Big thanks to A5INKY for install on my BRM upgrades. Here is my build:

Dark side GTB1749vc turbo
PD150 injectors
Malone tune
Egr cooler delete
Frank cam stage 2
Cat gutted
Boost/egt combo gauge with vent pod

Let me first say Dax is very precise with his work and I would highly recommend his work to anyone and its worth th drive no matter your distance from him. Mark Malone has been spot on with his tunes so far and I think he is the best at what he does.

The turbo was installed about 3-4 weeks ago and I was happy with the upgrade overall, but not blown away by no means. After the injectors it has really come to life. The tune Mark sent was really good the very first time and he has dialed back the smoke a bit to fit my taste. Car really pulls hard and I think its a great setup for the BRM and keeping a totally stock type feel inside the car regarding feel and noise/vibration. Very smooth to drive and maybe even smoother than the stock setup.
My wife said she thought it shifted smoother and liked driving better after the upgrades. I really think this setup is the last and most sensible jumping off point before going off the deep end with a big build on a BRM. In regards to cost this is a very good compromise.

newlitemotorist

Veteran Member
TDI
06' Jetta TDI dsg, 445,000 miles and counting!
What kind of numbers would you guess you are putting down? Your setup is very similar to what I have planned...and I do not want to go off the deep end.

I own a passat with pd130 injectors stock (?some conflicting info here?) so I don't think I have to worry about an injector upgrade for what I wish to do. My goal is about 200 whp which should be in the ball park of 230 bhp, the listed safe power level of the pd130/150 injectors. Everything else I wish to do, you have done...same tune, same turbo, ect. My guess is you are about where i want to be but I am curious about your thoughts.

Thanks

newlitemotorist

Veteran Member
TDI
I am guessing 175-180whp conservatively.
My thoughts exactly! This would make for a fun reliable car for anyone. Are you still on the stock ic piping and intercooler? I plan to stick with stock for now but I have been looking into the water/air ic's since they are so compact and efficient...would like to fit one right were the stock-er lives with possible upgraded piping to go along.

chiro05

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Yes ic piping and intercooler are stock. It is very fun to drive.

Barnitz

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Just to be clear, when going to the GTB1749vc you have to go with a custom intake, correct?

I believe this is the 'path' that most BRM owners would want. As you said, the cost isn't too terrible, and the outcome is really nice. As the money comes, I will be on my way to the same set up. (Or possibly a pd140 turbo).

chiro05

Veteran Member
TDI
none
No custom intake. That turbo is direct bolt on and very minor tweaks to make it work. Mainly the oil supply line has to be replaced.

newlitemotorist

Veteran Member
TDI
They aren't as bad as a passat! :(....that is until you take care of all of the "issues" (insert 4-6 grand here) and then the passat is dead reliable...lol

Sootman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
I am guessing 175-180whp conservatively.
These are the numbers I'm seeing with the PD 140 turbo. I do smoke more than I like but I've learned to live with it. I'm at about 55K with this setup so I'd say reliable. The 1749VC is a nice turbo. It that from the 170 HP PD? I forget. Nice work.

chiro05

Veteran Member
TDI
none
That's a million dollar question that I don't have an answer to. It does smoke a bit more then I like, but Mark isn't finished tuning it.

chiro05

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I can say after some revisions I still smoke, but this setup is flat out ridiculously fun. Mark Malone has the tune really figured out.
I am under the impression that unless you are prepared to have a dyno and expensive equipment to tune with smoke is something you will have with more power.

For anyone wanting a daily driver that will put a huge grin on your face this setup tuned by Malone is the way to go.
Very good balance of power vs cost!

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
These are the numbers I'm seeing with the PD 140 turbo. I do smoke more than I like but I've learned to live with it. I'm at about 55K with this setup so I'd say reliable. The 1749VC is a nice turbo. It that from the 170 HP PD? I forget. Nice work.

The PD140 turbo though is just the GT1749VA as found on the PD130's but with different fitment? So you're looking at about 22psi max or so? Which probably means it can't provide enough boost to clear up the smoke at that power?

That's what I was told over and over again anyway.

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
I really do doubt the GT1646 gives those numbers, at least on a realistic dyno, flat out we see 165hp max on those (PD140 Turbo)

The upgrade we do (GTB1749) will do 200hp (flywheel figures like the factory)

Alcaid

Veteran Member
TDI
See signature
I really do doubt the GT1646 gives those numbers, at least on a realistic dyno, flat out we see 165hp max on those (PD140 Turbo)

You also get the PD140 with the GT1749VA turbo

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
these guys are talking about the BMM turbo, those never had VA's

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI

So what's the crack with the GTB? Why can it produce so much more? Bigger wheels? Better design in general?

newlitemotorist

Veteran Member
TDI
its a third generation vnt...more efficient! They also spool faster than similar sized non-gtb turbos. Beyond that I don't know specifically but a better design, yes.

chiro05

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I was concerned about how fast this thing would spool, but it's just as quick as my stock one felt. I am pulling hard by 2200rpm if not by 2000rpm.

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
So what's the crack with the GTB? Why can it produce so much more? Bigger wheels? Better design in general?
Compared to what? The Cupra turbo has almost the same wheel dims but Gen1 VNT and its capable of almost the same power

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Compared to what? The Cupra turbo has almost the same wheel dims but Gen1 VNT and its capable of almost the same power

Compared to my mums whisk? :p

Nah like say the GT1749VB for instance, what is it about the VC that's different that makes it such a good turbo?

Better vnt?

Better housing?

Better bearings?

chiro05

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Installing a boostvalve.com kit to control spikes. We are trying to get the most torque we can at low rpm and not damage the turbo in the long run due to high boost spikes and boost creep.

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Would be better to sort the tuning!!! i hate boostvalves

chiro05

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Why do you hate boost valves? How do you suggest I get it done with tuning? Mark has sent multiple revisions to the tune.

Last edited:

Alcaid

Veteran Member
TDI
See signature
A boost valve is just a band-aid fix to a problem in the tune or a stop screw / actuator length problem. Fix the real problem instead

chiro05

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I am confident that Mark knows what he is doing and he recommended the boost valve not as a band aid, but to help us achieve our goal of quick boost and max torque at low rpm.

Last edited: