GTG Chapin, SC January 25, 2014

parkair

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2001 silver
Sorry Dan, I was hoping to make this GTG, but cannot. Have a great time. Hello to everyone! Maybe next time.

Mike Parker

Turb0

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 GLS Wagon TDI
Dan, is a timing belt job completely out of the question? I'll be doing the work myself just need some eyes on it before I button it up. Cleaning the intake would be my first priority but was wondering if I can fit a TB job in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
I always strongly recommend against doing a TB at a GTG. I would rather you not do this at the GTG. There are too many distractions, and there have been a couple of sad results from careless errors.

Please do not plan to do the TB at the GTG.

Turb0

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 GLS Wagon TDI
I always strongly recommend against doing a TB at a GTG. I would rather you not do this at the GTG. There are too many distractions, and there have been a couple of sad results from careless errors.

Please do not plan to do the TB at the GTG.
Ok. No problem. I'll see if I attack the blend door issue instead. Is anyone bringing any of the heat resistant metallic tape?

ta79pr

Veteran Member
TDI
02 TTQ (BEW)
I doubt Dan wants it to turn into a swap meet, and I know the vendors have all packed up - but I might be needing a 3 bar map sensor, if anyone has a spare lying around.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Well, I'll be leaving very early in the morning.... And, sometime tomorrow I need to run over to Sparta, GA and pick up a transmission. Looks like it's a couple of hours over there.... may do that on the way back!

The high (26f) here today was about 6 degrees more than the forecast.

TurbineWhine

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2003, Platinum Grey
MK4 GLI or GTI Front Springs

If anyone has a set of MK4, GLI or GTI front springs, I would like to buy them. I will of course be at the GTG. Shipped from others is fine too.:)

TurbineWhine

spdracr0

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Silver Jetta
I know this is last minute,but would anyone attending have a good set of injector bodies? I have a new set of nozzles. My car has idled really rough ever since I put a used set of nozzles in it...

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Sadly, we have both the GLI springs and the injector bodies. They're sitting in the parts room of my garage........ :(

We are already in Chapin.

AARodriguez Corp.

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2009 JSW and Golf 2004 TDI
I know this is last minute,but would anyone attending have a good set of injector bodies? I have a new set of nozzles. My car has idled really rough ever since I put a used set of nozzles in it...
Why do you need a different set of bodies?

AARodriguez Corp.

TDI
I doubt Dan wants it to turn into a swap meet, and I know the vendors have all packed up - but I might be needing a 3 bar map sensor, if anyone has a spare lying around.
I'll bring one, I don't have the grommet to go around it though, not sure if that is optional or required.

AARodriguez Corp.

TDI
Ok. No problem. I'll see if I attack the blend door issue instead. Is anyone bringing any of the heat resistant metallic tape?

ugh, that's a big job. (6-8 hours for 2 people I think)

I'll bring some self-adhesive foam that is supposed to be better though.

vw_nut

Veteran Member
TDI
, 1981 VW pickup TDI Conversion, , 2000 Golf TDI,1985 Cabriolet 16V,2006 jetta
Water line is not yet fixed Dan had more than one break. Sorry, was really looking forward to this

jsrmonster

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
I should have map sensor grommets.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Guys, it will be well past 1:00 pm by the time I get there .... snowing like crazy here!

Andy

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Guys, it will be well past 1:00 pm by the time I get there .... snowing like crazy here!

Andy

Well, guys, I had to turn back a little over an hour ago. The roads are horrible here and getting worse!:mad:

Maybe next time!:)

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Home at midnight. Uneventful trip home with minimal stops. Met AndyBees in Williamsburg, KY and dropped off a part he needed.

Thanks to all that let Eric and I play with your cars. Strangely, mysteriously, my cooler had beer appear in it....wonder how that happened. ;)

Dan, you and your lovely lady made us feel very welcome. Thank you for that.

See y'all at the next GTG, wherever it may be!

Bruce

P.S. Diesel is $3.49/gallon at exit 10 on I26. We filled up going in both directions. :D. Thirty cents a gallon more here.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Thanks to all who came and donated their time and expertise.

VWSHPFRMN and Gunther VW deserve special mention for their support. Pete does a lot to show what a quality VW dealer's shop can provide. He has to be the single best public relations face for VW. His knowledge, expertise and friendly interaction display the depth of knowledge and expertise that go a very long way to show why people will drive across several states to use Gunther VW in Coconut Creek for major service.

Appalachian Diesel Works, Daniel and Landon for their untiring efforts with pop testing and general expertise.

Paramedick (Bruce) and his son Eric for the widespread help and advice they gave everone today.

Jimbote (Jimmy) for putting together the patio warmers and helping many people get problems fixed on their cars.

TerryTDI for the soft mudflaps, and the hours of help he donated to others.

DidJettarun and his better half Tamera who worked so tirelessly at the GTG and before it. They helped ensure a quality time for all.

Vince for bringing his grill and slaving over it for hours to prepare the meat.

The tuners - AARodriques (and Angelica) of Malone Tuning and Rocketchip (Jeff) who came down (or over) in spite of the weather to sell their products and help people solve problems with their cars. They definitely add a lot to the gathering.

The ladies that worked in the kitchen to prepare, serve and clean up after us all day are truly pearls beyond price.

There are undoubtedly others that I have forgotten to acknowledge here, but please know that we all did appreciate the help that you gave each other.

I enjoyed the whole day immensely.

tonystdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 700K miles, 2000 Jetta 288,000 miles
Hey just checking in, I made back home to Virginia at about 1:30 AM. Just want to say thanks to everyone who helped me with the intake manifold swap and my Malone Tune, you all know who you are, I think you all are great. I think the best things about these GTG's are we all had a really good time, meeting old friends, makeing new friends, sharing good food, and learning so much about our TDI's. You all made the day for me, can't wait for the next one. The only thing else I wish I did at the GTG was take a nap!

tonystdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Just checking in to let you all know that I made it back home to Virginia at about 1:30 AM. Thanks to everyone who helped me out with the intake manifold swap out and getting my Malone Tune installed, I'll fill up later today to see what kind of mileage I got coming and going to the GTG. It was really good to see some old friends, make some new friends and share some good food with you all. I learned so much at the GTG, I'm gald that Paramedick let me do a lot of the work on my intake manifold swap. Can't wait to see you all again. When I fill up later, I'll let you know what kind of fuel mileasge I got coming and going tho the GTG.

tonystdi

Veteran Member
TDI
I guess I should good bak to bed, nice double post, I'll just get some coffee!

Turb0

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 GLS Wagon TDI
I would also like to chime in and give thanks to Dan and all the crew for providing a great and eventful GTG. I want to thank TerryTDI for helping me with my intake and EGR delete, thank Jeff for the Rocketchip Tune, thank the guys that helped look over my MK3 and also helped burn my intake, and all the others that were there to provide guidance and knowledge. I had a great time and met a lot of awesome people. I will make this GTG a "must go" destination for me from now on (if im not deployed).

terrydtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 MK4 TDI Jetta 5spd
Dan, thank you and your family and other friends for providing great food.

Another awsome GTG met lots of great new people, and seeing all the regulars.

JR I hope you lights worked out ok.

Jose (TurbO) I'm glad you had a chance to make it to the GTG, I think you are getting the VW sickness...it's very contagious! ; )

Thank you everybody for the great fellowship and comradery, can't wait for the next one.

Last edited:

vw_nut

Veteran Member
TDI
, 1981 VW pickup TDI Conversion, , 2000 Golf TDI,1985 Cabriolet 16V,2006 jetta
Sorry Dan I couldn't get there water pipes fixed and just in time for another cold one, I know I missed a good GTG

Aztraveler

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold 2014 Jetta back to VW in 2016. In Oct 2020 Bought 2015 Passat TDI SE CPO
I had a great time. Good to see everyone. Thanks again to Newzboys and Jimmy for the help with the short shift upgrade.

Thanks again to Dan and his family for putting on a great GTG.

I look forward to the next one.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Cha2ga

Veteran Member
TDI
'11 JSW
Special thank you to Dan for being such a good host. You did a fantastic job working the floor! You and your wife are special people to open up your home to us. Thank you.

Thanks to Richard55 and Justin for helping me inspect my EGR valve, intake and taking the time to talk to me about a timing belt replacement.

Thanks to Andrew for being helping me get the Diesel Purge and TT Shifter. And especially to Eric for showing me how to do a diesel purge. It is special for a mechanic to teach you how to do something instead of doing it for you (give a man a fish...teach a man to fish...). Eric took his time and showed me how to remove and replace my shifter with the TT short shifter. He also conducted a nice inspection of my engine bay and pointed out some potential vacuum line issues that I need to address.Thanks so much. And I'm glad I was able to square him away and show him where Marines carry their smokes in a flight suit! lol.

I had a great time and my first GTG and am looking forward to more in the future.