Gtc1549vz info needed

1towman

TDI
2001 Jetta tdi w/5 speed
I was reading up on this turbo because I had heard that it had no lag and really spooled up fast. Most of the applications I see are with this turbo mounted on a 1.6 and I have a 1.9 ALH. Has anybody installed this on a 1.9 and if so what are your thoughts? Supposedly it will be a reliable set up but Ive also heard that it's hard on your clutch and I don't understand why that is. Is the size of the shaft something that I should worry about? If this is such a cracker jack turbo why aren't more 1.9 owners installing them? If any of the fears I've mentioned are deal breakers what other lag free turbo's should I check out? Thanks for any advice and tips .

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
It’s not plug and play so it requires fabrication and it’s very hard on clutch and flywheel as you well found out, too much torque too early will break things. Also I wouldn’t choose it just for the sake of it, the limiting physical size of the turbine/hotside makes for high egt up when driven aggressively! I would really go for a slightly larger turbo with better/bigger flowing A/R which will put less egt and move the torque plot to the right of the graph and save you from hammering your driveline! If you want instant torque buy a damn electric car !

1towman

TDI
2001 Jetta tdi w/5 speed
It’s not plug and play so it requires fabrication and it’s very hard on clutch and flywheel as you well found out, too much torque too early will break things. Also I wouldn’t choose it just for the sake of it, the limiting physical size of the turbine/hotside makes for high egt up when driven aggressively! I would really go for a slightly larger turbo with better/bigger flowing A/R which will put less egt and move the torque plot to the right of the graph and save you from hammering your driveline! If you want instant torque buy a damn electric car !
Hey Adam thanx for the comeback. Can you explain how having my torque down low would be a bad thing? I don't drop the clutch and floor it when I drive so I don't think I would be dealing with a broken clutch. I imagine I drive like a rather old man seeing how I'm 65 and if I could afford one of those damn electric cars I would but for now I would just like the best bang for the buck.