GTC1549VZ Questions!

Ricsi168

TDI
2.5 V6 TDI; 1.9PDTDI AVF
Ahh i checked the actuator on the old turbo like 200x times stop screw rod lenght.......even with vacuum all time i dont get good spoolup something was wrong with that turbo or maybe its really not choice for this engine!
Absolute the gtc fo daily drive is avery good turbo,okay you not gonna make 400hp drag monster with that turbo but its faster than stock 1749va and doesnt cost too much to put on.
One thing i noticed today when i go 5th or 6th gear with WOT the turbo slightly and slowly over boost i got set 1,7bar boost and its creeeps up.
At the moment i dont have time maybe my n75 is going **** or the other thing i can imagine this turbo is for newer engines and 16V cyl head but with this old technic the turbo actuator cant release the geometry far enough to deal with overboost.
When i got over boost the duty cycle goes 90+% so if the n75 is working as it should all vaccumm goes away from the turbo with 90% duty cycle if im good,so i need to lenghten the actuator a bit.BUT the problem comes here this kind of actuator is fix doesnt have a setting ability....:/ so maybe,maybe i need a custom actuator if im right?

Ricsi168

TDI
2.5 V6 TDI; 1.9PDTDI AVF
okay guys maybe i sorted the things out!

as you can see the turbo actuator bracelet screws are marked,and i think the bracelet has a little room to adjust the rod lenght alittle bit!
This actuator is from Darkside, from gtc1449vz i think it has got the adjuster screw may if i cant adjust the whole bracelet i have to get one of those to set with the screw!

arazvan2002

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A4 B6 1.9TDI AVF quattro
How much fuel do you inject and how late? Maybe you are simply overdue long and your EOI is too late. Don't start playing with the actuator from the beginning. During basic settings on turbo, is the actuator opened completely?
Try also to keep it a little more open from the N75 map, if it doesn't keep the boost in lower gears, the PID should correct more or less, but maybe in higher gears it's to late for PID control. I not sure about this, but you can try.

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
To be honest i was kinda expecting boost creep with such a small turbo ! I wonder what stops you from treading the actuator rod to take a stock gt1749v actuator... its a crude attempt to fix a problem...

Ricsi168

TDI
2.5 V6 TDI; 1.9PDTDI AVF
First i have to check the n75 , thanks arazvan for the idea of the program maybe can you me out with that?

Adamss24 what do you mean crude? You mean the holes on the actuator?
Thanks!

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
Nope, i meant cutting a thread on the actuator rod's end to take a gt style rod end like the one in the picture of darkside actuator... you could make the arm longer/shorter to meet the requested boost altough i would live it stock if i were you and just ask less boost up high just as Razvan mentioned...

Ricsi168

TDI
2.5 V6 TDI; 1.9PDTDI AVF
I will check the boost levels, and duty cycle i will make logs and will see thanks guys!

Ricsi168

TDI
2.5 V6 TDI; 1.9PDTDI AVF
Hello guys!!
So today i got a little time i checked the holes on the actuator and it seems it sits the lowest point so i cant make any adjustment on the actuator itself!
After that i unbolted the 3 bolt that holds the actuator in place and i checked if i push down the actuator a little bit if i change the actuator is it possible to set the rod lenght longer but unfortunately it cant go longer because something stops the arm inside the turbo....so i made a log in 3rd gear from ~1800rpm to ~4000rpm to check if i got over boost and check the intake temperatures here is the log!

At the log i took WOT off somwhere in 4100rpm.
What do you guys think about this log?
One thing i noticed the n75 duty cycle doesnt max out when i go with wot..it stays somewhere ~80% as you can see in the logs....
maybe i have to try in 4th gear...
Also downloaded the MAP of the car maybe some1 who knows programming way better than me can help me check the file?
Thanks!!

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
You need a 4 Bar map sensor and raising the diagnostic limits a bit so you can see the spikes. It looks like your turbo is overboosting and i dont think the n75 can deal with it as it goes to 94% duty cycle... Maybe dropping the peaks in the boost/fueling maps might be a better idea- turbo is maxed out as you already found out...
Another solution is to get the darkside actuator and make it longer- you will loose some o the low/midrange response but might not solve boost creep- turbine its too small for a free flowing exhaust...

arazvan2002

Veteran Member
TDI
I think I helped him already (or tried) with the diagnostic limits on ecuconnections.
@Ricsi168 post here your current file or sent it to me to see how it looks like. When you want to see something relevant and running on gears lower than 4, try to log only one channel at a time, like 11, to have a better resolution.
If we look at the n75 at 4000-4400, it's not maximised, it quite ok. You should adjust the request or check the fueling.
In my opinion, when you request over 2600mbar, 4bar sensor is mandatory otherwise you are going blind and sooner or later you will blow the turbo.

Ricsi168

TDI
2.5 V6 TDI; 1.9PDTDI AVF
Hello guys!!

Why need 4 bar map sensor i dont understand because i got set 2700mbar and 3 bar sensor reads 2985mbar.
Of course i can get a 4 bar map sensor.
Adamss24: the darkside actuator wont help, yesterday i took off the actuator but the vnt lever wont go any further so the factory actuator if good maybe i have problem either n75 or with the program.when you se 94% i took off my foot from the pedal.
Arazvan: thank you very much for your help, could you please explain why i need 4 bar sensor?
As soon as i can i will send you the file.
And as soon as the weather allow i will do a log in 3rd gear only ch 11 and 4th gear.
Thanks!!

arazvan2002

Veteran Member
TDI
You need 4bar too see more than 300mbar overboost and be protected by limp mode which now it won't happed, because it's 400mbar over limit, so more than your sensor can read. Linearisarion for the 4bar it's 102 921 500 4000.

Ricsi168

TDI
2.5 V6 TDI; 1.9PDTDI AVF
Hello guys!
So i got time and the weather,allowed me to make a remap and do a log.
This time i would like to thank you Arazvan for helping me with my program.
In this log i was in 3rd gear and from about 1722rpm to 4788rpm was 100% thorttle after 4788rpm i was 0% thorttle.
What do you guys think about this?
My opinion about this at lower rpms ~1700-1900 the spec boost and actual boost deviation is high but i think its because the turbo spools up,at 2737rpm its a slight backfall of the boost maybe pid overreact?, at 4494rpm i got the highest deviation actual vs spec i got 300mbar overboost but my duty cycle was 70% so what can cause this? and after this 4137rpm overboost it seems like its too slowly correcting the duty cycle because i got overboost from 4137 to 4788rpm but my duty cycle goes only 84%...
Thanks !
Here is the log file you can download and check!
http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=00119092267617363267

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
Read about boost creep...either you ask for less boost and taper off fueling over the whole range or change the turbine...as mentioned above, your whole drivetrain will thank you for it !

Ricsi168

TDI
2.5 V6 TDI; 1.9PDTDI AVF
Hello!!

Thank oyu very much!Ihave got an other newest program thanks to Arazvan and its going well, need some fine adjustments also replaced n75,and fixxed a little intake pipe boost leak.
I still have to make logs with the newest software, as soon as i got it i will upload and you can have a look at it!

THANKS!

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
What Exhaust Gas Temperature sensor are you using? Is it aftermarket? If it is, do you know the thread size for the bung I think it's M14x1.5 but I want to be sure.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
What Exhaust Gas Temperature sensor are you using? Is it aftermarket? If it is, do you know the thread size for the bung I think it's M14x1.5 but I want to be sure.
In the US most EGT fittings will use 1/8" NPT.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
Looks like!e ill be getting a m14 to 1/8 not adapter then. Thank you!

brady rogers

Veteran Member
TDI
03 jetta 5sp TDI, 2010 bmw x5d, 81 1z MTDi Caddy, 97 jetta tdi
I ran this turbo on my jetta 1.9 alh motor and totally loved it. It would boost vetter than the vnt15 at low rpms and it had great power on the top end. I ran it until i threw a rod through the block. From too much boost. Ill have to try and post up some pictures for you all.
Yes you will need to make an adapter plate. I made a 1z manifold work with a simple plate with 6 holes in it. Held up perfectly for 10k miles until my rod launched.

Ricsi168

TDI
2.5 V6 TDI; 1.9PDTDI AVF
Sorry about the delay, i used m14x1,5mm bolt and ordered an egt meter then fitted to m14 bolt.
At the moment im running with 1,7 bar boost everything is good.