GTD in 2015?

mk4TDI1

TDI
2001 golf TDI

tdireader

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI
Maybe some day VWNA will figure out that launching a 2 year old platform against brand new models from other manufacturers isn't the best way to build market.

This is only going to get worse w/ more tech making it into the cabin. Selling radios with 7-10 year old tech isn't going to cut it.

Compare the cabin of a Nissan/Hyundai to a VW. Keeping color MFI above the passat trim is stupid. It makes the car look cheap for a part that probably costs $10 more to produce.

KonaJack

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 VW Golf
The 26,000 PSI HPFP scares me. The 23,000 PSI version has been very problematic on poor quality U.S. Fuel as we all know. How will this one handle it?

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Tesla Model S85, 2017 Chevy Bolt
From a cost perspective the EA288's integration of CAT and DPF into a single unit will be an expensive replacement proposition.

I can find no data suggesting the life expectancy of this new configuration and there is no way to know at this point. Presumably they have addressed some of the premature DPF clogging failure issues related to frequent stop and go driving for us city dwellers.

http://www.dieselnet.com/news/2013/08vw.php

michaelquerty

TDI
2009 Jetta
I have noticed that premium fuel is slightly cheaper than Diesel in Louisiana, but I wonder if the GTD would qualify for the same alternative fuel or green rebate( whatever it's called) as my Jetta TDI did? This would help offset the price a bit.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
MKVI cars have similar, but not identical suspension. Struts, shocks, and spring rates are slightly different. Don't recall if sway bars a different size or not.

T-Roy

Veteran Member
TDI
'92 ECOdiesel AHU
I got some pictures of the GTD on the showroom floor at the "Autostadt" in Wolfsburg, Germany when I went a few months ago... impressive, but looks like it would be a very expensive car if they brought it over.
43,631 Euro = $60,014 USD

Last edited:

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
T-Roy, European prices can't be directly translated into US prices. They have taxes we don't, and they have features and options we don't. Something that sells for 43,000 Euros might be $28,000 in the US.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Interior finishes don't look stellar.
The only visible items that I would consider as an upgrade over my current Golf are the leather seats, but these look more worn that those in my 03 Passat. Not saying that it wouldn't be a fun car to have but I can't see paying a premium for the power that I would rarely need.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
I'd love to believe it, but 1) I don't trust Men's Journal to really have researched it well, especially since 2) they quote an Edmunds article saying that VW is 'on the fence' about it, not that it IS coming in 2015.

I really don't care about the GTI suspension and larger wheels. I just want the man-cave-like black pillars and headliner. :cool: And the extra oomph I'd take, too.

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
I wonder what kind of power we can get out of that motor with just a tune? I wonder how much fuel those injectors will flow and how much tq and hp they can support? Does it have a larger turbo than the reg tdi? These are all questions that I would like to know. If its the same turbo then I'm gonna consider getting a reg tdi and slapping new springs and swaybars onto it. I really want 250hp and 400tq and get 45 mpg on the freeway at cruising speeds.

tdireader

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI
I got some pictures of the GTD on the showroom floor at the "Autostadt" in Wolfsburg, Germany when I went a few months ago... impressive, but looks like it would be a very expensive car if they brought it over.
43,631 Euro = $60,014 USD

Looking at the extras and configuring a car on the German site, this definitely not a car they would send over here.
Things to delete:

• Discover Pro and advance MFD (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYC3BfOdqVQ)
  • Adaptive cruise control
  • Lane Assist
  • Park Assist option
  • Parking sensors, front and rear
  • Bi-xenon headlights with LED Daytime Running Lights
  • Adaptive chassis control
  • Voice activation for audio
  • high beam assist
  • Sport and sound pack
Ford or Hyundai would offer these options in North America before VW.

The TReg and CC don't even have most of these options.

I don't think many people in Germany actually pay the €43k. From what I'm told there is ALOT more negotiating room than in the US. Think about some of the discounts on domestics here.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Many of these things are starting to become mainstream. I agree that VW seems to be more of a follower though.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I think it's been posted here before but bears repeating. You cannot translate European pricing directly to US pricing. Taxes make cars significantly more expensive in most of Europe.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
And the list price includes the taxes.

Basically everything in Europe, you can knock 19% off right off the bat for just the VAT (sales tax equivalent), and that doesn't include any of the car taxes.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
I didn't know where to post this, this looked as good as any string.....

Here is a little background on the Seat Leon, a car based on the A7(MK7 body) Golf and new A3 Audi.....

autoexpressUK said:
The SEAT Leon won Car of the Year at the 2013 Auto Express awards. It was the combination of great looks, a practical interior, low running costs and fun that made the 2013 SEAT Leon an award winner, as well as its unmatched ability to leave rivals the BMW 1 Series, Skoda Octavia and VW Golf in the shade.

The third-generation SEAT Leon is shorter, wider, lower and has a longer wheelbase than the outgoing model. It's the third car to be built on the Volkswagen Groups advanced, lightweight MQB platform that underpins the Mk7 Golf and new Audi A3 but will eventually form the basis for almost 30 cars, ranging from the all-new Polo to the next-generation Passat. It's by far the best-looking car of the trio, too, and it even undercuts its VW brother by around 10 per cent across the range.

The new SEAT Leon also gets new petrol and diesel engines, a lower kerbweight than before and, although it is smaller than the car it replaces, it still offers more interior space and a bigger boot, too. It's more comfortable, thanks to a much more supple ride, while quality has also been improved, with much better materials used for the interior and extremely precise bodypanel gaps.

SEAT offers two suspension set-ups on the Leon. Cars with more than 178bhp come with multi-link rear suspension, while lesser models like the 1.6 TDI make do with a basic torsion beam set-up. However, you're unlikely to notice the difference during everyday driving.

The Leon has an entertaining drive, and while the stability control can't be turned off completely, it's clear that this car handles well. Thanks to its clever XDS electronic differential, turn-in is sharp, and the rear end simply wants to follow, with no trace of understeer. Lift off the throttle mid-way through a corner, and you can feel the rear end begin to lose grip, although the aggressive ESP system reins in any instability.

There are three petrol and two diesel engines to choose from, with highlights including a 104bhp 1.6-litre diesel Leon Ecomotive that is expected to be the biggest seller, plus the smooth and punchy 104bhp 1.2-litre TSI petrol. The top-spec 181bhp 2.0 TDI FR is a fantastic driver's car, with a punchy diesel engine that's matched with great brakes, precise steering and impressive traction that helps it complete the 0-62mph sprint in just 7.5 seconds.

A faster SEAT Leon Cupra, due in 2014, will be powered by a 2.0-litre TSI engine with as much as 261bhp.

There are further changes in the pipline for the Leon line-up. SEAT has been evaluating the viability of a 300hp four-wheel driver Leon Cupra R version that could drop the 0-60 time to around five seconds. The Cupra R would become the fastest car in the range. Then the new Leon ST estate, set to be debuted at the 2013 Frankfurt Motor show ahead of it's realease. The addition of the ST estate will be the first time the Leon is offered in a choice of three body styles.​

The 1.6 TDI Ecomotive returns average fuel consumption of 74.3 mpg and emits just 99g/km of CO2, which makes it very cheap to run. The entry-level 1.2 TSI engine manages 57.6mpg and emits 114/gm, while the 1.4 TSI can do 54.3mpg and 119g/km. But even the top-spec FR TDI diesel still returns more than 65mpg and emits 112g/km, despite being capable of a going from 0-62mph in 7.5 seconds.

Piston Heads- SEAT LEON CUPRA AND CUPRA 280

PistonHeads said:
SEAT LEON CUPRA AND CUPRA 280 - OFFICIAL

The SEAT Leon Cupra is back! This is good news for those of us with fond memories of hot Leons of old, the combination of VW underpinnings, a little more flair and a little less money always appealing. Having already given us extensive insight into the new Leon Cupra in an earlier preview SEAT has now revealed more details and official pics of the car, which you can see here.

We already knew the new Leon Cupra would be available in three-door SC and regular five-door formats and with a choice of two power outputs. Base cars will have 265hp, the hotter version 280hp rather than the 285hp initially reported. And we also knew all Cupras would have three-way adjustable DCC dampers as standard while the Performance Pack discussed initially instead manifests itself as a package of features to distinguish Cupra 280 models from the standard version. These include grey finished 19-inch wheels, black mirror caps, an 'Aerodynamic Pack' (ie, a spoiler), branded brake calipers and gloss black trim elements in the cabin.

There were also hints of a very, very impressive 'ring lap time that will prick up the ears of current hot hatch record holders Renault and future wannabes Honda, which has publically stated that honour as a development target of the forthcoming Civic Type R.

So what else has been revealed? Well, we've got pricing for starters. The range starts at £25,690 for the three-door SC Cupra, the 280hp version of the same costing £26,940. The five-door is only available in Cupra 280 form and costs £27,240. DSG is available on the 280hp versions only and adds £1,285 to the price. As mentioned, all Cupras get three-way adjustable dampers (badged DCC), the VAQ Haldex-based active locking differential, a 'progressive steering system', LED headlights, DAB and the SEAT Media System Plus. That diff alone is a significant feature, our earlier story before its introduction on the Golf suggesting that it's worth 8.5 seconds on a 'ring lap while our experience on the road suggests it imparts a significant on- and beyond the limit balance to the GTI that VW customers have to opt in - and pay extra - to enjoy.

Bringing us neatly to bang for buck. A three-door Golf GTI manual starts at £26,125 so is £435 more than the Cupra SC from the off. It's also 40hp down, though torque on all GTIs and Cupra models is the same 258lb ft suggesting horsepower figures are, to a degree, malleable to suit marketing needs. Regardless, to match the Cupra's standard DCC would add £815 to the Golf and for the diff a further £995. Having spent £27,935 your Golf would be 10hp closer to the Cupra (GTI Performance with the diff adding a bit more power) but still half a second slower to 62mph than the SEAT's 5.9.

So, it's significantly faster and cheaper than a Golf GTI and includes much of what you'd pay extra for on that car as standard. As such it pitches the Cupra - and SEAT - back to where it should always have been in the eyes of folk like us, namely as the sportier, more focused member of the VW family. That keen pricing even looks troublesome to the car it matches most closely in spirit, the recently facelifted Megane 265. Starting at £25,990, you'd need to add the £1,350 Cup chassis and diff pack to the Megane to put it on equal terms with the base Cupra SC and the SEAT would still be £1,650 cheaper with the diff, the adaptive dampers and all the rest of the standard kit. Even the Cupra SC 280 enjoys a £400 price advantage over the Megane, plus the option of DSG if that's your cup of tea.

We know the Megane is exceptional. But with a price advantage like that the Cupra is already off to a flying start. Official confirmation of stealing Renault's 'ring lap record would be rubbing salt on the wound.
Orders are open now, with first deliveries at the end of March.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
yea! Another car we can't get. Although the lines make it look more like a Kia than a VW product.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
yea! Another car we can't get. Although the lines make it look more like a Kia than a VW product.
Well, Kia's designer used to be VW and Audi's chief designer, and SEAT is meant to be the budget Audi. So...

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI