GTG Chapin, SC January 25, 2014

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
jimbote, I didn't do a compression test, rather measured the piston protrusion when the head was off. All pistons were the same and poked out of the block within the measurements listed in my manual for a "2-hole" gasket.
A "blow-by-blow" description of what happened and what got done are in another thread.
BTW, What product is the "Diesel Purge" so many are referring to in other posts? I use an additive religiously in all my cars from the git-go and wonder if it is just a large portion of some of the same or something different.
you should be ok then .... i wasn't aware you had pulled the head ... carry on ! :)

drewkeen

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
Count me in. I'll be bringing my MK3 that needs the intake manifold cleaned badly! I bought new bolts, gasket, 2 egr plates with gaskets (to delete), and I've been treating the bolts to penetrating spray. What else should I bring for the cleaning?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A little bit of gasoline and a lighter.

Stromaluski

Veteran Member
TDI
'67 Deluxe Bus, '80 Rabbit Truck, '92 Corrado, '10 Cup Edition
Count me in. I'll be bringing my MK3 that needs the intake manifold cleaned badly! I bought new bolts, gasket, 2 egr plates with gaskets (to delete), and I've been treating the bolts to penetrating spray. What else should I bring for the cleaning?

I've got a spare 1Z/AHU manifold on the way for my b4. I can bring it with me to minimize the vehicle down time, if you'd like. :)

Turb0

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 GLS Wagon TDI
I've got a spare 1Z/AHU manifold on the way for my b4. I can bring it with me to minimize the vehicle down time, if you'd like. :)
That would be awesome. I would greatly appreciate it. I could use that time to address other issues that may come up and help others.

apple4ever

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI, 5sp manual, 280K miles
Alright, I'm definitely coming. These are the things I need to do for my car:
  • Oil change: I've never done one, so I figured this would be the perfect place to be instructed on how to do it. What do I need to bring besides the oil? I'm bringing Mobil 1 Truck Diesel. My garage uses Castrol Syntec, and I just had an issue where I was starting 10 degree weather and I was getting oil pressure warnings til the engine heated up. I'm getting an UOA but from the research I've heard the M1 is better in colder weather.
  • Radiator Thermoswitch: Anything besides the switch to bring?
  • Both Radiator fans: Anything besides the fans to bring?
I'm really excited to come on down!

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
I can sell you an oil filter, or you can bring your own.
Bring a gallon of G12++ (read plus plus) VW specific coolant.

I agree with the Mobil 1 turbo diesel truck oil 5w 40 oil. And we will make sure your oil filter is not in upside down.

rawmnivore

TDI
2000 Golf TDI 4DR
I'll be there with the Hindenburg. Robert T should be there as well, provided he's not busy making another baby.

I'll try to prioritize what needs done and post my wish list here. The list is too long and will need pairing down. How much time does it take to put on a new oil pan?

rawmnivore

TDI
2000 Golf TDI 4DR
As always, I will bring stuff from the farm to give to folks who kindly donate their time and fight the good fight with my car.

Stromaluski

Veteran Member
TDI
My injection pump decided that today would be a good day to start leaking. What all should I bring to reseal it? Just the seal kit?

Stromaluski

Veteran Member
TDI
Also, does anybody already have the necessary tubing/fittings/etc to run a can of diesel purge through my car, if I bring the diesel purge?

Cha2ga

Veteran Member
TDI
'11 JSW
I ordered and received my Intake Cleaning Kit. I got it from a vendor that supports this site. It arrived with the Victor Reinz intake gasket folded between what I presume is the port between #1 and #2 cylinders (or #3 and #4), so that it would fit in the mail. Having no experience with this task, I am unsure if I should seek replacement or if the gasket will be okay.
To be honest with you, I think this is piss poor. I didn't buy a folded gasket. Why should I have to risk a leak. I have maintained USMC helicopters, been a maintenance technician, and am a degreed engineering technician. That seems sloppy (to used compromised parts) and I'm not impressed with the company I bought this from.

Suggestions?

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
While it does not look nice, the metal gasket will be fine. I don't blame you for being annoyed, though.

I have a DP rig with the different size fittings for the B4. The A3/B4 has a smaller diameter return line.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
I ordered and received my Intake Cleaning Kit. I got it from a vendor that supports this site. It arrived with the Victor Reinz intake gasket folded between what I presume is the port between #1 and #2 cylinders (or #3 and #4), so that it would fit in the mail. Having no experience with this task, I am unsure if I should seek replacement or if the gasket will be okay.
To be honest with you, I think this is piss poor. I didn't buy a folded gasket. Why should I have to risk a leak. I have maintained USMC helicopters, been a maintenance technician, and am a degreed engineering technician. That seems sloppy (to used compromised parts) and I'm not impressed with the company I bought this from.

Suggestions?
it looks bad but that fold will have zero effect on sealing ... you could actually snip the bent section out and have two seperate gaskets instead of one

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
cha2GA,
Do all of us a favor (including the vendor).
Be sure to call the vendor and discuss it with him.
He will likely offer to replace it, and can make corrections where they are needed.

Cha2ga

Veteran Member
TDI
'11 JSW
cha2GA,
Do all of us a favor (including the vendor).
Be sure to call the vendor and discuss it with him.
He will likely offer to replace it, and can make corrections where they are needed.
I called the vendor this morning and was expecting to have to give a long explanation. I was pleasantly surprised when a replacement was offered up, no questions asked. I found myself wanting to plead my case, but he ha already taken the air right out of me! It is not often that consumers find unquestioned customer loyalty, support, and service. 30 minutes later I received an email with the new shipment info.
Great job. I will buy from you, and recommend you to everyone.
I want to state the name of the vendor, but am hesitant; because I implied that we're not good in my initial assessment. They did everything correctly to right the situation. Kudos.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
I was pretty sure that they would, most of the vendors that support the site here are very, very good to deal with.
He needed to know of the issue so he could prevent the problem for future customers.

dzkritzas

TDI
Jetta TDI
Hey Dan look forward to seeing you again this year. Got a little work I have to do so will most likely be there early like last year. Look forward to seeing everyone