GTG Chapin, SC January 25, 2014

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
If you need anything I might have, please let me know NLT Thursday 2100 hours. We hope to depart KY NLT 1000 Friday.

I will have my normal tool box, specialty tool box, mityvac, GTG box, and intake parts box for the VE cars. I always have one or two 1.5 liter bottles of G12+. VCDS netbook setup, of course.

fouckhest

Veteran Member
TDI
.:GTD, .:R32, DangerRanger
Hey just wanted to give the heads up that unfortunately wont be able to make it....optima took a dump in the diesel and funds are a little tight to go spend ~$250 on a battery right now....

sorry :/

Houpty GT

Veteran Member
TDI
Corrado TDI, 2000 Golf, 1996 B4 Variant
Hey just wanted to give the heads up that unfortunately wont be able to make it....optima took a dump in the diesel and funds are a little tight to go spend ~$250 on a battery right now....

Sounds like a $15 junkyard battery to me. Optima has questionable quality and produces many duds.

1972SS454

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI, 99.5 Jetta TDI

Sounds like you need the Danger Ranger to be a donor for a battery transplant ;).

rawmnivore

TDI
2000 Golf TDI 4DR
Does anyone have a tube of Dirko Universal Sealing Compound or something comparable I can purchase to use for an oil pan gasket? My shipment from Bora has been delayed and won't arrive in time for the GTG. My skid plate will also be late. Guess I'll have to keep rolling the dice awhle longer.

Also, does anyone have a universal 10mm or similar special tool I can use for my oil pan removal? Thanks.

paramedick

TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Does anyone have a tube of Dirko Universal Sealing Compound or something comparable I can purchase to use for an oil pan gasket? My shipment from Bora has been delayed and won't arrive in time for the GTG. My skid plate will also be late. Guess I'll have to keep rolling the dice awhle longer.

Also, does anyone have a universal 10mm or similar special tool I can use for my oil pan removal? Thanks.
Yes to all. I have the metalnerd handy dandy oil pan bolt tool.

Permatex "great stuff" sealer is also nice for these oilpans, but a bit pricey.

Last edited:

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Bruce,
What cure time would you use for the great stuff, or Dirko, before filling the engine with oil and operating it? Give 25 degree lows and 45 degree highs.

We are trying to figure out the logistics of doing the oil pan and letting it cure at the GTG.

Dan

paramedick

TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Bruce,
What cure time would you use for the great stuff, or Dirko, before filling the engine with oil and operating it? Give 25 degree lows and 45 degree highs.

We are trying to figure out the logistics of doing the oil pan and letting it cure at the GTG.

Dan
The dirko seals just fine after 2 hours. We'll just push it out after the pan is on..

Cha2ga

Veteran Member
TDI
'11 JSW
If you don't mind I'd like to chime in about the sealant cure time.
I work in materials engineering R&D for a MAJOR power transmission manufacturer. I regularly test sealants.
I just looked up the product data sheet for DIRKO and it appears it is a vulcanizing sealant. Based on our testing, these will continue to seal and cure, provided the correct bead size is used, even when completely submerged in oil. This has been tested with synthetics, and non synthetics, at sub ambient, ambient, and elevated temps. With this data from our lab, we were able to implement this into our 26 manufacturing facilities. We build gearboxes, seal, and pour in inline manufacturing.
My opinion is if you wait 2 hours you have exceeded necessary precautions.
Disclaimer: I have not tested this particular sealant/lubricant combination (but have carefully looked at the product data sheet).
Hope this helps.

rawmnivore

TDI
2000 Golf TDI 4DR
The dirko seals just fine after 2 hours. We'll just push it out after the pan is on..
Wow! I wouldn't have thought it would cure anywhere near that fast in such low temps. But if you have experience doing it I'll gladly take the good news and run with it. Thanks for the heads up!

rawmnivore

TDI
2000 Golf TDI 4DR
If you don't mind I'd like to chime in about the sealant cure time.
I work in materials engineering R&D for a MAJOR power transmission manufacturer. I regularly test sealants.
I just looked up the product data sheet for DIRKO and it appears it is a vulcanizing sealant. Based on our testing, these will continue to seal and cure, provided the correct bead size is used, even when completely submerged in oil. This has been tested with synthetics, and non synthetics, at sub ambient, ambient, and elevated temps. With this data from our lab, we were able to implement this into our 26 manufacturing facilities. We build gearboxes, seal, and pour in inline manufacturing.
My opinion is if you wait 2 hours you have exceeded necessary precautions.
Disclaimer: I have not tested this particular sealant/lubricant combination (but have carefully looked at the product data sheet).
Hope this helps.
I'm starting to get a really warm and fuzzy feeling about this project. Glad you are so familiar with the topic. Thanks!

Cha2ga

Veteran Member
TDI
'11 JSW
The cure mechanism is more closely related to humidity than temperate; hence the reason they will completely cure when submerged.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Due to circumstances, I've had to drive my Vanagon in the "salt" for the last several days (seems the salt belt has moved south lately).

Anyway, outside in 19f temp, I rinsed it down by connecting a garden hose at the bottom of my hot water tank. The temp outside is now at 16f and dropping.........nice glaze of ice all over it.

Dan, 50f will be welcomed on Saturday!

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T

I don't believe Optima makes a TDI-rated battery in terms of Ah and CCAs. Also, you can get a correct battery at Walmart, EverStart Maxx-H7, for about $140. Hope that helps.

BuickGS/BuickTurboT

TDI
'01 TDI 5 Spd., Black w/Leather (sold), all options, '01 Red TDI Golf, Audi TT wheels, 1996 Passat TDI
Battery

I may have a "decent" Group 94 battery. I can check tonight. I don't know if there is something you can throw in there to make the trip or if a used battery would even interest you. But if it tides you over financially for a while, then it might help. I too have tried and had bad luck with an Optima battery....no more for me. Costco has the best prices on batteries...I'm currently running Evermaxx from Wally World in the Jetta. I've got one in my bike too and have had great service out of it. The bike sits for months without a battery tender on it and starts right up.

BuickGS/BuickTurboT

TDI
'01 TDI 5 Spd., Black w/Leather (sold), all options, '01 Red TDI Golf, Audi TT wheels, 1996 Passat TDI
Requesting assistance or supervision with injector install

Requesting assistance or supervision with injector install...Andrew has been kind enough to bring me some new injectors to the GTG that he had balanced and setup via expert DBW. He has also graciously offered to loan me his tool to remove the old injectors. He said he could help me but will likely be busy doing tunes. In preparation for this, I've cleaned the engine, blew it dry with compressed air, particularly around the glow plugs (for future ease) and the same around the injectors. Afterwards, spraying those areas with penetrating oil, letting it sit, then blowing off (and out) with compressed air again. hopefully, this will minimize any dirt/grit around those areas. I hope to bring all the tools to do the job (although I can't recall if I have a crows foot as big as 17MM). I have not done the job before, if someone could assist or supervise, it would be much appreciated. If there is a charge, please let me know so I can plan accordingly. I will be bringing some "drinks". Since this is a complete injector swap without removing the nozzles, I'm thinking with the experts around, it should be easy. I'm staying with friends Friday evening in Greenville and plan to arrive at Dan's "prior to 8 AM" to let things cool down appropriately. (Dan, if I get there before 8 am, I'll just wait in car, nap or whatever)....but if there is something you need help with, I can help.

Let me know if anyone is available.

I'm also bringing intake gasket/cleaning set, bolts, brake clean, mapp gas torch, etc, everything to do an intake cleaning job on same car IF it can be fit in the schedule. Again, I can do the work, but haven't done this job before. If someone can supervise/assist. This is my first GTG and I like to do and learn as much as I can. I'm considering hosting one in N. Ga. in the Fall.

Thanks, G

ta79pr

Veteran Member
TDI
02 TTQ (BEW)
I am looking forward to this one; hopefully I can get Jeff to update my tune so cruise control works in 6th gear. The weather doesnt look too bad at all.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Getting help with the injector install should not be an issue.

While it is projected to be near 50 F, it is also projected to be windy, with about 20 mph winds. I am down in the woods so the wind will be lower than that, but it will still be drafty and cool.

Please dress appropriately.

We will have a fire barrel set up outside, with one heater in the shop and one in the garage. But it will not be toasty warm anywhere but the house.

paramedick

TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Requesting assistance or supervision with injector install...Andrew has been kind enough to bring me some new injectors to the GTG that he had balanced and setup via expert DBW. He has also graciously offered to loan me his tool to remove the old injectors. He said he could help me but will likely be busy doing tunes. In preparation for this, I've cleaned the engine, blew it dry with compressed air, particularly around the glow plugs (for future ease) and the same around the injectors. Afterwards, spraying those areas with penetrating oil, letting it sit, then blowing off (and out) with compressed air again. hopefully, this will minimize any dirt/grit around those areas. I hope to bring all the tools to do the job (although I can't recall if I have a crows foot as big as 17MM). I have not done the job before, if someone could assist or supervise, it would be much appreciated. If there is a charge, please let me know so I can plan accordingly. I will be bringing some "drinks". Since this is a complete injector swap without removing the nozzles, I'm thinking with the experts around, it should be easy. I'm staying with friends Friday evening in Greenville and plan to arrive at Dan's "prior to 8 AM" to let things cool down appropriately. (Dan, if I get there before 8 am, I'll just wait in car, nap or whatever)....but if there is something you need help with, I can help.

Let me know if anyone is available.

I'm also bringing intake gasket/cleaning set, bolts, brake clean, mapp gas torch, etc, everything to do an intake cleaning job on same car IF it can be fit in the schedule. Again, I can do the work, but haven't done this job before. If someone can supervise/assist. This is my first GTG and I like to do and learn as much as I can. I'm considering hosting one in N. Ga. in the Fall.

Thanks, G
I have all the tools in my big toolbox that travels. Happy to help.

Please grab a small bottle of powerservice of either color so I can clean the injector bores in the head. Get new interinjector lines from Andrew at the GTG, 'cause we'll probably trash yours.

paramedick

TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Loading the car. Out of here by 1000 tomorrow. In the garage right now acclimating myself to Saturday's weather. 48 degrees WITH the heater. Brrrrr.

E mail me with needs. I've packed all the stuff I promised in this thread.

Bruce

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Does anyone have one of those Propane Jet-type heaters? I can bring a tank of propane.... may try to round up a heater!

gotsoot

Veteran Member
TDI
`04 passat tdi
how long will it take to put some new headlights in a `05 Passat.I think Terry has some experience in this area.thax

Houpty GT

Veteran Member
TDI
Corrado TDI, 2000 Golf, 1996 B4 Variant
I am looking forward to this one; hopefully I can get Jeff to update my tune so cruise control works in 6th gear. The weather doesnt look too bad at all.
Are we going to see the TT? The return of the engine that lived in Dan's garage? It will be the 3rd TT TDI I have seen!

ta79pr

Veteran Member
TDI
02 TTQ (BEW)
Dan's garage BEW is alive and well in the TT - I still have quite a few finishing touches to address, but dont we all. I have put about 6k on it.

jsrmonster

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
Sprinter is warming up, leaving soon. 4 deg F here. It should be a heat wave in Chapin at 25 deg.
See you tomorrow.
Jeff ;-))

vw_nut

Veteran Member
TDI
, 1981 VW pickup TDI Conversion, , 2000 Golf TDI,1985 Cabriolet 16V,2006 jetta
Hey Dan
4° here and I have a frozen waterline bursted I'm gonna try and get it fixed and then leave I'll just have to see will let you know later

Stromaluski

Veteran Member
TDI
'67 Deluxe Bus, '80 Rabbit Truck, '92 Corrado, '10 Cup Edition
As long as it's warmer tomorrow than it is today... Currently 12 degrees here in Greenville.