GT1749VA safe boost

@Tdi VW

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Pumpe Duse
Hello.
Can GT1749VA handle 1.6 bar as constant pressure ?

My car is daily driven.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Bit high, usually 21.5psi but some people have said theirs has been fine running that sort of boost, I think I'd look at it as a bit of a gamble. If you want to safely run that much though I think I'd look at the VB unit instead.

@Tdi VW

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Pumpe Duse
No money for new turbo for now :(
Than 1.5 will be fine i think ;)

Sent From My Galaxy S CyanogenMod 10.1

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You can easily run 170 at the crank with 21.5 psi though, maybe a touch more depending on tuner and smoke. Are you aiming for like 200 or so?

@Tdi VW

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Pumpe Duse
Im aiming for 165 hp or so
Thanks

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Wheel or crank? I made that at the crank using the stock vnt15 on the ALH running 18.5psi, bit of smoke if going up a big hill at high revs but otherwise pretty clear.

@Tdi VW

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Pumpe Duse
I dont know the crank or wheel power difference lol

If stock do 130 Hp, i want ~165 hp

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That's a good one for the 130 turbo, it's measured at the crank from the factory but it can get confusing because on here most talk about wheel hp.

Anyway you'll get that power no problem within the 21.5 psi safe limit.

@Tdi VW

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Pumpe Duse
Actualy i did a custom tune
Thanks

Alcaid

Veteran Member
TDI
See signature
Max boost is one thing but at what RPM boost is taperered off is also important not to overspool the turbo

hatemi

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A6 4F 3.0TDI
VA will tend to overboost with vanes fully open at high revs. It might die the next day or be perfectly fine with 1.8bar for a long time. 1.6bar at mid revs is ok for that turbo. But it will overboost if the fuel is there. With 165hp there should not be any problems.

Lähetetty minun GT-I9300 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

jabcok20

Veteran Member
TDI
golf mk1
I have that turbo. drive 1,5-1,6 bar with race520. I think 1.6 bar i too much for that turbo;) If you want be peaceful set it to 1,45 with 1,5bar in overboost. With 1.6 bar i think turbo have strange noise something like turbo rotor wants to fly away.

Last edited:

Ghastly

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Sedan, 2009 Jetta Wagon
Isn't the ratio the of exhaust manifold pressure (EMP) to manifold absolute pressure (MAP) a better indicator of how much boost a turbo can safely deliver? I thought that once we start implementing breathing mods, these rule of thumb guidelines are out the window?

Satiro

Veteran Member
TDI
IBIZA 1.9TDI 110hp AFN 1998
Safe boost for that turbo is not more than 1.3-1.4bar.
I had it years ago, i didn't run it over 1.3 bar for a lot of time. I sold it to a local member of a spanish forum. He ran that turbo over 1.4bar (maybe more) and after two months turbo blowed and severe engine damage occured.
For 1.5-1.6 bar of boost, go for something bigger than gt1749... i'm currently running that boost with my gt18v...

Last edited:

Alcaid

Veteran Member
TDI
See signature
GT1749VA runs 1.35bar stock... Sure you're not talking about a GT1749V?

bhodgkiss

Veteran Member
TDI
AFN Passat Wagon
My Va is running 1.5 bar and creeping to just over 1.6 at the mo, even up at 4k rpm
Just bought the car with this 'professional' remap already on, so will tweak as N75 duty cycle maxed out

Satiro

Veteran Member
TDI
IBIZA 1.9TDI 110hp AFN 1998
No, i talked about VA.
I don't know exactly what's the max safe boost, but I should not running it over 1'40bar, and specially if it is not in perfect shape. I don't say yours are not in perfect shape.

I don't like thinking all time my turbo can fail and engine damage can occur while driving at high speeds on highway for example.
It is best to stay on the safe side, specially if it's your daily driver.

If you know that 1.45bar is safe all rpms, run it and enjoy! But forget about 1.5-1.6bar.
Only my thoughs, maybe time is making me old...:D
Good luck with that turbo! i had a lot of fun with it. :)

Last edited:

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
I wouldn't push much beyond the stock. 16-18PSI would probably be what I would recommend to somebody that didn't want to replace a turbo prematurely. Plan on finding a BV43 and you will be good for more PSI/Bar

Alcaid

Veteran Member
TDI
See signature
I wouldn't push much beyond the stock. 16-18PSI would probably be what I would recommend to somebody that didn't want to replace a turbo prematurely. Plan on finding a BV43 and you will be good for more PSI/Bar
Again, this is a thread about the GT1749VA, it runs 19.6psi stock on the PD130. Mapped several of these to 21.75psi/1.5bar with lots of miles before and after with no problems what so ever.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
I've run the GT1749VA at 22PSI and wouldn't recommend it, I'm replacing my 2nd GT1749VA with a BV43.

bhodgkiss

Veteran Member
TDI
AFN Passat Wagon
People say 1.6bar for the VA and 1.7 bar for BV43 which isnt must of a gain?
In reality are we talking Va 1.5bar and BV43 1.8 bar?

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Performance improvement comes from volume not pressure

bhodgkiss

Veteran Member
TDI
AFN Passat Wagon
but downstream of the compressor, the restriction on a given engine is the same, (pipe diameters, inlet areas) so a BV43 generating 1.6bar is no better than a VA generating 1.6bar, other than better efficiency (and so lower temperatures). The pressure seen into the combustion cylinder is still the same?
So not sure what you mean? for flowrate to go up in a pipe of a fixed diameter, pressure has to go up. Hence why for 300bhp people are running ~3.0bar boost.