GTG January 28,2012 Chapin, SC

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Nick,
There is no deadline for the sign up, or even for showing up. We just try to get an idea of how much work is to be done, and how many mouths to feed.

If you must defile the barbecue with sauce, hide it from Wade. There are regional issues with sauce, pepper, vinegar etc. that can result in heated debates.

(Since he is an engineering graduate from Clemson University, there is not too much danger that he will get his wife to read your post aloud to him... It will probably escape his notice.)

Should be no problem getting the plate installed.

engineerorange

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta
Nick,

If you must defile the barbecue with sauce, hide it from Wade. There are regional issues with sauce, pepper, vinegar etc. that can result in heated debates.

Nick, there is no "sauce" on barbeque. The "sauce" is what the cook drinks while seasoning the pig. (the pig tastes better if the cook was "sauced") If you think you want sauce, bring some. I only ask that you try the barbeque before you ruin it with that ketchup laced swill.

(Since he is an engineering graduate from Clemson University, there is not too much danger that he will get his wife to read your post aloud to him... It will probably escape his notice.)

Ahhh but Dan, what you fail to realize is that my wife is also an engineering graduate from Clemson University. She reads aloud about as well as I do. And a threat to defile barbeque never escapes my notice.
All in jest, all in jest.
I can't wait to see everyone and have some fun slinging vinegar and pepper.

addicted

TDI
2004 Touareg TDI
My Touareg is still in the shop but my neighbor has a couple of TDI's. Maybe I'll talk him into coming up.

Will meet with you all one of these days.

BioBob

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta (G3F Donor), 2003 Bora
Parts available

Hey Dan:

Will be attending, unfortunately NOT in the G3F!

I have stripped the donor, and have lots of interior parts available (beige). The front clip is gone but I have a good rear bumper complete (blue) and Sunroof parts.

If you know of anyone who might be interested (I have not had the chance to read all 10 pages), please pass their name on to me , and I will contact them.

I'm also looking for a builder for the kit car. The original plan was to have Whitby (Greensboro) do the job, but the Smith feud ended that plan, so now I have a stripped car in Greensboro, and no builder!

Lot's to talk about on Saturday.

Bob

ATLSilverTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Special Edition Jetta - Silver
I am tentative to show up at the GTG.

Things I wanted to look at:
If we have anyone that is polishing headlight lenses, would like that.
Adjustment of headlights?

Fuel Filter replacement: (I have 116K miles, should i do a diesel purge?)

Check to see what clunking is on backing up? Sounds like a bushing, not sure if it is on the brake calipers or what.

No major work needed for me.
John.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e

If we have anyone that is polishing headlight lenses, would like that.
Adjustment of headlights?

Fuel Filter replacement: (I have 116K miles, should i do a diesel purge?)

Check to see what clunking is on backing up? Sounds like a bushing, not sure if it is on the brake calipers or what.

John.
I can certainly help you with the headlight adjustments if I'm there. My preferred method is to go for a drive and adjust things by sight. I've had much better results with this than with measurements on a garage door.

N41EF

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf, 2009 ML 320, 2006 NB, 2001 NB
Thanks to a tip here I fould diesel purge at NAPA on the shelf. I would if you don't think it's ever been done before.

valvecrusher

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat, '00 Jetta
i found a few things i could do to the OLD granddaddy IDI that i hope to bring down to an S.E. gtg for THE LAST TIME!

I have a limping TDI(finally got a tdi), and i hope to get a few skills so i can 'sort out the issues'..

It's a 1z, 1996 Passat.

Is anyone doing a compression test on their TDI?(1z, or AHU)
PM me, i'd like to see the procedure..I CAN bring my HF comp tester if need be....and i find it...

Also, i'd like to re-torque the headbolts on the IDI, and see if that helps stop the oil leaks..

does anyone want to assist or guide...:confused:
right now, i don't even have the 12pt triple square bit...
but i think i can get one by Fri.

If I can figure out the compression test on the 1z, maybe by spring i can finally drive my TDI...

ATLSilverTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Special Edition Jetta - Silver

1) Polishing headlight lenses
2) Adjustment of headlights
3) Fuel Filter replacement: (I have 116K miles, should i do a diesel purge?)
4) Check clunking on backing up? Sounds like a bushing, not sure if it is on the brake calipers

Added (higher priority)
5) Verify Key Fobs are working, (I think I read a post that VCDS may be needed. I am trying to figure out if the transmitters are dead, or if I just need them reset (fresh batteries already installed, and will have new fresh batteries with me)
6) Check Airbag light, this isn't the recall issue, was told it could be a clockspring, but not sure, is this even fixable at a GTG?

John.
Resent my original post, when i went to google docs there was only 1 person entered on the spreadsheet...

BioBob

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta (G3F Donor), 2003 Bora
Thanks

Hey Marauderer:

Thanks for the tip!

I have no idea why I couldn't find it. I tried it from the opening post.

Thanks Again,
Bob

CinRG

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
All - I've confirmed with my wonderful wife that Sat is good to go. I'd like to do a tranny filter/fluid chg & diesel purge. Also, I'm hearing a hissing in engine (vac leak) I'd like to look @.

I've ordered my tranny parts from idparts. Pete is shipping them direct to Dan! Apparently, there are a few orders for the GTG so he is just putting all the orders in one box & shipping them out today. Will bring sodas & a dessert with me.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
We're shipping the GTG orders today, had to have an intercooler pipe tapped for a boost gauge. They'll get there Friday. If you have any last minute orders place them on the site by 4:00 PM and we'll do our best to get them out with the other orders.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Reservations made at a place where Miss Rachel can swim Fri/Sat nights.

Caught up the minor stuff on the Jetta Wagon. Starting to lay out the various boxes that always travel with me.

See y'all Saturday morning. Dan, may stop by Friday when I pass thru to drop off tools and stuff.

Just ordered 100+ foot of black silicone line. Does that need to come with me?

Anyone game to help me put a Sigma 5 shifter on the wagon???? I've never installed one before.

bowelder

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW golf TDI with tech package
was hoping to come and was planning to come. Now i have to work Saturday. I hope you all have a successful GTG

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
Anyone game to help me put a Sigma 5 shifter on the wagon???? I've never installed one before.
Thought you were saving for a sigma 6 and the other goodies that go with it. :)

They are really easy as I have done two. Plus Jim's instructions are superb! My first one had a few burs on the inside that prevented the cable from sliding in smooth. As long as you don't have any burs it is super easy along with adjustment.

DaMidget

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q7 Premium Plus
I was hoping something would happen that would allow me to come down... probably not gonna happen.

On a happier note, I ordered a 2012 Jetta TDI Sedan and a 2012 Audi TTS Coupe last Thursday. Jetta should be here mid February... TTS might make it in around April since I did a factory order. Oh the perks of being a VW employee :D Least I'll have a new ride for the next GTGs

Last edited:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Guys, it's final, I will not be there!

Two reasons: my brother is coming up from Georgia to work on his rent house. I have to help. The other reason, I've had a darn cold for 16 days and it ain't no better. I think I caught this cold from him when he was here about 16 days ago......LOL

So, I hope you all have nice weather and great time!

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Still on the fence about making this GTG. I'm hoping we can, but there's a ton of stuff that needs to get done around the house.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Anyone have injector pop testing equipment for IDI injectors?

Abaddon2501

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI Auto
Daniel,
Sorry,
I just realized I had not replied to this post.

I have changed out a steering angle sensor, it is pretty easy to do.

A bent tie rod end can cause an error message, too. But on mine it was an electrical failure.

There is a wrecked 03 in the yard right now we can borrow one from. I had entertained hopes of selling an ESP kit from it (steering angle sensor would be part of that) but we can work something out, I am sure.

I bought mine from GioTDI, he pulled it out of a junkyard, for $50.

Dan
Thanks Dan,
We had recently purchased a 2002 1.8T with a blow motor and hoped that it had the steering angle sensor but alas it had "ARS" and we came to find out does not have that sensor. So we'll have to work out something out. also looking to learn how to remove an Air Bag, we tried on the 2002 parts car we have for awhile but could not get it to pop out. See you on Saturday.

Daniel

schoolsout

Veteran Member
TDI
06.5 Jetta TDI DSG
I popped back in to say hey to all here and especially Dan! Wish I could make it, but life has other plans. School/work/hit a deer and taking car into shop this week type stuff :)

Hope y'all have fun!

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Well I was on the fence, but I'm not now. Just got a text from an employee who's wife just got out of the hospital for tumor removals and needs round-the-clock care for the next three or four days. That means I have to work for him this weekend even though I'm already at 40 hours for the week. Joy of joys.

Have a good time! I hope we can make the next one. :)