GTG. Bend. June 13th

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Discuss?

Edit: June 13th. Light work, maybe we can play with VAG COM. Maybe we can have wheelchair races. I want to cook a bunch of meat on a grill. If anyone wants to be here at 8:00 with a Treager, we could do ribs again.

OK, I want to make a list of what folks would like to work on. I know of a trailer hitch that wants to be installed and since she is family she gets first dibs. So post up anything you are looking to get done and I'll list it here.

EDIT: The address for the GTG is 63032 Lower Meadow Dr. Bend Or. 97701.

Last edited by a moderator:

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
I am thinking about another GTG in the shop here in Bend. Oldpoopster said April won't work for him and I really would like to have him swing by. I also need to badger Rich to see if he wants to come by.

Last year the ribs went really well so I am thinking of that again plus burgers and - hopefully some lamb kabobs. (Hint,hint)

I may break down buy myself a Treager or a Big Green Egg to do the ribs and a regular grill for the other stuff.

Two big bays. One with a lift. I think we could work on six cars inside at one time.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
FYI May is tough too, I'll likely be away for work from the 8th to 18th.

Bczuk

Veteran Member
TDI
LWB Samurai - 2001 Jetta
I'd love to make the trip. Been curious about the mileage I could get in the Jetta going down the I5 but could also be a great first road trip for the Samurai

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
So it looks like the choices are May 2nd, May 23 or May 30. May 2 is a week after the SF GTG. May 23 is Memorial day weekend which wouldn't be a ho. So how about May 30 unless we want to kick off the summer with a GTG on Memorial day weekend.

Edit: Changed the dates to reflect May instead of March.

I am also throwing into the mix June 6. We can have a D-Day celebration as well. I am trying to get Poopie down here but he is wanting to come just in an advisory capacity. In other words he just wants to point and give advice. This would be a light work GTG. Oil changes, hitch installs, brakes. Nothing major like timing belts or clutches.

Last edited by a moderator:

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
OK, unless there are major problems, I am thinking June 13th. Any later and it will start to interfere with the PDX GTG. I wouldn't want them too close together.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
June 13th it is. Make plans. I don't know if I will have the Treager this year but maybe I'll see what Craig has to offer. One lift, two big bays, light work, Oldpoopie is available to hang out but he said he is wearing his good pants so don't expect him to turn any wrenches. Having VAG Tacho here would be helpful. (Hint, hint)

brnsgrbr

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GOLF GTI converted to GTD
I've been wanting to go to Bend Oregon for a very long time to check out the breweries so throwing a get together in the mix just sweetens the whole idea.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
Crater is where I fully seated my rings in, several triple digit blasts up that long 4% strait stretch.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, I haven't kept up on this, but I have some exciting news: We will be getting an A/C machine today. This means that if anyone needs their A/C filled, serviced or whatever, I will have the machine to do this. At this GTG, I will need to charge for any refrigerant/oil used. Yes, I will still be learning on this thing, so be patient and we will get there.

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
What's the timeline for the day look like? There's a vintage bike swap in Spokane I'd like to check out, it happens in the morning though. ~7 hours from Spokane to Bend is do-able and would make for a fun weekend...

TDI
Golf estate
I am in Portland and it is possible that I could to make it over to Bend. I may not have a VW TDI though, as I am considering selling my JSW. But, I can keep it diesel with my 335d. Though, you guys probably don't have any interest in having a BMW around.....

TDI
Golf estate
Glad to hear! I've been out of the VW loop for a bit, but I learned so much here initially that diesel technology became somewhat of an obsession. I get disappointed when I talk to TDI owners on the street about their car, only to find out that they aren't actually enthusiasts. So, it would be pretty cool to meet up with some folks who are passionate about diesels.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
Passionate about diesels is right. In my mind diesel comes before VW. Bring what ya got.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
It'll be great to see you Jory. Now if we can get some Lamb Kabobs to find their way down here...

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
I am working on how to smoke ribs on the gas grill that I'll be buying soon. I have a plan right now so I'll work on it. But I think that we will need more grill space.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
I'll be there by 7:00AM and probably won't get out of there until sometime after 8:00. And there's always Sunday morning too.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
Hopefully we can do a line of TDIs driving up Pilot Butte this time. Incredible views of mountains to desert. It would be great to have someone go up first and set up a video camera as everyone gets to the top.

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
I can bring my portable gas grill if that helps, though I won't be rolling in till probably 5ish.

Any recommendations for a good cheap place to stay around there?

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Yesssssssssss... I'm definitely in. Got my "approval"... :)

Gonna do an awesome loop - Vancouver to Spokane, Spokane to Bend, Bend to Portland, Portland back to Vancouver. :)