when making this writeup.

Now for the complicated passenger seat.

Key: NA = no wire / r = red / gr = gray / ge = green / bk = black / bl = blue / br = brown / y=yellow / wt = white / p = purple / bl/wt = bl with white stripe

Passenger gray module:
Car 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - 11 - 12 - 13 - 14 - 15 - 16 - 17 - 18
CC NA - NA - NA - bl - br - bk - br/bk - NA - bk - NA - NA - NA - NA - bk - ge - r - NA - p
JSW NA - NA - NA - y - br - wt - gr - y/gr - bk/ge - NA - NA - NA - NA - br - br - bk - NA - r

BOTH gray modules pinouts for what they go to are the SAME with the exception of the 1 yellow gray wire on the JSW going to the small 10 pin connector. I will do a full pinout connection like I have for driver seat at the end of this as we have 3 more comparisons to make to support this information, otherwise it isn't good information.

Passenger 10 pin main connector (connects to car):
CC NA - NA - bl/r - r/ge - NA - NA - NA - r/y - br - NA
JSW NA - NA - NA - bk - br - NA - NA - NA - r/bk - p/bl

Passenger seat belt buckle wires: NOTE - JSW seatbelt has 2 connectors to the CCs 1, you will need the yellow connector off the JSW seat that connects to the car, it looks very similar to the airbag connector, recommend ohming out correct one before cutting!!
Car 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5
CC bk - bl - r - ge - ge
JSW bk - bl - r (<- connector 1, 3 pin | connector 2, 2 pin ->) ge - ge

Passenger seat belt harness wires: These are the ones between the seat belt connector(s) and the car or gray module.
Car 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5
CC bk - bl - r - ge - br
JSW br - y - bk <- 3 pin | 2 pin -> p - orange
NOTE: The JSW has been corrected for sanity sake, the 3 pin going to the gray module is numbered OPPOSITE what the seat belt side is, trust me, it is better than writing the actual numbers.

So, if you have made it this far, congratulations, now to draw it all out before we explain what needs done to make the passenger CC pinout match the JSW, again, to establish a basis with which we will work from:

Circuit connections starting at the gray module and ending where they please: NOTE - the pinout is EXACTLY the same EXCEPT for the 1 y/gr striped wire on the JSW.
NOTE #2 - Again, all connections were ohmed out to verify they went where I say they do, and they all matched pin for pin
1 -> NA
2 -> NA
3 -> NA
4 -> seat belt pin #2
5 -> small 10 pin connector (same pin # on both cars at the small 10 pin)
6 -> seat occupant sensor
7 -> seat occupant sensor
8 -> ADD y/gr from JSW
9 -> small 10 pin connector (same pin # on both cars at the small 10 pin)
10 -> NA
11 -> NA
12 -> NA
13 -> NA
14 -> seat belt pin #1
15 -> seat occupant sensor
16 -> seat belt pin #3
17 -> NA
18 -> small 10 pin connector (same pin # on both cars at the small 10 pin)

Seat belt pinout for the 2 green wires (starting from seat belt):
CC seat belt pins #4 and #5 -> 2 extra wires on small 10 pin
JSW seat belt -> second yellow connector with orange and purple wires

CC large 10 pin:
3 -> goes to a 4 pin connector
4 -> splits to at least 2 different connectors, 1 to the same 4 pin as pin #3
8 -> seat control power
9 -> ground

JSW large 10 pin:
4 -> goes to a 4 pin connector
5 -> ground
9 -> seat control power
10 -> splits to at least 2 different connectors, 1 to the same 4 pin as pin #4

Now that all of THAT has been written out and is totally straight forward and not confusing, here are the changes that need made based on the above data:
Swap JSW gray module into the CC seat.
Remove small yellow and gray stripe wire from JSW small 10 pin connector and gray module connector, then add it to the CC harness in the SAME pin locations.
Cut off the yellow seat belt connector from the JSW seat, the one that connects to the car.
Then on the CC cut the 2 extra small 10 pin wires (should be green and brown right next to eachother, not present in JSW small 10 pin, in case you want to triple check), then solder on the yellow connector you just cut off the JSW seat.
Now on the large 10 pin:
- move pin #3 -> pin #4
- move pin #4 -> pin #10
- move pin #9 -> pin #5
- move pin #8 -> pin#9

Now that we are all done, install the seats (you will need power to move them for the other 2 bolts, just make sure the connectors are all plugged in before connecting battery), reconnect your battery, and test out all functions, they should work, and there should not be an airbag light. I did the driver first, then after removing the passenger waited a day or 2 so I did have an airbag light, but after clearing the codes it has stayed off.

Last edited:

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
Last edited:

jimmyfine

Veteran Member
TDI
Last edited:

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
@Mrrogers1 Here is a link to the gallery, please ignore the trash and toes, got rear ended after a road trip and am doing this stuff while waiting for the title to come back. It was totaled but I bought it back, can elaborate more if wanted. https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?media/pxl_20220727_214542432-jpg.149184/full

Edit, will include rear seat pics when my wife gets back with the car.
Those are some good looking seats in there, match and look great. There is only one pic at the gallery link but I do appreciate the share.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
@Mrrogers1 Here is a link to the gallery, please ignore the trash and toes, got rear ended after a road trip and am doing this stuff while waiting for the title to come back. It was totaled but I bought it back, can elaborate more if wanted. https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?media/pxl_20220727_214542432-jpg.149184/full

Edit, will include rear seat pics when my wife gets back with the car.
I have the exact same colors of the VW CC seats just like yours. They are to go into my 2015 Passat as her seats are one of the most uncomfortable seats I ever have experienced.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Hello all, after having my 2010 JSW burn a hole in the seat from a failing seat heater I decided to look into replacing them with something a little more comfortable and classy. Upon searching for options I found this thread: https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?threads/vw-cc-seats-retrofit-into-the-jsw.521611/

Intrigued and motivated I decided to check scrapyards around me and found 1 CC that had pictures of the interior, which displayed the 2 tone tan and black seats that matched my JSW perfectly. Once at the scrapyard the driver was already loose but the passenger had 1 bolt still in the back, with the seat all the way back, so after a stressful run to walmart I made it back to the yard just before closing with a jump pack to power the seat forward and abscond with the front seats for $170. I did not get to test the rears sadly but they have a 1 piece 2 person back seat so it wouldn't work for me in the JSW even if it does fit, but the seat latchs did appear to be in a different position. After a few days comparing wiring and making changes to match I have a much more clear guide on what wires you should expect to see on each seat, and where they should be relocated to in order to install these with very little effort to gain comfort, lumbar support (amazing!), full electric control, full seat heating, and no airbag lights.

The following information is the best I can do without uploading a handmade wiring guide (which I have and may redraw and upload). The basic changes are first, followed by detailed information. NOTE: do not forget to disconnect your battery before removing or installing seats, it will turn on the airbag light.

CC driver seat: On main 10 pin connector, swap pins #10 and #4 (move 10 to 4 and 4 to 10), move pin #9 to pin #5, move pin #8 to pin #9, and remove the seat position sensor (hall effect sensor) and just plug it into the original spot in the car, mine is just sitting under the seat as it is only active when the seat is all the way forward.
CC passenger seat: This one required a couple more changes.
- 10 pin main connector: move pin #3 to pin #4, move pin #4 to pin #10, move pin #8 to pin #9, move pin #9 to pin #5
- Small 10 pin connector (5 wires on CC, 4 on JSW): Transfer yellow and gray striped wire off of the JSW seat and install into the same pins you removed them from (pin #8 in the module harness, didn't get other sides pin #). Then solder yellow seat belt connector to the 2 extra wires that get cut (detailed in long form below).
- Gray module: replace with module from JSW seat.

Parts needed from JSW driver seat: *EDIT* Seat position sensor
Parts needed from JSW passenger seat: gray module, yellow connector tracing to seat belt buckle, yellow and gray striped wire from small 10 pin connector.

Now for the long form writeup, not that this has been short writing by any means so far. We will start with comparing connectors, wire color, and pin positions, followed by what wire connects to what, finished with what actually needs done to make it work now that you know whats what in each seat. I got more information from the passenger seat on what wires did what, but I did ohm check all wires to verify I was moving them into the proper spot.

Read this like a spreadsheet from top down, this will be pin 1-10 organized vertically to annotate the wire in that position for each car, 2 different pinouts, with what connects to what following those, which I then used to determine the above re-pinning guide.

Driver black control box:
Car 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8
CC r/gr - wt - r/bk - bl/r - r/ge - r/bl - br - bl/wt
JSW p/bl - wt - r/y - bk/wt - p - r/y - br - bl/wt

Driver 10 pin main connector (connects to car):
CC wt - bl/wt - r/bl - r/ge - NA - NA - NA - r/y - br - bl/r
JSW wt - bl/wt - r/y - bk/wt - br - NA - NA - NA - r/bk - p/bl

CC wire cross connects from the 10 pin to the box harness: 10 pin connector pin # -> (connects to) black box pin #
1 -> 2
2 -> 8
3 -> 3 and 6
4 -> 1
8 -> Assume seat controls, does not go to black box
9 -> 5 and 7
10 -> 4

JSW wire cross connects from the 10 pin to the box harness: 10 pin connector pin # -> (connects to) black box pin #
1 -> 2
2 -> 8
3 -> 3 and 6
4 -> 4
5 -> 5 and 7
9 -> Assume seat controls, does not go to black box
10 -> 1

So, from this mess of information, we learn that in order to make the driver CC pinout match the JSW we need to do the following on the CC 10 pin connector:
Switch pins #4 and #10
Move pin #9 to pin #5 (blank on CC)
Move pin #8 to pin #9 (after moving pin #9 of course)

*EDIT* Lastly, do not forget about the extra sensor from the JSW seat that just needs plugged in, I did when making this writeup.

Now for the complicated passenger seat.

Passenger gray module:
Car 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - 11 - 12 - 13 - 14 - 15 - 16 - 17 - 18
CC NA - NA - NA - bl - br - bk - br/bk - NA - bk - NA - NA - NA - NA - bk - ge - r - NA - p
JSW NA - NA - NA - y - br - wt - gr - y/gr - bk/ge - NA - NA - NA - NA - br - br - bk - NA - r

BOTH gray modules pinouts for what they go to are the SAME with the exception of the 1 yellow gray wire on the JSW going to the small 10 pin connector. I will do a full pinout connection like I have for driver seat at the end of this as we have 3 more comparisons to make to support this information, otherwise it isn't good information.

Passenger 10 pin main connector (connects to car):
CC NA - NA - bl/r - r/ge - NA - NA - NA - r/y - br - NA
JSW NA - NA - NA - bk - br - NA - NA - NA - r/bk - p/bl

Passenger seat belt buckle wires: NOTE - JSW seatbelt has 2 connectors to the CCs 1, you will need the yellow connector off the JSW seat that connects to the car, it looks very similar to the airbag connector, recommend ohming out correct one before cutting!!
Car 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5
CC bk - bl - r - ge - ge
JSW bk - bl - r (<- connector 1, 3 pin | connector 2, 2 pin ->) ge - ge

Passenger seat belt harness wires: These are the ones between the seat belt connector(s) and the car or gray module.
Car 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5
CC bk - bl - r - ge - br
JSW br - y - bk <- 3 pin | 2 pin -> p - orange
NOTE: The JSW has been corrected for sanity sake, the 3 pin going to the gray module is numbered OPPOSITE what the seat belt side is, trust me, it is better than writing the actual numbers.

So, if you have made it this far, congratulations, now to draw it all out before we explain what needs done to make the passenger CC pinout match the JSW, again, to establish a basis with which we will work from:

Circuit connections starting at the gray module and ending where they please: NOTE - the pinout is EXACTLY the same EXCEPT for the 1 y/gr striped wire on the JSW.
NOTE #2 - Again, all connections were ohmed out to verify they went where I say they do, and they all matched pin for pin
1 -> NA
2 -> NA
3 -> NA
4 -> seat belt pin #2
5 -> small 10 pin connector (same pin # on both cars at the small 10 pin)
6 -> seat occupant sensor
7 -> seat occupant sensor
8 -> ADD y/gr from JSW
9 -> small 10 pin connector (same pin # on both cars at the small 10 pin)
10 -> NA
11 -> NA
12 -> NA
13 -> NA
14 -> seat belt pin #1
15 -> seat occupant sensor
16 -> seat belt pin #3
17 -> NA
18 -> small 10 pin connector (same pin # on both cars at the small 10 pin)

Seat belt pinout for the 2 green wires (starting from seat belt):
CC seat belt pins #4 and #5 -> 2 extra wires on small 10 pin
JSW seat belt -> second yellow connector with orange and purple wires

CC large 10 pin:
3 -> goes to a 4 pin connector
4 -> splits to at least 2 different connectors, 1 to the same 4 pin as pin #3
8 -> seat control power
9 -> ground

JSW large 10 pin:
4 -> goes to a 4 pin connector
5 -> ground
9 -> seat control power
10 -> splits to at least 2 different connectors, 1 to the same 4 pin as pin #4

Now that all of THAT has been written out and is totally straight forward and not confusing, here are the changes that need made based on the above data:
Swap JSW gray module into the CC seat.
Remove small yellow and gray stripe wire from JSW small 10 pin connector and gray module connector, then add it to the CC harness in the SAME pin locations.
Cut off the yellow seat belt connector from the JSW seat, the one that connects to the car.
Then on the CC cut the 2 extra small 10 pin wires (should be green and brown right next to eachother, not present in JSW small 10 pin, in case you want to triple check), then solder on the yellow connector you just cut off the JSW seat.
Now on the large 10 pin:
- move pin #3 -> pin #4
- move pin #4 -> pin #10
- move pin #9 -> pin #5
- move pin #8 -> pin#9

Now that we are all done, install the seats (you will need power to move them for the other 2 bolts, just make sure the connectors are all plugged in before connecting battery), reconnect your battery, and test out all functions, they should work, and there should not be an airbag light. I did the driver first, then after removing the passenger waited a day or 2 so I did have an airbag light, but after clearing the codes it has stayed off.
whew! how long did that take you for this whole project?

jimmyfine

Veteran Member
TDI
Those are clean! I was obviously taking my time to write everything down and learn what was what, driver took about 2 hours or so, passenger about 3 just because it was more complicated and I wasted time removing part of the JSW seats wiring harness before figuring out I was wasting time and effort.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
oof.... 5 hours in total. I salute you for that and thank you for the excellent write up. that boosts my confidence to tackle on my Passat/VW CC.

btw, thank you for the compliment. it came out of a 20k miles 2012/2013 VW CC that was rear ended. unbelievable low mileage. the local junkyard wanted $500 for it but he found out I own a fox body Mustang (2 of 1989's) so he went for $200 with me as he has a fox body mustang parked right there. we snagged it right there.

jimmyfine

Veteran Member
TDI
I have the exact same colors of the VW CC seats just like yours. They are to go into my 2015 Passat as her seats are one of the most uncomfortable seats I ever have experienced.
I missed that you said they are going into your '15 Passat, I am not sure if the Passat moved to the next gen in '15 like the others, but the CC is a Passat oddly enough. You may not even have to do anything with rewiring.

sauron18

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI DSG
I know someone selling the complete set of those seats. Same color love how they look. The problem is that the person don´t sell the front only. Would have to buy the front and rear seats. Also not sure if i would want the front and rear seat different look. How does it look? Front being 2 tone and the rear seats 1 tone?

jimmyfine

Veteran Member
TDI
I am not totally against or for it, it is noticeable but the seats having the same tone makes it kinda alright. If you do end up getting them, let us know if the rears actually fit, the bottom bench is 1 piece so may not work immediately but I am curious about the backs, minus the missing center seat of course.

sauron18

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI DSG
I am not totally against or for it, it is noticeable but the seats having the same tone makes it kinda alright. If you do end up getting them, let us know if the rears actually fit, the bottom bench is 1 piece so may not work immediately but I am curious about the backs, minus the missing center seat of course.
I read some people have make it fit but you have to weild the perch or the lock. The seats fits fine and you can put them in the thing is the perch or latch to secure the seats i think. Would love to fit those seats on mine.

jimmyfine

Veteran Member
TDI
I read some people have make it fit but you have to weild the perch or the lock. The seats fits fine and you can put them in the thing is the perch or latch to secure the seats i think. Would love to fit those seats on mine.
That sounds like what I was expecting, the hooks for the latchs didn't look like they were the correct height for the JSW, but width looked perfect. I use all 5 seats in mine sometimes so I wouldn't want to give up the 5th spot and belt for it, not including figuring out how to get the lower bench adapted to work with the JSW's hinges, or the fact that you lose the ability to only put one side of the back down in the flat position without cutting up the seat.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
I missed that you said they are going into your '15 Passat, I am not sure if the Passat moved to the next gen in '15 like the others, but the CC is a Passat oddly enough. You may not even have to do anything with rewiring.
everything almost fits but 1 connector was off. had to re-wire it. i took pics so I can compare before the winter comes and work on it. its too dang hot right now.

jimmyfine

Veteran Member
TDI
UPDATE: I was able to test fit rear seats from a CC on a 2010 jetta sedan at the scrapyard. CC rear seats will over not really function in the jetta sedan or wagen but can go in. The following are my notes.

The seat bottom will mostly fit, but the 2 buckles are tight and the car seat anchors would need to be removed/hammered down for it to go in, but the seat bottom securement points are the same as the jetta sedan but not the wagen. So it will need modification for the JSW but not for the sedan for the actual seat pad. You would need to modify to get the 60/40 split anyway in the JSW so I am sorry to say I do not think it is worth the time to really mess with in the JSW.

The seat backs will go in with no or little modification, but due to the longer CC back under the pivot point, they will NOT actually swing down, so they would either be fixed in place or not installed. This issue is for both the JSW and sedan, the seat pivot and latch are in the same locations, but the dimensions on the actual back are different for the CC/Passat and will not allow pivoting once installed.

jimmyfine

Veteran Member
TDI
@calimustang Yes, only the front seats will go in with minimal modification sadly but who knows, maybe one day I will see if I can transplant the upholstery and foam from the CC seat onto the wagen seat frames. It would be nice if there was a FAQ that had been well maintained for the mkVI where I could try to get this placed lol, hopefully it is easily found by anyone in the future that is looking for JSW compatible seat swaps.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Hmmmmmm I may give it a try. I got a large foldable table in my garage as I used it to rebuild my cv shafts with new boots etc as old ones was torn up. So I can put JSW seat and CC seat together and compare and go from there.