Guide: 2014 Passat TDI CKRA Camshaft and Crankshaft Seal Replacement and Timing Belt Job

eugene89us

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Volkswagen Passat TDI SEL Premium
I finally found an opportunity, a 3-day weekend, to tackle timing belt and associated jobs this weekend. Hope everyone's Independence Day is going great! Wanted to share my experience replacing timing belt (including 3 rollers, water pump, tensioner). Initially, I also wanted to replace camshaft seal, since that tends to leak - and you're basically there while doing timing belt. Well, as I tried to tackle that job last weekend, I realized by looking at the timing belt housing that my crankshaft seal was sweating/leaking too, causing a week delay in order for me to order additional parts and tools.

I used all VW tools from vw.snapon.com for seal replacement, including pullers and seal installers. Unfortunately, I ordered wrong seal installer for camshaft, so I had to hope that the seal will stretch onto the camshaft without damage, since I did not have the guide sleeve. But I was able to use crankshaft seal installer to push the seal in place once I worked it onto the camshaft by hand. In comparison, having the guide sleeve for crankshaft was absolutely necessary! I believe if you purchase aftermarket seals, such as Elring, it will come preinstalled on a guide sleeve. I chose to purchase OEM, both cam and crank seals were made in Turkey by RBX. I believe Elring is either German-made or Chinese-made, they have factories all over the place.

Anyways, to begin the job, the first thing is preparation. I read ErWin manual, which was awesome, printed it out, and followed it religiously. However, the video online by My Turbo Diesel was super helpful. I drained the coolant by disconnecting lower radiator hose. Then I disconnected coolant expansion tank (two hoses, one of top and one on bottom). I removed the entire tank to give me more space and a chance to wash it anyways. It looked filthy. Next, I unscrewed the windshield washer filler neck and disconnected the head portion only - just pull it off. That will give you even more space.

Then disconnect a sensor and unscrew sensor bracket and place it on the DPF.

Lastly, for fuel filter, I decided against disconnecting quick connect couplers, since people online said they are very brittle and will likely break. I simply unscrewed 3 bolts/nut, unscrewed a couple of lines downstream, and laid the fuel filter upside down on the engine itself. Yes, it is a little in the way, but you can work around it. Plus, no priming fuel system when job is done. Especially at a time when nerves are at the worst, and you hope you didn't screw something up. Haha. By the way, you're working on a cold engine, you cannot do belt tensioning properly if engine is hot! Once all is disconnected, you can unclip and remove the timing belt cover. Easy so far.

Next, move downstairs. By now, you have used your fantastic QuickJack and have your car lifted. You also removed the underbody (how else did you drain the coolant?) and removed the wheel well. All super easy without any fighting. Remove the ribbed belt since you will be changing it also. Unscrew 4 bolts for harmonic balancer, and unscrew 5 bolts for lower timing belt cover. Now, your belt is fully exposed!

Now, if you're doing the seals, while your engine is timed with an old belt in place, this may be a great time to loosen (but not remove) the crankshaft and camshaft main bolts. Crankshaft is 19mm 12 point. That bolt is a stretch bolt, you will use a new bolt when putting it all back together to tighten to 120Nm plus 90 degrees. Someone mentioned it is around 400Nm in total, so you will need a long breaker bar and a pipe. Unfortunately, Chinese junk will bend, I bent one of my breaker bars from China. I had some USA-made Craftsman Industrial 1/2 in drive ratchet that did the job well. Some pros cautioned against using an impact driver since you can cause micro-cracks in your crankshaft, but my engine mechanic family member says it is okay to use impact to loosen, but tightening must be done by hand! So do what you feel comfortable with. Someone also suggested upgrading to 3/4 drive ratchet and socket. And they have 3/4 in drive 19mm 12 point online that taper toward the socket end to prevent issues with oversized socket, which may be a good option. In my case, nobody carries this size locally and I had to work with what I have - 1/2 in drive sockets and breaker bars. Anyways, you would use ID Parts counterhold tool while you sweat away at the crank bolt. You can use Metalnerd Counterhold tool to hold the camshaft to loosen that bolt. But that bolt is not stretch bolt, so very little effort there. Once bolts were loosened a bit, I decided to proceed by locking the crankshaft at that time, like I was doing a timing belt job, so I would complete the seal replacement at TDC.

Existing old timing belt with 120k miles must have stretched a bit, the tensioner was well below the proper tightness notch and the cam and HPFP pins did not fit with old belt still on. But I saw them being very close with my inspection mirror, see below:

Loosen your tensioner and remove the old belt. You technically don't have to lock these, since you are about to remove the old timing belt and continue to undo your sprockets, but I decided to time it properly, for sake of double checking that everything was in time. Now that you timed everything with the pins, go ahead and remove your pins for camshaft and crankshaft. You can keep HPFP pin in, since we won't be messing with that sprocket for seals, keep it at proper position. You know everything is in time and at TDC, those shafts won't move that easily, so your things will remain close to TDC and perfect time while you work on these. Remove the central bolt for crankshaft. The sprocket won't just pop off, it is a tight fit. So I rocked the sprocket with my hands back and forth until it came off. Another option, use your old harmonic balancer bolts to screw back into the sprocket and use some pliers to pull on it. You will need new bolts anyways so who cares if you scratch these bolts, and this way you don't do something silly and damage the sprocket itself, which you are reuising. But really, just rock it by hand and it will come out easily, I did not need that workaround.

Look at that sweaty crankshaft seal. You know the interesting thing (kudos go to @oilhammer for his insight) but he mentioned the camshaft on top uses the "new, naked" seal format without the "dust jacket" as I call it. But look, the crankshaft had a naked seal version installed also! Replacement seals for camshaft were new style as I expected, but brand new crankshaft seal was actually "older" preferred design with dust jacket. Weird, since I was expecting to see "old" style at crankshaft and only new style at camshaft. Good news, is that the new style puller worked on both seals. Yay!

Last edited:

eugene89us

Veteran Member
TDI
For camshaft, remove 3 bolts and the sprocket pulls out or falls out, so catch it! Then you see the camshaft hub. Remove the central bolt you loosened earlier and the hub comes out easily. @oilhammer mentioned that the plastic on the hub tends to get brittle over time, you can break the plastic off and reuse the hub. I decided to be stupid with my money and just bought a new hub. Fresh plastic will last another 100k miles if the car does.

Here is the seal puller in action, on crankshaft:

And on the camshaft:

Below is the photo of crankshaft (bottom of engine) seals. Note the "new" style on top out of the bag that looks naked is actually the old seal from factory that I removed. The old style inside FCP bag with "dust jacket" is the one that most pros seem to prefer. And when you look for crank seal, that is the only style available for CKRA engine. So I am not sure what the heck happened, both crankshaft seals are same size: 35x48x10mm. Even ErWin does not mention "new seal" for crankshaft (only for camshaft). That new seal may be the reason why my crank was sweating! Just an interesting find is that the old style better seal's PTFE bends inward and is not visible once you install it due to what I call the dust cover, so the guide sleeve is a must. The new style seal's PTFE bends outwards, so you can actually see the seal once installed. Maybe that was the reason VW went with new seal version - to work with the puller and easy to inspect your work to ensure it did not kink or tear while installing. So I am glad camshaft seal was new version since I did not have a correct guide sleeve so seeing the seal was helpful for peace of mind. I had the right installer tools for crankshaft, so old version seal installed with ease.

Below are photos of seals removed from both crank and camshaft.

Here is the crankshaft installer in action, what a nice thing to have the correct tools, even if I only use them once or twice:

Here is the brand new RBX seal installed on crankshaft with VW special installer for a perfect installation:

And here is the camshaft that I pressed on with my fingers without a guide sleeve since I was stupid and ordered the wrong sleeve. But at the end, I used the crankshaft seal installer to help push the seal consistently. Or you can try to hammer it in like some pros do, I didn't want to risk crooked install. With naked camshaft seal, you can see the PTFE seal bending outward and you can actually inspect it visually (brown part of the seal):

Here is a very important thing: do not lubricate the seals. And you must wipe the cam and crank journal with a dry wipe or cloth to get rid of all oily residue. It must be clean and dry. And preferably no lint or dust, nothing to mess with sealing! PTFE seals must be installed dry. Far too many videos online of people soaking seals in oil. You did that with even older style seal with a spring, these teflon seals are supposed to "mate" with the shaft. Chemically, they transfer some of the material onto the shaft for a leak free seal. If you oil, the seal will leak. Once seals are on, they must sit undisturbed for 4 hours to mate. They say not to start engine for 4 hours, I did a more extreme version - installed the seals and took a 4-hour break.

Now that the seal are installed and have had a chance to "mate" for 4 hours, install the camshaft hub (the notch will only let you do it one direction, no way to make an error). I bought " PD Cam Hub / EA288 HPFP Counterhold Tool (Short) " on IDParts, which said did not fit, but it worked well to slide into holes of the camshaft hub to counterhold while you tighten the central bolt to 100Nm. It is not a stretch bolt, so that was quite easy to accomplish. Remember, you have no belt on, so try to keep the shafts from moving to keep everything in time. Here is that tool in action:

Then you install the camshaft sprocket with 3 bolts, just hand tighten those now. Move on down to crankshaft - place the sprocket onto D-shaped crankshaft and get the new bolt out. Now that one is absolute nightmare! I used ID Parts counterhold tool - actually had the end of handle rest on the garage floor, so the floor was counterholding and I was just tightening (yes, I moved the shaft a little out of time so I could connect the tool and the handle to the floor, but only a few degrees). For crankshaft's 12 point bolt, you will tighten to 120Nm plus 90 degrees. Invite a friend or family to help you, it is really tough if you're not a bodybuilder. If you have a real lift, you can tighten at TDC if you want, but then you need a buddy to hold the counterhold (see the blue handle of the counterhold tool below, it is HEFTY!)

So now, you're basically back to timing belt job. I won't reiterate instructions here, since there are plenty guides and videos online, especially from My Turbo Diesel dot com channel on YouTube. Get camshaft and crankshaft sprockets locked in with the pins. Remove the water pump, which is a bear to remove. I used a pry bar to gently rock it back and forth from top and bottom until it came out. Lots of coolant will follow, despite you draining it earlier, be prepared. Here are two pumps - original one next to new HEPU pump with metal impeller. As you can see by dried coolant, the old pump was definitely leaking.

Replace your 3 idler pulleys. I used the simple method for replacing the tensioner - by pulling the stud out. I used my USA-made locking pliers by Malco (watch Project Farm on locking pliers, and choose American!) to unscrew it easily. Now, most places will tell you to tighten by hand and live with it. Actually, older engines that use same stud recommend putting Loctite on it and torquing to 15 Nm. I decided against Loctite, since there was none originally. But I could not identify 15Nm by feel, after all I am only a shade-tree mechanic. So I purchased some M8-1.25 "jam nuts" on Amazon. I have a 20-pack, let me know if you need one! I hand tightened the stud with a new INA tensioner, put the tensioner in place, then put the thin jam nut on, followed by the old 15mm nut that I will replace with a new one anyways. Somehow, good Lord was watching, and the nuts locked together! I used my torque wrench with 15mm crowfoot wrench at 90-degree angle to keep same torque specs, and was able to get it close to 15Nm. That gave me around an 80-degree additional turn after hand tight. Peace of mind is definitely worth the effort. Now, if you are so inclined, the regular method of removing the engine bracket will give you much ample space. But I decided against it. I think I spent more time with this "quick pro method" but I didn't have to mess with the mounts, so it was worthwhile to me IMO. But you decide what to do. If you go the mount removal method, remember to replace the bolts!

And here it is, beautifully installed. I hope this guide helps you, or at least gives you courage to do it yourself. With the correct tools and a nice weekend, you can get it done fairly easily. Took me 1.5 days due to that long 4-hour break and me taking time to clean everything as I went and verify things many times. If you need torque specs, I think I have them correct below, but verify for yourself to be 100% sure. One difference, though, is that ErWin manual suggests 3 camshaft sprocket bolts at 20Nm plus 45 degrees and online resources suggest 20Nm plus 90 degrees. I followed ErWin, since that is the official guidance document. HPFP 3 sprocket bolts are 20Nm plus 90 degrees. Tensioner is 20Nm plus 45 degrees. Vibration damper is 10Nm plus 90 degrees. The large roller is 50Nm plus 90 degrees. All of the stretch bolts need to be replaced, do not reuse old ones. They are too inexpensive to take unneeded risk! Top roller bolt 25Nm, bottom roller nut 20Nm. Water pump 3 bolts 15Nm. And lastly, 5 lower timing belt cover bolts: 10 Nm, but here you should use blue Loctite to prevent them from vibrating free. Don't forget to do your 2 engine rotations and verify that crank and cam pins line up perfectly (took me a couple of tries for a perfect fit). HPFP was hair off and the pin would not fit, but ErWin says it is hard to impossible to line up HPFP and in our engines, completely unnecessary, as long as it is close. Let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited:

eugene89us

Veteran Member
TDI
And since I am feeling generous, here is a video to using the seal remover on crankshaft. So you decide if you'd rather do it this way or try your luck with a screwdriver or pick tool. May be easy, may give you hell... I did not want to risk, no spare car if this were to be stuck open for more than 3 days.

AverageAndy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2013 Golf TDI 6MT, 2013 Jetta TDI 6MT (R.I.P.)
Yes, thank you for the write up! After having just completed the TB job, on my 2013, everything was described and pictured quite well. And I can personally attest to the fact that the "quick connect couplers" are VERY brittle and WILL break if you try to remove them. Good news is they stay on and don't leak :oops:

One question, did your old water pump have grease discharge from the weep hole? Mine did, and I was guessing that this may have been a precursor to impending failure?

eugene89us

Veteran Member
TDI
@AverageAndy Yes, there were coolant stains beyond the gasket including some pink to orange residue spread onto the timing belt cover, and there was some oily gunky discharge out of the little hole. The plastic impeller actually moves in and out about a quarter inch, I think if I waited longer, it may have fallen apart internally. Let me see if I find a picture to post it here. One thing that got me a little upset is how brown the engine is inside the pump opening! I know G13 coolant has silicates which deposit brown protective layer, but I also think due to coolant degradation (first 2 coolant changes were done 50k miles apart, but that time coolant was already orange) this may have reduced the protective effect. I see many videos online of inside engine block gray shiny like new. Mine is brown, same color as the old pump's internal collar.

eugene89us

Veteran Member
TDI
Here is what the inside of the engine looks like. I do agree some is silicates build up, but I refuse to believe it is all silicates. I know we have cast iron block on the TDIs, but as well as I maintain this car, I did not expect to see this.

I don't have a photo of the orifice, but I still have the old pump. I will take a photo and post back here. I will alert you to it.

eugene89us

Veteran Member
TDI
@Jarrod B Good luck, buddy, if you have any issues, ask away. I will try to be available and I am sure others can join in to help too. One unexpected issue I ran into was the large roller. When I unscrewed the bolt, it sounded like I was screwing through sand. When the bolt came out, about 1 to 2 first threads inside engine block were damaged and just turned into metal dust. I blew it out with air and was worried I would not be able to thread new bolt. After being slow and careful to align, the new bolt threaded by hand all the way. If you run into this issue, don't force anything. Continue to hand thread until it catches right, no wrenches or power tools. I threaded it in and out a few times by hand so that the damaged first couple rows would align properly. Then I unscrewed it and screwed back with new roller, again threading by fingers until it was all the way in. If you start using wrenches from start, you risk cross threading in case like mine and then you're in big trouble. Weird how engine that was never touched for timing belt has some thread damage. Since that bolt is 50Nm plus 90 degrees, may be excess stress that caused it. Retorquing back was nerve wracking, but the bolt did well to 50Nm and 90 degrees. Everything else was smooth as butter. Thank God! Next time at 200k, I am contemplating not replacing that large roller. Too much stress and who know if more threads get damaged somehow. I don't want to be in a position where I have to re-tap those threads. Yikes.

Last edited:

Aloha-boy

TDI
CKRA
Awesome write up! eugene89us, are you willing to rent out the seal removal and installer tools? I tried to use a hook pick to remove the crankshaft seal and failed. I didn’t want to risk scoring the mating surfaces, so I stopped. Now, I will have to wait for the tools to complete the job.

The wife approved to buy the tools. I just want to see if I can save a few bucks there. So yeah, let me know on the tool rental.

eugene89us

Veteran Member
TDI
@Aloha-boy Yeah, absolutely! Are you doing both the camshaft and crankshaft? I got the puller for newer type seals without the skirt that will both work for camshaft and crankshaft. I also have a 35mm puller for crankshaft if yours is sporting the one with a "skirt." Mine was weird, I expected the thicker skirt-style on crankshaft as the replacement one was, but the one installed from factory was the open style. See the photo where I have both old and new crank seak on my lap. Which one does your car have? I have the installer sleeve and pusher for the crankshaft. The camshaft I ended up buying the wrong guide sleeve (damn it, but the correct one was over $100 and backordered!), thankfully the seal already came with the sleeve. And the installer I had worked alright. I will be happy to ship them to you. I'd probably request some kind of PayPal deposit of tool costs depending on what you request. Then once I get them back, I return 80% back to you minus shipping cost for me. VW SnapOn charges shipping, so that will be a wash (except you'll be stuck shipping it back any snail version you choose) and 20% "wear and tear" I think sounds reasonable? Let me know what you think, I am not trying to make money, and frankly I don't even know I will get to use these next time (car seems to be falling apart - thought that was over. Now the door latch is not working, and the sun visor clip broke. As Scotty Kilmer says - "Endless Money Pit" LOL). I got the pullers, installers, timing belt tools from Metal Nerd, counter hold tools were useful too. Let me know.

Edit: This tool is missing from my kit that I ended up ordering incorrect one specifically for CAMshaft seal install: 10-203, Seal Installer - Crankshaft/Camshaft - VW Authorized Tools and Equipment (snapon.com) But it perpetually backordered and is over $100. My engineered way worked alright, a few months later and I see no leaks (knock on wood), but I had to do some "field engineering" to use the wrong installer. I still avoided having to bang the seal in. Crankshaft was soooo easy with the right tools. I smiled installing that. If you find the 10-203 somewhere, we may be able to strike some deal with me paying you for it. OCD in me wants a complete set... And yet, I may never use it again. :(

Last edited:

eugene89us

Veteran Member
TDI
Here are crank tools for crankshaft if you end up having the same seal from factory as I had:

Then here, I have the tool I bought that I EXPECTED to use on crankshaft, but it turned out to be a different seal. I did not return it, since the replacement seal I installed will require this tool next time:

I am curious what crank seal your car came with. Did you have a chance to photograph it? Could you share it? I wonder if my car was simply a 5pm Friday night production or if that is what VW had at a time.

Aloha-boy

TDI
CKRA
Oh man I knew I should’ve waited. The wife got in my ear, so I caved and ordered the T10443 puller earlier this morning. I told her it’s a tool I’ll use every 80k miles, oh well.

Per your request, here‘s a picture of my seal. Don’t mind it being all chewed up, I tried.

Here’s my makeshift crankshaft holding tool/strap. I used a $6 exhaust hanger from Autozone. Angle grinded it to fit flat and used the existing hardware. Worked great!

Aloha-boy

TDI
CKRA
I was thinking of making my own seal installer with the old crankshaft bolt and an old socket, but I may take you up on your seal installer.

eugene89us

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, your seal is definitely the skirtless one where you can see the Teflon seal facing out. That is what I had. And I am certain the replacement seal you got has that thick black skirt with a seal that faces into the engine. That makes seal installer needed. I got the OEM seal that was NOT pre-installed on a plastic sleeve. If you got aftermarket like Elring, you probably have it on a sleeve. But installer is so much nicer. Just run the bolt until the installer bottoms out and you got a perfect install. As you see on video, the crank removal was super easy. I had trouble with cam seal as the lip kept escaping from the sharp puller edge. Had to reposition and tighten stronger. I worry mangled seal may result in same hardship.

Okay, I can ship the installer tomorrow. How fast do you need it, and where is it going? Send me a PM, I will get you my cell so we can communicate directly. The plastic gray installer that I have in the photo attached to Hazet ratchet is all you need?

eugene89us

Veteran Member
TDI
If you're able to call them and see if they can cancel the order, it will save you load of money for sure. Worst case, if my Passat bites the dust or sells one day (not that I plan it), I could gift it to you in the future. Lol. You'll have my cell to text me in the future even if our forum visits become less frequent. Tell you what, I will bring both the puller and the installer with me to work tomorrow. I get off at 4pm Central, I can ship it right then if you decide on it. Either way, let me know. Think of anything else you may need?

eugene89us

Veteran Member
TDI
Sounds good. I don't recall cancel button on site. But there is a phone number. I can assure you they did not work on the order today due to holiday. I will check my messages tomorrow morning at 6am, going to bed now. Two tools in my trunk just in case. If you change mind, no big deal, I can return them back to my tool shed tomorrow. If you think of something else, let me know by 6am tomorrow as well. Thanks!

Aloha-boy

TDI
CKRA
Shout out to eugene89us! Thanks for renting out your seal puller and installer tools. They made the crank seal replacement smooth as butter! My timing belt job was pretty straight forward.

Couple mistakes I made to note:
1. I started routing belt on the Cam. Service manual says to start the belt on the crank sprocket. When I reassembled everything and went to start it. It would start, then immediately die. Disassembled everything, locked the Cam and HPFP. Found the crank sprocket was off by one tooth. Retimed the TB, triple checked the timing, then reassembled the motor. Started and idled on the first crank. Huge thanks again to eugene89us for helping me in trouble shooting after the TB install.

2. I removed the motor mount to do my TB replacement. I have a feeling I induced a coolant leak on the right side of the motor right above the trans. I think it happened when I lowered the motor to low, causing the hoses from the firewall heater core connector to the motor to be pulled too hard. I tried looking for the source of the leak, but was unable to definitively determine what component was the culprit.