GTG January 28,2012 Chapin, SC

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
The winter GTG will be Saturday, January 28th 2012 at my house in Chapin, SC.
8 am to 8 pm.

A Pig will be prepared and presented by Engineerorange.
Side dishes will be provided.
Bring chips, snacks, drinks and deserts, please.

Jeff Robertson of Rocketchip will be present for tunes.
If you own a VW diesel and are within (whatever you consider) driving distance, these types of gatherings are worth going to.
There will be several mechanics there who specialize in TDI's; this is an excellent chance to get diagnostics and often repairs done with no labor charges. There will also be several very knowledgeable amateurs who can help with minor mods and repairs.
If you have a TDI from 2003 and earlier, get your timing checked - help ensure easy starting this winter.

If you need immobilizer matching, bring your new keys (will not be able to cut them, just match them.)

Please sign up on this Google spreadsheet (note the tab with directions and the address): 2012 January Chapin GTG sign up and directions

Food, light wrenching, shooting the breeze, about the same as the earlier GTG's.

Last edited:

benIV

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 PG 5m Jetta GL Sedan, 2003 RS 5m Jetta GLS Wagon (Golf Variant)
I haven't been to any gtg yet, but I'd like to. I'm putting it down on my calendar and hopefully can make it.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Someone has volunteered to bring immobilizer matching gear. So bring any key fobs that you want matched.
We will NOT be able to cut the metal keys themselves.

If you need to use any specialty tools at the GTG, then let us know.

Please no TB jobs the day of the GTG. If you want to make arrangements with one of the several mechanics that will be there (or at least that I hope will be there) then the day before or the day after the GTG may be possible.

The lift use will be rationed out - no long jobs on it.

DidJettarun

Veteran Member
TDI
A5 2005.5 Jetta A4 2003 Jetta
I should know this week if I can be there. Also, I am going to start getting the head ready to drop in this evening. Won't need a bay until later in the week, if it's available.

engineerorange

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta
If I can figure out how to get the pig and the Passat there, I have a persistent glow plug code that I need help getting rid of. Was intermittent for awhile, now it's pretty annoying and will have to be fixed before February, inspection is due and they won't do it without the readiness code I don't think. I can bring a set of glow plugs and a harness(all 4 are separate on the B5) if somebody can figure it out and fix it while I work some black magic on a pig.

VWSHPFRMN

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
None at the time
Glow Plug

If I can figure out how to get the pig and the Passat there, I have a persistent glow plug code that I need help getting rid of. Was intermittent for awhile, now it's pretty annoying and will have to be fixed before February, inspection is due and they won't do it without the readiness code I don't think. I can bring a set of glow plugs and a harness(all 4 are separate on the B5) if somebody can figure it out and fix it while I work some black magic on a pig.
I can take a look at it. Should be a simple fix.

midntdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6SP
Dan, I haven't fixed the glow plug yet. I will definitely try and get some time on dry land to come down and chat/wrench. February or early March is probably the best bet. I will let you know. Hope you and the family are doing well and wish them the best from me.

ncroadwarrior

Veteran Member
TDI
04 JSW bew
thanks Dan, I plan on attending....

missed the last one ...

I would like to delete the EGR Cooler (04 bew)(diesel geek kit)
If anyone has done this B/4 -I will need some guidance... $$....pm me if interested

tks bill

Last edited:

MichelleRoze

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 New Beetle
Weather permitting, I'll be there. I have no repairs needed at this time but there is time tO think of something. :)

ATLSilverTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Special Edition Jetta - Silver
I'll try to put my name on the list for this GTG. Probably don't have much to do at that time, as if I am good, will be working with my local guru to get my TB and DSG service done. Only thing i can think of is scanning my remote keyfobs to see if they are working and if somoene is versed in Sunroof drain procedure. May bring fuel filter to change out and consider buying some purge to do a dieselpurge (should have 120K by then) if it is merited. That is normally Auto show time for me, so i have to check the calendar.
John.

ATLSilverTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Special Edition Jetta - Silver
Okay, maybe want to do a EGR block off plate if I can find parts and remove the cooler.

50R BTR

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Dan,

You can warm up the leaf blower for me....will try to be there on Friday Afternoon to help with any setup. Missed the summer GTG and the Asheville due to work...but as luck would have it...I may be out of work by the 25th...so good timing! :D

Have some minor PMs (60k maintenance?) to do and maybe hook-up for a scan. Available for some wrenching also if needed...and as always, looking forward to a good time and some great company.

Mike

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Terry,
Sounds good. I usually have an alternator pulley on hand, but no guarantee.

John, we should be able to help you with that.

Mike,
I will save an air bed for you Friday and Saturday nights. Got help those folks on extended vacations. You might apply with the Shaw Group (Summer Station site) and check SCANA.com for job openings. Lots of work building two new power plants near here.

Bill,
No problem, paid or unpaid, we can scare up some help for you. Yours is relatively easy (compared to a BRM.)

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Folks,
If anyone has an old style lift pump laying around, you may want to bring it. I have 6 replacement electric motor/pump units that fit in them. So for about $70 you can have your pump fixed now.

I have also been working on an improved fuel filter set up for the PD and Common Rail engines. I have the alpha test rig installed in my 2005 Jetta Sedan. I hope to put something very similar in my wife's 2010 Common Rail.

Something for show and tell, I guess.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Noted.....

Edit: time off scheduled. Looks like Bruce, Eric, and Rachel this run.....weather permitting!

Last edited:

Houpty GT

Veteran Member
TDI
Corrado TDI, 2000 Golf, 1996 B4 Variant
Folks,
If anyone has an old style lift pump laying around, you may want to bring it. I have 6 replacement electric motor/pump units that fit in them. So for about $70 you can have your pump fixed now.

I have also been working on an improved fuel filter set up for the PD and Common Rail engines. I have the alpha test rig installed in my 2005 Jetta Sedan. I hope to put something very similar in my wife's 2010 Common Rail.

Something for show and tell, I guess.
This is news! I will have to disassemble that one you gave me so I can get it to compress into the Corrado. Reserve one of these puppies for me. The MK4 fuel sender is currently leaking at the top.

Last edited:

Marinel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Im going to try to make it to this gtg. Its been a while since ive been since its hard for me to take time off these days. I might be bringing some tools and detailing supplies if anyone needs help with anything. The last time I was at Dans GTG I polished headlights on some peoples cars.