GT1749V on 2002 Jetta ALH TDI

cavey

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI 5-spd
The seller said that he had a mechanic check the turbo because it had been sitting for a while in a garage. The compressor wheel obstruction sounds like it is something metallic. My best guess is that some metallic component like a nut or bolt fell inside the turbo from the time the mechanic inspected it to the time I received it.

Last edited:

Lensdude_com

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 MK4 Jetta (ALH) "Betty" (sold), 2005 MK4 Jetta (BEW) "Stinky-Pete"
...a canon lens tech lost his contact lens in the lens I sent in for regular clean/lube/adj. After I shipped it back to them they found the contact lens and shipped me a new replacement for an 8 y.o lens :)

cavey

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI 5-spd
So, after consulting with the TDI guru mechanic, I went with is suggestion on not trying to make a problematic used turbo work. I returned that and ended up buying a new GT1749V(B) with the 1 3/8" ALH hose adapter from AARodriguez's fixmyvw.com site. I also got in some new vacuum hoses and misc. parts. And, I'm arranging for acquisition of a Panzer skid plate through the guru mechanic, who was already about to purchase one for his own vehicle.

Not until after I ordered the vacuum hoses did I realize that silicone hoses would be more durable than rubber-based hoses, but I'll swap out the new stock hoses for silicone, perhaps, in a few years.

I didn't yet order any new injector nozzles, but in the future when I'm ready to pay for tuning, I'll buy nozzles then. For that eventuality I was considering either .205 Bosio Sprint 520, or .214 Bosio Sprint Power Plus 520 nozzles, if they wouldn't adversely affect fuel economy or boost power to the point where I would have to upgrade the clutch. But, I don't know at this point which nozzle would be best.

First thing's first, though.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
Wise decision. I'm tickled to death with my PP764 set at stage 1 POP. They work quiet well with a Malone stage 1.5 and the stock VNT15. They will also accomodate the hybrid 17-22 in my future and like most mods,don't hurt fuel mileage unless my right foot gets too heavy.

cavey

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI 5-spd
Wise decision. I'm tickled to death with my PP764 set at stage 1 POP. They work quiet well with a Malone stage 1.5 and the stock VNT15. They will also accomodate the hybrid 17-22 in my future and like most mods,don't hurt fuel mileage unless my right foot gets too heavy.
Did the Malone 1.5 tune improve your mpgs much? Or, if not, was that offset by your PP764s? I notice the PP764s are recommended VNT-17 or 17/22 for 150-210 hp. Are they too much for a stock VNT15?

Last edited: