GTG January 28,2012 Chapin, SC

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Looks like work travel might get in the way. Too many days gone in back to back weeks. I'll have to wait until the summer gtg. By then I should need the dsg service on my JSW and would really like help the first time.

All y'all have fun now!

goTDIcandy

Veteran Member
TDI
white 05 Golf
Dean & I are signed up on the list. We'll bring some munchies, etc.
Can anyone replace glowplugs or the harness? My scangauge is throwing 3 glowplug codes. Don't want to go to a dealer! It's an '05 Golf.
Thanks!
Kristina

\/\/0J0

Veteran Member
TDI
Sadly, none anymore
So.... Instead of getting to hang out and have fun with everyone in Chapin, I get to work (4) 16 hour days in a row. I am more disappointed than I have words for. Was looking forward to this gtg since it was announced.

laundryeater

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf, '15 Golf SW
Yeah, there's quite a bit of "air pressure" when I open the cap, even after the engine is completely cold. I haven't checked the hoses yet- you mean pressure built up in them?

do you get hard hoses when cold after boosting?...lots of "air pressure" when you loosen the cap?

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Yeah, there's quite a bit of "air pressure" when I open the cap, even after the engine is completely cold. I haven't checked the hoses yet- you mean pressure built up in them?
Yep, he is asking if you have gas pressure in the system swelling up the hoses.

Blast, since you have no EGR cooler (right?) it is almost certainly a head gasket leak. This is the third probable head gasket leak I have heard of in the last month, in the Carolinas.

Last edited:

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
So.... Instead of getting to hang out and have fun with everyone in Chapin, I get to work (4) 16 hour days in a row. I am more disappointed than I have words for. Was looking forward to this gtg since it was announced.
Sorry to hear that you cannot make it.

I have the same type of thing happen to me in my business. If the power plant is down, you work until it is back up. Usually we don't get a week's notice, though.

It is hard when earning a living gets in the way of having fun, but there are many worse issues to have.

There will probably be a spring Asheville, GTG, and others.

goTDIcandy

Veteran Member
TDI
white 05 Golf
Hi Dan - What parts does my car need? I will call Peter at ID Parts to order them. Hopefully he can bring them with him.... My car is an 05 Golf; I'd like to replace the ceramic plugs.
Looking forward to seeing everyone!
Thanks for hosting!
Kristina

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Sorry, guys, I don't think I'm coming down. Too much going on here. If you want anything for the GTG we'll ship it free. Select Local/GTG pickup on the shipping page and write that it's for Dan's GTG in Chapin in the comments section. We'll send the orders direct to Dan.

If we get a quiet spell I may come down last minute, but this way folks will have what they need regardless.

laundryeater

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf, '15 Golf SW
The head gasket goes a little beyond my experience level and amount of free time :( Any suggestions on where I could take it around Asheville? Landon's son maybe?

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Hi Dan - What parts does my car need? I will call Peter at ID Parts to order them. Hopefully he can bring them with him.... My car is an 05 Golf; I'd like to replace the ceramic plugs.
Looking forward to seeing everyone!
Thanks for hosting!
Kristina

I just called Dean and Kristina, the car (confusingly) had the recall done 2 or more years ago, but they did NOT replace the glow plugs. So the wrong glow plugs may still be installed, maybe original ceramics.

About all we can do is get an assortment of the possible glow plugs we may need to use, a new harness, and then measure the voltage and choose the proper glow plug.

Another option they may have, is to call their local VW dealer and tell them they had the first recall done but are having cold weather starting issues and get the latest recall/TSB done. This may be free. I have seen where one or two folks have been successfull with this. Also, I think the first recall ended up with an extended warranty to Dec 2012.

It is referred to as Emissions Service Action 28F6/T9 (formerly 28E6/R8). It specifies direct correlation with ECM software and glow plugs reprogramming and replacement.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I'm sending both steel and the new ceramic glow plugs with a harness. You can use whichever ones seem best and return the others.

MKIInut

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon Spice Red
Hey Dan looks like I'll be able to make it.
I need my oil changed. Don't you have the evac system where you take the oil from the dipstick tube? I have a new filter and oil.
Also I need to get my coolant temp sensor changed. The seal is leaking. I will have to purchase it before the trip. I have a gallon of G12 and a gallon of distilled water..

Do I need any other items that you can think of. I will bring some brake fluid and other shop supplies to replace what I owe you and have used in the past.

Is there anyone good at removing the rear door panels on a wagon so I can get my speaker cover replaced? LMK

Also I tried to add these to the google signin page but it was doing weird things so I figured I'll stop before I deleted it all.

Last edited:

laundryeater

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf, '15 Golf SW
Well I'm most likely going to be looking for soot in my coolant instead of making this one now. Daniel will take care of me though. I hate to miss another one.

MichelleRoze

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 New Beetle
Looks like I will need some help this gtg after all. The bug now has a check engine light and an air bag light. Plus I'm having this funky idle issue. The car will start and rev up to 2500k RPM then come back down and idle around 1100k RPM. And it may stay there and it may not. Then sometimes while at a traffic light, it'll be idling at about 800k/900k RPM and just randomly increase to 1100k RPM and then come back down after about a minute. It's the weirdest thing ever and I just want to make sure that everything is ok. So anyone with a vagcom that is able to help would be greatly appreciated.

The only other thing I MAY do is brake fluid and swap calipers (if there is time), but other than that, I think I'm good. :) Looking forward to it. Hoping it'll be a warm weekend! But with the weather lately, it could honestly go either way lol

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Michelle,
Given those symptoms, why don't you call IDParts.com and order a coolant temperature sensor and a liter of coolant?

Or call Wray VW in Columbia (they are open this morning) and ask them if they have one in stock - that means they may have one next saturday if we need one.

If you can get your codes read this weekend, then we'll know more.

Monday before noon is the deadline for IDParts orders.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Hey Dan,

Have you or anyone ever replaced the steering angle sensor? Mkiv Jetta 03 I think this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6t2hJCFqX0w
(We think that is what is wrong) I'm trying to get our (Merlyn and I's) father to come to this GTG. We tried using VDCS and running the alignment calibration then driving it straight for x amount.
Or any idea what could be causing the problem? Not sure if he can make it or not yet. I'll post the error code it is throwing when I get it from my Father.

Thanks Daniel
Daniel,
Sorry,
I just realized I had not replied to this post.

I have changed out a steering angle sensor, it is pretty easy to do.

A bent tie rod end can cause an error message, too. But on mine it was an electrical failure.

There is a wrecked 03 in the yard right now we can borrow one from. I had entertained hopes of selling an ESP kit from it (steering angle sensor would be part of that) but we can work something out, I am sure.

I bought mine from GioTDI, he pulled it out of a junkyard, for $50.

Dan

BoiseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Golf - SOLD
I am pushing hard to try and make this gtg if the wife is ok with it. Our block leave starts that weekend so the timing is right. I have a Frostheater to install at the least. Would also like to change all the fluids if time permits since it's been sitting for the last year. =)

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
I am pushing hard to try and make this gtg if the wife is ok with it. Our block leave starts that weekend so the timing is right. I have a Frostheater to install at the least. Would also like to change all the fluids if time permits since it's been sitting for the last year. =)
If you can't make the GTG, you know where my garage is.

That line in the signature gives you extra access to borrow the space and tools to catch up your maintenance.

BoiseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Golf - SOLD
I appreciate it, thank you very much! I am going to try my hardest to make the GTG. I ran it by the wife again today and there weren't any notable objections. :D

If you can't make the GTG, you know where my garage is.

That line in the signature gives you extra access to borrow the space and tools to catch up your maintenance.

nickeasy

TDI
Build date 2-11, 2011 Golf 6M 2D TDI
Dan:

Newbie, first diesel, second VW. I hope to make your GTG with the factory skid plate from Pete and installation would be great. Now, if only "Jupiter aligns with Mars" and work allows. Is next Wednesday or Thursday too late to sign-up? Also, I can bring a gallon of barbecue sauce or possibly hand it off to Pete as he passes by Savannah if I can't make Saturday.

Perry