GTG January 28,2012 Chapin, SC

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
It would be good to see you again, Marinel.

I saw a recent post about EGR plates. Did you make them of thin stainless to slip into the joint, or did you make thicker ones that bolted on?
And do you have any left?

engineerorange

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta
Im going to try to make it to this gtg. Its been a while since ive been since its hard for me to take time off these days. I might be bringing some tools and detailing supplies if anyone needs help with anything. The last time I was at Dans GTG I polished headlights on some peoples cars.
If I have the Passat there I will trade you a BBQ sandwich for a headlight polish.

Marinel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI

I saw a recent post about EGR plates. Did you make them of thin stainless to slip into the joint, or did you make thicker ones that bolted on?
They're 1/4 inch thick steel plates. I went ahead and blocked my EGR cooler off since it was leaking. I have 4 sets of plates at the moment but I have 2 pending sales. I'm going to school for CNC right now so hopefully I can fabricate more parts later on.

DaMidget

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q7 Premium Plus
Hopefully I can make it, I haven't made it to a Chapin GTG in a while. If I land this new job and move back to Chattanooga, I probably won't get to make it; such is life I suppose

MichelleRoze

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 New Beetle
Just got a job this week, we'll see what the schedule says. Hoping I can still make it, but it's a seasonal job and I want to work as many hours as possible. So, we'll see....

DaMidget

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q7 Premium Plus
Well... I'm starting my new job at the VW plant in Chattanooga on January 9 so I doubt I'll be able to make it

loudspl

Veteran Member
TDI
02 ASV w/ 02J
I'm gonna try and get there too.

Missed Landon's GTG so gonna try for this one

A pig sounds good any time of the year :)

sccaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
96TDI Passat, 1.6 81d caddy, 86d golf, 82d rabbit, 81ALH caddy, 82 Westy
Will try and make it and bring inexperience.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Inexperience is no issue.
We have all types of owners show up (and we want all types of owners to show up.)
The high performance guys end up huddling over their cars.
The sound guys go deafen each other.
The high fuel economy guys confab about tires and rolling resistance.
The "make my car last forever" guys talk about longevity issues.
The mechanics and VCDS guys check out all the cars, as time allows.

This is great because there is all types of experience, and you can find the answer to almost any VW related question.

We also get to eat good.

All in all, something for everyone.

tomiegunn77

TDI
13 Passat, 00 Golf gl 5spd
I might try to make it out.. looks like about 4 hours from Atlanta. This will be my first GTG, interested in getting a tune, and just having the car looked over, as well as meeting people and seeing some cool rides!

Merlyn

TDI
02 Jetta GLS TDI Manual-5s
This was a great time last year! Anyone considering going should bundle up and head over. Good company and good food.

My brother and I should be able to make it up there, we missed Landon's and are overdue to a trip up to the mountains.

Will anyone be available with the 'special' brake removal tool and brake pedal removal knowledge? Possible going to swap out my brake pedal 1J1721142D for the 8N1721142B and would be happy to have a hand with it. Should be quick with the right tools, or so I hear... :p

Looking forward to seeing everyone again.

And remember... be very very careful with ASV actuators... plastic and cold do not mix. We learned that twice last year!

MKIInut

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon Spice Red
Going to try and make this one since we have not made any since the big move last January.

Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

MichelleRoze

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 New Beetle
Looks like I'll have Saturdays off with the new job. So I'll be there. IF I can get my calipers rebuilt, then I'd like to get those on and brake fluid changed, otherwise, I'll just be there for...the sake of being there lol

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI

So I'm assuming you don't have any of the thinner plates left?...those things are great for stealth EGR deleting !! :)

Merlyn

TDI
02 Jetta GLS TDI Manual-5s
Great, thanks! Also, looking forward to seeing you again!

I'll send you a PM regarding the pedal.

Ben...I'll have the tool on hand and I'll be happy to change out your brake :)... have you already obtained a manual pedal?

CalvinM

TDI
2003 Golf
Jimmy I thought that the axle beam bushings with the right tool didn't take very long at all? I guess with suspension the unsuspected can always come up. I assume this is what puts them in the major work category?

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
Jimmy I thought that the axle beam bushings with the right tool didn't take very long at all? I guess with suspension the unsuspected can always come up. I assume this is what puts them in the major work category?
may not be so hard with the right tool :)...I guess it's up to whoever wants to help ...I guess you wouldn't have to be on the lift to do it...if you can find the tool, I can find the time ;)

bowelder

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW golf TDI with tech package
This thread shouldn't be buried so deeply. I have a hard time finding it. I plan to attend. Is there anything You need as far as help? You mention eating well, well someone has to pay for or bring the food.

Is there a donation box, food sign up sheet or what?

just wondering how the food is taken care of?

Also, there will be a need for plastic gloves, shop towels, containers to handle the oil. Feel free to add anything to the needs list.

I may be available to do some light welding jobs. Carbon steel MIG. not sure about the transport of gas cylinder and welder in my car. If someone else has welding/cutting equipment, and are planning on bringing it, let me know

mazz1111

TDI
98 jetta, 99.5 golf
door wiring?

Hey everyone...i met some of you at Landon and Daniels in the fall....Dan and Jim you guys may remember working on the white ill-fated veggie(FORMER) GOLF.....

Anyway...car has been chugging along..and still has some healing to do...possible rings...tranny swap , etc....not GTG material...

HOWEVER... I was hoping to correct an annoying wiring issue in my driver door...windows are intermittent...trunk latch will occasionally only release fuel door...I heard rumors at last GTG of an inherent wiring problem- factory wires too short/ Is this something we can work on? If so - what in advance should I bring with me.....

THANKS!

mike

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Hey everyone...i met some of you at Landon and Daniels in the fall....Dan and Jim you guys may remember working on the white ill-fated veggie(FORMER) GOLF.....

Anyway...car has been chugging along..and still has some healing to do...possible rings...tranny swap , etc....not GTG material...

HOWEVER... I was hoping to correct an annoying wiring issue in my driver door...windows are intermittent...trunk latch will occasionally only release fuel door...I heard rumors at last GTG of an inherent wiring problem- factory wires too short/ Is this something we can work on? If so - what in advance should I bring with me.....

THANKS!

mike
The driver's door wiring harness is too short on the early A5 Jettas - 05.5 and 06.

You probably have a few broken wires in your door. It may be possible to scare up someone to help you work on it. Removing trim and plastic work is much more likely to cause breakage of some plastic piece in the winter than in warm weather.