GTG Winnsboro SC Saturday July 14

AlcoC420

Veteran Member
TDI
Very excited about having everyone back again this year! I hope it is half as good as last year. Thinking about fish fry this year. How does that sound?
And you can recycle the fry oil into more biodiesel! Eat fish and kick OPEC at the same time. :)

You'll be pumping biodiesel for buyers that day, right? Thanks.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Folks,
Just got back in town from a two week vacation. They thougt it was hot in Alaska when it got over 70...
It will take me a while to plow through the posts, PMs, and e-mails.
Hopefully I will be caught up by Wednesday or so.

Dan

addicted

TDI
2004 Touareg TDI
I plan on making it. Is there a place to pull the popup? 3 hour drive but might have to make a long day out of it as we will just be getting off a 2 week 1800 mile trip. Just got my v10 back Friday after 10 months in the shop and owning it only 10 months. Have plenty of things to work on but just want to come and enjoy the time and learn from you all.

BioJoe

TDI
Toureag 09
I plan on making it. Is there a place to pull the popup? 3 hour drive but might have to make a long day out of it as we will just be getting off a 2 week 1800 mile trip. Just got my v10 back Friday after 10 months in the shop and owning it only 10 months. Have plenty of things to work on but just want to come and enjoy the time and learn from you all.
Yes There is plenty of room for a pop up. Bring It On!

ncroadwarrior

Veteran Member
TDI
04 JSW bew
+ concrete space out front is very limited....Rocketchip has to use most of it for his setup, and there has to be space for Bio-Joe to sell bio-diesel

most folks were in the grass lot just below the entrance ....

I think were trying to say in a nice way that space is limited , but if there is a major screw up I think it can be worked out...

my .02

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
I am running behind my Wednesday forecast. I have been ill since I got home. Walking Pneumonia.

Please post most of your questions here, someone can answer them.

Dan

jcilforever

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta (SOLD), 2004 Beetle, 2003 Jetta Wagon (parts car) all manuals all for sale
I am running behind my Wednesday forecast. I have been ill since I got home. Walking Pneumonia.

Please post most of your questions here, someone can answer them.

Dan
Dan,

Will be praying for your full recovery! Please let me know how I can help in any way.

BioJoe

TDI
Toureag 09
Know Dan has been out of town ?anyone know how to post a worklist?

BioJoe is there room for jack stands outside the plant (solid surface i.e concrete or other ) to work safley under cars? have stands and wheel chocks.
Yes concrete everywhere plenty of room and even a working big floor lift inside the plant. only raises to chest height but you can use if needed. This place used to be a tire service center so it was left behind.

TDI911

TDI
Jetta
GTG in Winnsboro questions???

I am not sure what this is? Do I bring food, beer or just some used oil?? haha

I am a new owner of a TDI Jetta... The one with the black racing stripes. I have orded a key and have VAGCDS on the way from RossTech will anyone be able to help with setting up the immobilizer?

Thanks,

BP

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
Sorry, the reason I asked to be added to the list was not for help or resources it is just because I know that they like to know what work is going on.

I have been unable to connect with the crowd that wrenches on cars on other occasions. For the turbo I am not asking for help, just if I have a question that comes up.

Maybe it would be a good idea to set up a group who like to wrench on their cars and have gatherings that are seperate to give the guys that help in events the opportunity to do work on their own cars and have knowlegable people around for advice.

Have helped at the last three and was not asking for resources except stable ground for jack stands, did not request any help either, but would not turn it down .

As always I bring my own tools.

Most guys can understand that when at home the wife finds things for you to do and the car often comes dead last, but when you have somewhere to go or someone to meet exceptions are made
I can tell you from experience...it's much much easier to install a turbo from the top on a MKIV jetta/golf....you have to pull the intake for clearance (15min extra) but it beats the heck out of laying on your back and getting rust/grease/dirt in your eyes and mouth....every bolt nut fitting can be accessed without ever crawling under the car....that being said it's probably not the greatest idea to attempt a turbo change/upgrade at this particular GTG being that it's at a business in downtown winsboro and not at Dan's place....if something goes horribly wrong it just makes a tough situation tougher.... EDIT!...if you do insist on swapping turbos please bring a turbo feed line at the minimum!!....the BEW turbos fittings tend to twist easier than the ALH fittings and on top of that the "homemade" special wrench for ALH turbos will not fit the BEW fitting so you may end up cutting your line to get the turbo off

Last edited:

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Nobody is trying to make you feel unwelcome. It's just the nature of this GTG, being hosted by an operating business, that if a car gets half way apart, then there is a problem, it becomes a mess for all involved. If you are somewhat local and have access to a tow/trailer, then I'm sure it would be fine.

If turbo has not been recently off, there is alot of opportunity for bolts to break off and stop you half through.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
Jcil I don't feel like your being singled out .... Gtg's are a friendly welcome place ....those of us have done this kind of work for awhile understand the pitfalls and how they can leave a car/driver stranded in the middle of a big project....that being said the biggest pool of helpful advice will be on these forums if you decide to do the turbo at home

Last edited:

ncroadwarrior

Veteran Member
TDI
04 JSW bew
Neil,
nothing personal at all , please do not take it that way..folks want to help...this gtg has a "different" flavor, hard to describe but if you goggle earth it....300 S. congress st winnsboro, sc I think you will see what folks are trying to say....please note the Shell gas/Conv store adjoining ....add rocketchip and biodiesel sales ...

Most wrenching/diagnostics were done at top of grassy lot ..

goTDIcandy

Veteran Member
TDI
white 05 Golf
Winnsboro, July 14

Whoo-hoo! A TDI GTG! Dean & I plan to be there. Looking forward to it.
And we're now officially NC residents :) !
Kristina

ecodean

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 golf, 85 jetta(sold), 03 jetta(sold)
Would anyone have an oil extractor that I could use at this GTG? Mine got lost when we moved to NC and my oil drain plug has been sealed to keep it from leaking (threads are almost gone). I also would like it if some of the experts there could help me figure out my turbo lag problem.

Ike T

TDI
2003 Jetta
Would anyone have an oil extractor that I could use at this GTG? Mine got lost when we moved to NC and my oil drain plug has been sealed to keep it from leaking (threads are almost gone). I also would like it if some of the experts there could help me figure out my turbo lag problem.
If I can make it, I'll bring mine. I won't know until the day prior if I can make it.

AARodriguez Corp.

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2009 JSW and Golf 2004 TDI

Hi guys, I'll be at Dan's G2G, I'll be able to tune anything '96 - 2012, and we can do DSG tuning.\
***PLEASE REGISTER HERE***
This is NOT a commitment to tuning, just a tool to help me schedule your tune

Last edited:

sccaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
96TDI Passat, 1.6 81d caddy, 86d golf, 82d rabbit, 81ALH caddy, 82 Westy
I'd like to install a short throw shifter in my mk1 caddy. Its an OSVW one. Any help as to what special tools would be great.

sccaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
96TDI Passat, 1.6 81d caddy, 86d golf, 82d rabbit, 81ALH caddy, 82 Westy
ill try again to get the pic

Last edited: