GTD conversion underway

fullofdays

TDI
GSW
Made a dent in my GTDwagen conversion this week. I went with eds R hid headlights with GTD bumper. The LED's in the bumper are not functioning. Previously the halogen fogs would activate when cornering but now I don't get anything unless I pull the light switch for fogs in the cabin and a small halogen bulb is triggered at the bottom of the fixture. Is this a coding issue? I'm going from a tdi bumper to gtd bumper and everything is plugged in per usual. Anyone know what the cause could be?

http://imgur.com/a/f8Hxb

<iframe class='imgur-album' width='100%' height='550' frameborder='0' src='http://imgur.com/a/f8Hxb/embed'></iframe>

Last edited:

Geist296

TDI
2015 GSW SEL DSG White with Quartz/Black interior
I will be doing this soon. Not changing the headlights seeing as my car is a SEL have the headlights I like. How hard is the swap to do. Seems easy until you see all the parts for it. I need to get mine painted and then will be good to go. Here is what mine should look like once painted and installed

[/URL][/IMG]

fullofdays

TDI
GSW
Wondering if I'll need VAG-COM to code the fogs and led DRL's in the bumper behind the gills? Does anyone know if a euro switch will fix the led parking light outage in the bumper? I also want to code the fogs to run on auto.

The bumper is a GTI rep from advan emotion. They are selling bumpers and skirts on eBay. Good quality apart from the fog issue. I am hoping it's a coding issue.

Last edited:

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
What are you referring to with regards to the LED parking lights? The LED fogs as cornering lights or the U shape DRL? Any type of coding you will need VCDS. I am not familiar with how that will work with Ed's headlights though, I am sure you could get an answer on Vortex. I see lots of people installing these lights.

Euroswitch is plug and play and will allow you to utilize fogs with the parking lights. I also installed a rear fog in place of the dummy bulb that is there and had to jump a wire from the other side of the hatch as well has code for it. The rear fog being the main reason I wanted the euroswotich. I have the factory lightning package up front though.

fullofdays

TDI
GSW
The LED's above the halogen fog bulb in the bumper is what I'm not able to get to function. They are wired into the same harness which plugs in nicely to the car. My TDI is a non lighting package, hence the ed's HID R replica headlight swap. The headlights are working well. What I'm curious about is the LED's in the bumper above the fogs... Would the euro switch solve for this or can it be coded?

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
I am curious if it has to do with your replica lights? Perhaps the lighting control in the car is trying to have the lights perform a function they are not capable of performing?

fullofdays

TDI
GSW
The headlights are working perfectly. It's the fogs that are different. The GTI bumper has led parking lights and a halogen fog wired to the harness for each side of the bumper where the original setup has a single halogen fog on the harness.

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
Not sure if you can code for something in the aftermarket bumper, have you checked out Vortex yet for any help?

fullofdays

TDI
GSW
Not sure if you can code for something in the aftermarket bumper, have you checked out Vortex yet for any help?
Nobody on vortex has put a GTI bumper on a non GTI car yet. Looks like my non GTI car doesn't have this secondary harness for city lights. Can this be bought and added to a non GTI/GTD car? Might just cut the harness and wire it directly to a 12v source.

Last edited:

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron

fullofdays

TDI
GSW
Got The ugly halogen h3 fogs replaced with an h3 style led from putco. Also waiting on the European switch.

Now I need to find a GTI mk7 owner with vag com to pull codes for the GTI DRL's. Found a great article on MKV forum and I'm now wonering if I'll need a control module from a GTI xenon car to get the city lights in the bumper to work. The harness pictured above for the city lights are plugged into my r HID lights from Ed but the city lights don't trigger. Anyone know the coding for turning on city lights in the bumper with DRL's in the headlight on a MK7??

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66060&highlight=city+light+ftp

Last edited:

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Got The ugly halogen h3 fogs replaced with an h3 style led from putco. Also waiting on the European switch.

Now I need to find a GTI mk7 owner with vag com to pull codes for the GTI DRL's. Found a great article on MKV forum and I'm now wonering if I'll need a control module from a GTI xenon car to get the city lights in the bumper to work. The harness pictured above for the city lights are plugged into my r HID lights from Ed but the city lights don't trigger. Anyone know the coding for turning on city lights in the bumper with DRL's in the headlight on a MK7??

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66060&highlight=city+light+ftp
If you need someone with VCDS, I'm in Charlotte/Concord (assuming the CLT in your signature) every week. There are all sorts of options for lighting in the long coding helper, if you figure out what exactly you need or just want to look around in there shoot me a message.

vdubtc

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI S (Sold), 2017 GTI Sport Pure White
Have you completed this? I have a 2015 TDI Sportwagen that looks identical to yours and I'm considering the swap.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Very cool. I went at the gtd conversion on my mk6 golf from the opposite direction- performance mods first, then cosmetics. Do you have plans for a dual exit exhaust? They really dress up the back of the car.

Geist296

TDI
Sorry guys I totally blanked on this. I still am going to do this. I sourced the parts through Deutsche Auto Parts. I was waiting to see if we would be able to keep the cars before I did then I moved. So now that I know I can keep her, I will be getting the bumper painted and I will install after winter

Updating this 5/4/18: bumper is painted and in my garage will be putting together over the next few days and getting ready to put on. All I need to know is how I have to go about splicing in the factory GTD/GTI LED fogs, and if any coding is needed to make them work correctly.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
It's just a badge and a bumper unless you got more power under the hood!!!!

What power upgrades have you gone with?

Geist296

TDI
It's just a badge and a bumper unless you got more power under the hood!!!!

What power upgrades have you gone with?

I wasn't planning on any power upgrades because this was bought to be my daily, and when I go to work it is 100 miles roundtrip. That being said I am at this point after the extra cash from Phase 2 of the fix going Malone Stg2 and a full Rawtech. Reason I was not going to do tuning is I have a Stg3 Mk6R in the garage as well.

But I ran into a guy last week and he got his Reflex Silver GSW last fall and did the Rawtech downpipe with custom from there back and Malone 2 his mileage is now over 50 consistantly( I hit 50's on long hauls ). And in researching the tuneit puts the HP up were a true GTD is at with more TQ than a GTD so dagumit one car was suppose to stay stock LOL

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
It's a slippery slope!
100 mile commute with a downpipe should surely get you your 50+mpg if you drive reasonably. You can look at all my early fill ups I'm my fuelly link and clearly see where I installed the downpipe.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Nutty 5.0

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI 6MT
Good stuff here. Is there anything wrong with running down pipe to stock muffler out?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Good stuff here. Is there anything wrong with running down pipe to stock muffler out?
Don't think so other than maybe the added weight, but the stock muffler also help with drone.

Are people going with cat and resonators?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I wasn't planning on any power upgrades because this was bought to be my daily, and when I go to work it is 100 miles roundtrip. That being said I am at this point after the extra cash from Phase 2 of the fix going Malone Stg2 and a full Rawtech. Reason I was not going to do tuning is I have a Stg3 Mk6R in the garage as well.
But I ran into a guy last week and he got his Reflex Silver GSW last fall and did the Rawtech downpipe with custom from there back and Malone 2 his mileage is now over 50 consistantly( I hit 50's on long hauls ). And in researching the tuneit puts the HP up were a true GTD is at with more TQ than a GTD so dagumit one car was suppose to stay stock LOL
Car was suposed to be stock yet has GTI bumper and GTD badges ;)

Well with a DP and coding now your talking!!! With that daily mileage that downpipe will pay for itself in a year or two.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
With downpipe and resonator hooked to stock muffler, all you hear is a little turbo whistle. Same setup with no muffler is a bit droney, but sounds great above 2k RPM. Maybe double resonator would help with that for my tastes.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
At least opt for a cat and resonator, don't want to get the reputation of dirty diesels ;)

Geist296

TDI
Car was suposed to be stock yet has GTI bumper and GTD badges ;)

Well with a DP and coding now your talking!!! With that daily mileage that downpipe will pay for itself in a year or two.

The outside has nothing to do with STOCK in my mind. I want my cars to look like mine and not every other one on the road. As for stock did you catch where I said I have a Stg3 Mk6R in the garage as well ;) . I didn't buy the diesel for performance I bought her for mileage

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
I miss my mk5 in the respects of milage and power. Plus if i really wanted to i could roll coal and still hit 50 mpg.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The outside has nothing to do with STOCK in my mind. I want my cars to look like mine and not every other one on the road. As for stock did you catch where I said I have a Stg3 Mk6R in the garage as well ;) . I didn't buy the diesel for performance I bought her for mileage
Ohh I hear ya, everyone has different option of what "stock" is vs OEM+.

To get that great MPG, I think malone offers "eco tunes" where there isn't more power but just removes the DPF/Emissions stuff to really milk the miles.

I would think it'd be tough to pass on adding a little bit more juice to the DD that still is darn cheap to operate compared to driving a high strung guzzler that is a mk6r.

You def have something that no one else does and hopefully turns the heads of VW fans.

Geist296

TDI
Ohh I hear ya, everyone has different option of what "stock" is vs OEM+.
To get that great MPG, I think malone offers "eco tunes" where there isn't more power but just removes the DPF/Emissions stuff to really milk the miles.
I would think it'd be tough to pass on adding a little bit more juice to the DD that still is darn cheap to operate compared to driving a high strung guzzler that is a mk6r.
You def have something that no one else does and hopefully turns the heads of VW fans.

Thank you good Sir. If I were to do the Malone stuff I wouldn't do it without going Stg2, to me not worth the cost if I didn't. As far as the "gasguzzler" you would be surprised at how good the mileage can be. She actually get better mileage than she did stock when cruising normal or on long drives. Well when I can't keep my foot out of the go pedal well that is a different story. LOL