GTB1749vc and PD150s combo installed BRM

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
Post a log and we can see, the stop screw will be perfect so that does not need to be touched. Actuator length usually depends on the tune and fuelling.

chiro05

Veteran Member
TDI
none
stop screw and actuator length are good. Boost valve is being used to allow max torque and quick boost at very low rpm. Not to cover up for some other problem.

Alcaid

Veteran Member
TDI
See signature
If you need a boost valve and hardware is set up correctly there is something wrong in the tune no matter what you want to believe ;)

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
If you need a boost valve and hardware is set up correctly there is something wrong in the tune no matter what you want to believe ;)
Or to do something that shouldn't be done, like force the turbo to spool up faster than it should, then the bv helps to suppress the spike which is a byproduct

A5INKY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
Or to do something that shouldn't be done, like force the turbo to spool up faster than it should, then the bv helps to suppress the spike which is a byproduct
Bingo.

This is a case of a tuner being very responsive to his customer. This car was tuned to not need a boost valve at all but Chiro wanted a harder "rear ended by a dump truck" torque peak. Malone simply complied with his request and made the BV recommendation because it can physically react faster than the ECU controlled N75 system.

A5INKY

TDI
I am afraid that explanation will fall on deaf ears!
That's OK. So long as you're happy with the outcome, who cares what anyone else thinks! IMO You really played this build-up right. I've said it before but it bears saying again: your car is poster child for maximum bang-for-the-buck in a BRM build.

This combo is a bit like the BRM equivalent to the 17/22 / big nozzle and tune combo for the ALHs of old; quick easy HP w/o going off the deep end.

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
if you tune on a dyno, boost earlier does not actually mean more power or torque at lower RPM. If the engine cant breath then it wont make power!

I find it hard to believe that the N75 cant react quick enough if tuning is perfect!

chiro05

Veteran Member
TDI
none
So do you think Malone can't tune it? Sounds like one vender banging on another! As a customer I have complete confidence in my installer and tuner to take care of my car! If you want to fly over and tune it I wouldn't need that boost valve! ;).

Sootman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
So do you think Malone can't tune it? Sounds like one vender banging on another! As a customer I have complete confidence in my installer and tuner to take care of my car! If you want to fly over and tune it I wouldn't need that boost valve! ;).
We all have complete confidence in our tuners. Sometimes things just don't work well together. For not big $$ you could buy an ECU and try another tuner. Just a suggestion; although I have complete confidence in my tuner too.:D

chiro05

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Sootman, do you smoke a lot with your setup? Ihad RC tune on my 2000 and really liked it. I have been told the only way to really tune one correctly is tune on a dyno?

2bitthugs

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
I think you could play with the rod length a little. I don't think its as easy as just loading tunes and hoping everything works together. Have to make minor tweaks here and there.

A5INKY

TDI
Probably need to play with the vnt rod length and stop screw.
I think you could play with the rod length a little. I don't think its as easy as just loading tunes and hoping everything works together. Have to make minor tweaks here and there.
Stop screw came perfect from Ryan. 120 mbar differential for VCDS Charge Pressure Control test in Basic Settings, IIRC. N75 duty cycle is sitting at 25-30% at 4000 RPM in 3rd gear. Nothing wrong with rod length or the stop screw.

I won't argue that good response can be achieved w/o a boost valve, this car had that. Simply put, Mark recommended it as the tune evolved from customer feedback. And now the customer is satisfied with the tune changes - mission accomplished!

Malone is a very well respected tuner by many with good reason. I have no doubt he would make adjustments to suit anyone not wanting to have an <egad!> boost valve in their engine bay.

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
twisting words here! Make a dyno with and without a boost valve and i'll change my mind if i'm proven wrong.

Next time i'll keep my opinion to myself i think!

Sootman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Sootman, do you smoke a lot with your setup? Ihad RC tune on my 2000 and really liked it. I have been told the only way to really tune one correctly is tune on a dyno?
I smoke more than I like but have some issues that may not be directly related to my tune. People forget these are complex systems and although the tune may be ideal there re a ton of other factors, mechanical and electronic controlling our engines. I can't speak for any of the tuners but I can't imagine it's a 1 size fits all for every car. I understand how frustrating this can be but with time many of these issues can be sorted out...hell I'm still working on it myself and my current guess is that I may need to replace my head gasket because on some start-ups I get a puff of white smoke at the same time the coolant drops slightly over time. I suspect this could affect my tuning when I'm pushing 25 psi. Just a guess.

2bitthugs

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
I won't argue that good response can be achieved w/o a boost valve, this car had that. Simply put, Mark recommended it as the tune evolved from customer feedback. And now the customer is satisfied with the tune changes - mission accomplished!
True enough.

chiro05

Veteran Member
TDI
none
And I would recommend this setup to anyone! It pulls like crazy and is very fun to drive.

BBottoms

TDI
'05.5 Jetta TDI, '15 Q7 TDI
Have you had a chance to dyno your set up yet? I've got a BRM with a worn out turbo and am looking at Darkside's replacement and maybe even PD150s to go along with it.

chiro05

Veteran Member
TDI
none
No dyno yet, just seat of my pants. It drives like stock until to want to mash on it. I really like this setup and would definitely recommend it.