Gt1856 Turbo Tacoma

SirmeepsTDI

TDI
Ahu Caddy Ahu tacoma
Hey guys I have been trying to dial some tuning issues in with my new setup in my 2000 Tacoma with an AHU swap. I have a GT1856 Turbo from Mécanique Évolution, as well as FT300 nozzles, ARP head studs, 2.5 mandrel bent downpipe and exhaust, 2.5 inch intercooler piping to a small intercooler, k and N cone filter mounted to the end of the oem air box pipe, ALH style N75 and Tune from Malone. My issues are this, steady stream of black smoke behind the truck at 70mph at 3000 rpms on the freeway, small amounts of black smoke at idle with the AC on, and the truck wants to die if you floor the accelerator at 2100 rpm, it will literally blow so much black smoke that it chokes the turbo down.... Am I having a fuel delivery problem? In the tune? Is the turbo vane actuator not set correctly? I haven’t gotten hardly any Support from MEC EVo or malone and am starting to get frustrated... So I am here!!! Thanks for any help/advice!!! PS I have an EGT and boost gauge and Vag com. EGTs are at 1100 at 70mph at 3000rpms.... Boost is at 24psi. Boosts up fine if you slowly roll into the accelerator....

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
What size are the nozzle orifices? Did you get any information regarding them being mounted and balanced? 10mm stock injection pump?

What transmission is mounted to your Tacoma? Gear Ratio?

Did your tuner state they had the map for the turbo and have tuned it a couple times successfully already? Being the first to get tuned with a newer style turbo takes a lot of work (BTDT).
-You have a custom build, you should figure out if your Actuator rod is set correctly with a mity vac pump.
-
-If that's you holding steady on the throttle and it's 24psi cruising at 3000rpm, it's a bit high even for your gear ratio. I'd prefer it closer to 12psi on yours and that should lower some of that EGT. You're Possibly having some issues with the vanes.

SirmeepsTDI

TDI
Ahu Caddy Ahu tacoma
I was hoping it was an issue with the turbo vane stop, I have a mitt vac, what in-hg should the actuator start moving?
Tacoma has stock transmission from Tacoma r151, 4.88 gears in the differentials, 285/75/16 tires. Nozzles are .300,stock injection pump, only mods are:1856 turbo, arp head studs, fresh rebuild, nozzles, 2.5 downpipe, 2.5 IC pipe and IC. Malone custom tune with hardly any support from Malone or mec Evo

Boost sits at 7psi at 3000rpm at 70 mph with AC on EGt is at 1100 Fahrenheit before the turbo.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
you're running oddball injectors and an oddball hybrid turbo
you will need your tune file edited extensively, I'd really recommend buying the silver chinese reflash cable and doing the tuning yourself
you running an MAF sensor? They can make controlling smoke a lot easier than setting up the pressure based smoke maps.

On the vane setup, you set the actuator same as stock, then edit the crap out of a lot of maps to get it running correctly. I went away from vane turbos because of how much tuning work they are to get working right.

Last edited:

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
It's an ahu so have to burn chips. Supposed to be a long distance reliable 4x4 so I brought up a list of parts including a normal OEM vnt17 and reasonably sized injectors for the use case. Mentioned multiple times that 300 series race nozzles were a bit big, would smoke and require a bunch of tuning to make smoke free.

Have sent 3 sets of chips and spent at least an hour on the phone. Only just now getting a video of smoke output, no logs or emails with details when requested with every phone call :rolleyes:

SirmeepsTDI

TDI
Ahu Caddy Ahu tacoma
So I have come to the conclusion WITH the help of the guys at Malone that the injector nozzles are too big, I feel like a jerk for saying I wasn’t getting any support from them but rather I kind of forgot that I told them I was going to step the nozzle size down but never came to a conclusion of which nozzles to get... I am ready to try some new nozzles and I will be verifying today the VNT actuator is set correctly. I under stand this is an oddball setup but like Owain said I wanted to get a reliable 4x4 with decent highway ability to do long road trips. I thought that I could oversize the hardware and “tune” it back to a Medium so to speak? Obviously not the case with the nozzle size, but I feel I will leave the turbo for now and just get the correct fueling happening. Thanks for the help guys.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Good God. 0.300? I was running 764s and they are much smaller than that with a turbo much bigger than yours and I saw egts way up into the 1800 if I wanted. Malone tune helped but still was crazy.
3 things I suggest. Much bigger boost. I was at 28 for a while and 32 psi helped get the egts down and that was on a 10mm pump.
Bump your QA down to maybe 7. If your ar anything less than 4, well that's a issue for these huge nozzles with such low air.
Do you have a 4 bar map from malone? 24 is still too high for the stock one.
Move or confirm your egt gauge. 1100 sound like baby temps for that much smoke.
And please get rid of that pos K&N filter. Your maf will be dead very soon if not already. The stock air box type filter is more than enough.
Even a foam filter than belray tac air filter oil would be better than the filter style you have. It literally filters nothing. Other than big stuff and will rob you of power, and that has been proven.

Last edited:

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
the injector nozzles are too big
uhhh
unless you're talking white smoke at idle, then sure, get you an 11mm IP and that'll be a bit better
the black smoke is all down to your smoke maps (air/fuel ratio control)

SirmeepsTDI

TDI
Ahu Caddy Ahu tacoma
Good God. 0.300? I was running 764s and they are much smaller than that with a turbo much bigger than yours and I saw egts way up into the 1800 if I wanted. Malone tune helped but still was crazy.
3 things I suggest. Much bigger boost. I was at 28 for a while and 32 psi helped get the egts down and that was on a 10mm pump.
Bump your QA down to maybe 7. If your ar anything less than 4, well that's a issue for these huge nozzles with such low air.
Do you have a 4 bar map from malone? 24 is still too high for the stock one.
Move or confirm your egt gauge. 1100 sound like baby temps for that much smoke.
And please get rid of that pos K&N filter. Your maf will be dead very soon if not already. The stock air box type filter is more than enough.
Even a foam filter than belray tac air filter oil would be better than the filter style you have. It literally filters nothing. Other than big stuff and will rob you of power, and that has been proven.

SO, I am new to the power enhancement side of things, I went by what the guys at Mecanique Evolution said to purchase to achieve my goals of a reliable, fun, fastish, and MPG getter... , and I suppose that was a bad move....Anyways, I have a 3Bar Map, No MAF in the tune, and no room for a factory airbox in my Tacoma as of yet. The truck runs good, but has a terrible low end bog that I am trying to sort out. As of now the truck gets full boost (24psi) at 2500, but if I try to stab the throttle before that it will want to choke out and die. I ordered DLC 764 nozzles that should be in tomorrow. I have a smoke issue at 70MPH at 3000 RPM, seems to be a steady stream of black smoke and even more when I apply throttle... Highest EGT I have seen (with probe mounted deep into EGR plate) was 1400F at 100MPH, IQ is set at 4.8 right now..... Best MPG I have gotten so far was 30MPG, with 33'' tires, long travel suspension, and loaded with a RTT in the bed.... I was thinking I could get more MPG out of this setup with the correct nozzles as well as cure the low end bog (with the gears in the truck when I rock crawl I am way up in the rev band so its really only a high speed desert running issue where I need to kick the rear end out to get around a turn the fun way..I go watch the BAJA1000 most years...) SO I hope I'm back on the right track! I will upload some photos of the truck and the engine bay so everyone can see my set up. This is my first go at a quick diesel so be easy on me, HA! I built the truck myself minus the engine rebuild so I can change things as needed.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
you can not rely on the EGR plate to give you any sort of good reading. Some testing was done and basically unless your putting the probe in direct line of fire within 1.5" of the turbo exhaust fins, you will get horribly wrong temps. put it this way, you could easily see 600*f + your readings for being out side of the stream and too far away.
What is your HP goal?
you want that IQ WAY higher unless you have a proper defuel set up for the EGT gauge at a correct location
Oh man the things i have learned since 2005! about diesels. dont worry the AHU is forgiving. Im putting 230 HP down (was, she is in parts right now) on 764's, 32 PSI on a GT2052 with a malone custom stage 6 some porting on the head, and basically stock internals. this is why she is in parts ATM as it was too much for the poor turbo.

SirmeepsTDI

TDI
Ahu Caddy Ahu tacoma
you can not rely on the EGR plate to give you any sort of good reading. Some testing was done and basically unless your putting the probe in direct line of fire within 1.5" of the turbo exhaust fins, you will get horribly wrong temps. put it this way, you could easily see 600*f + your readings for being out side of the stream and too far away.
What is your HP goal?
you want that IQ WAY higher unless you have a proper defuel set up for the EGT gauge at a correct location
Oh man the things i have learned since 2005! about diesels. dont worry the AHU is forgiving. Im putting 230 HP down (was, she is in parts right now) on 764's, 32 PSI on a GT2052 with a malone custom stage 6 some porting on the head, and basically stock internals. this is why she is in parts ATM as it was too much for the poor turbo.
I am shooting for around 170HP, my EGT probe goes a decent way into the exhaust stream, I feel this should be adequate?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
well, i can tell you its not. do a search for this topic its been proven that it does not do a adequate job.

Drilling and tapping a EGT probe into the manifold is EASY and i dont see why you should skip this step. Also with a proper build you dont really need one, especially for 170hp.

SirmeepsTDI

TDI
Ahu Caddy Ahu tacoma
Well I am trying to post photos of my setup but couldn't figure out what to do! But I think I have it dialed? Anyways this is my first go at TIG welding and a swap of such proportions, I have the Tacoma cluster working perfectly and have spent a good amount of time working out all of the bugs in this swap. With that said I am open to changing things as they need to be; I am in no way claiming that I know a lot about this stuff, but I am excited to learn! Thank you for your input so far guys!
unnamed[1] by drew nicholson, on Flickr

unnamed[2] by drew nicholson, on Flickr

unnamed[6] by drew nicholson, on Flickr
unnamed[7] by drew nicholson, on Flickr
unnamed[8] by drew nicholson, on Flickr

Last edited:

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
well, that is not a AHU exhaust manifold. what did that come off? the AHU has the EGR port on the side way WAY far away from the turbo. your set up will work fine so disregard my concerns about it.

SirmeepsTDI

TDI
Ahu Caddy Ahu tacoma
well, that is not a AHU exhaust manifold. what did that come off? the AHU has the EGR port on the side way WAY far away from the turbo. your set up will work fine so disregard my concerns about it.
I’m actually not sure what manifold it is! It came from the guys a Mec evo and says Audi on it ha! But yes I felt the probe was in the exhaust stream enough in this configuration. Getting the new nozzles DLC 764 installed on the injectors now!

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
who did you buy them from, and did you do a hot swap with pop tuning? or are you DIY

SirmeepsTDI

TDI
Ahu Caddy Ahu tacoma
Got the nozzles from Kerma, had them swapped and pop tested at Diesel Parts of Carolina. Same day turnaround!!!! Truck is running way better now, no where near as much bog at low end, truck idles better, and no constant smoke at 70mph! Getting closer!!!