GT1749V on 2002 Jetta ALH TDI

cavey

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI 5-spd
GT1749V turbo on a 2002 Jetta ALH TDI

My stock VNT-15 turbo on my 2002 Jetta ALH TDI is on its last legs and so I had been looking for a replacement. I ended up purchasing a Garrett GT1749V turbo with an ALH compatible manifold as an intended replacement. Before buying I had read in several places that the GT1749V was an updated version of the VNT-15, but when I looked up the years of the Jetta that the GT1749V can be installed on, there was no year listed before the 2003.5 model, which, I realize is a PD model. Can someone confirm for me whether or not the GT1749V would work on my 2002, which is non-PD? And, if so, what adjustments, if any, I would need to make.

Thanks!

Last edited:

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
The GT1749V is a 110HP European turbo and with a tune and injectors will yield you about 140 HP nicely streetable for a daily. It is a slightly larger VNT-15 similar in size to a GT1749VA found on the BHW passats. Before you upgrade your turbo alone, strongly advise talking to Malone about a stage 1.5 tune. Stock nozzles will moot your other mods and probably hold you back. If you want 150+, you need to look at a bigger turbo (vnt17/22 or larger), nozzles, tune and a heavier clutch. I'm debating on what turbo to go with my 2003 golf with a Malone 1.5, PP 764 and Malone's dynamic EGR (sweet). Let us know which way you go or PM me. Where did you get your turbo?

Last edited:

AARodriguez Corp.

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2009 JSW and Golf 2004 TDI
I thought the GT1749V is the stock VNT15? The GT1749VA is a slight upgrade.
These turbos are no longer made (stopped a long time ago)
GT1749VA
GT1749VB
GT1749VC

The GT1749V that is now available is all the same specs as what used to be the GT1749VB and it is good for about 170 whp.

If you see a GT1749VB listed for sale on a website, the VB is listed for search engine results only. You will not find a new turbo from Garrett that says GT1749VB on it.

Last edited:

cavey

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI 5-spd
Last edited:

cavey

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI 5-spd
Right, I only expected to have compatible VNT-15 replacement, I wasn't expecting any significant upgrade. Although, even with the original GT1749V turbo there is a greater compressor wheel diameter vs the VNT-15... 49mm vs 46mm. Not sure how that will affect performance, or compatibility with the original tune.

BTW, I actually bought the turbo off of the parallel ebay listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141210517699

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Yes, it looks like he bought a vnt15, but no

A new turbo with the model number GT1749V is a true VNT17 turbo, capable of 170WHP. Current GT1749V can have a part number of 778445-5002S
Who cares about a new turbo? We're talking about a used GT1749V (aka vnt15) off a '03 ALH...

Lensdude_com

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 MK4 Jetta (ALH) "Betty" (sold), 2005 MK4 Jetta (BEW) "Stinky-Pete"
I like the seller's explanation of compressor wheel size change occurring sometime between MY 2000-2003.
Looks like a sweet deal for a VNT-15 v2 (GT1749V)

cavey

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI 5-spd
I care. It needs to be specified that what used to be a GT1749 isn't the same as what you get now if you buy a GT1749V.
The overarching problem, to me seems that there is such a confusing progression of model numbers for the Garrett turbos, which unfortunately, makes the distinction between "new" GT1749V and "original" GT1749V relevant.

Last edited:

cavey

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI 5-spd
But back to some of my previously mentioned questions. Can someone confirm whether I should get new gaskets? Also can anyone speak to the effect of the 49mm vs 46mm compressor wheel diameter differential?

Last edited:

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
I wouldn't touch it. Get one from our trusted vendors at about 3x the price and 10x the quality.
Will this line fit an ALH? If so, that's significantly cheaper than others.
That larger compressor wheel on your 1749v is why it's the same as the 110hp European TDI like I said earlier. Maybe Andrew will pipe in about using it with no other mods.

AARodriguez Corp.

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2009 JSW and Golf 2004 TDI
I wouldn't touch it. Get one from our trusted vendors at about 3x the price and 10x the quality.

That larger compressor wheel on your 1749v is why it's the same as the 110hp European TDI like I said earlier. Maybe Andrew will pipe in about using it with no other mods.
I'm tempted to buy one just to check it out...but I did see this and didn't like it...
Item location: Ca.,Tokyo, Taiwan (Warehouse of Nickel Sport), Japan
I'm not going to sell it any time soon.

cavey

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI 5-spd
I'm tempted to buy one just to check it out...but I did see this and didn't like it...

Item location: Ca.,Tokyo, Taiwan (Warehouse of Nickel Sport), Japan
I'm not going to sell it any time soon.
I had some reservations too, but the feedback on ebay from this seller has been fairly positive. From my initial visual inspection of the feed line I received, it looks like it's good quality to me.

If you try out this feed line, please post back about your own experience.

cavey

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI 5-spd
So, I received the turbo, and without the turbo being installed yet and not under vacuum, the compressor wheel will only turn a slight amount in either rotational direction. Is this normal? Or should the compressor wheel spin freely even when the turbo is not installed?

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
That's seriously bad news. It should spin nice and free.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk

cavey

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI 5-spd
Here is a video of what is happening: http://youtu.be/WxzvygsJTWQ

The compressor wheel turns a little but hits an obstruction.

It looks like I'm going to have to challenge the seller to get my money back. At least I bought this over ebay. Hopefully that will give me some leverage and protection.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
yeah, that's bad :eek:

same thing happen if you try to turn the exhaust wheel i assume?

cavey

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI 5-spd
Yes, the same thing happens with turning the exhaust wheel and it being obstructed.

For everyone here, please take note that the seller uses the moniker Peach State TDI on this forum.

I have sent a message to him on ebay. Waiting to hear back. If I don't hear back soon, I will escalate this. And if I have to I'll call my credit card company and report fraud.

cavey

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI 5-spd
Yes, the same thing happens with turning the exhaust wheel and it being obstructed.

For everyone here, please take note that the seller uses the moniker Peach State TDI on this forum.

I have sent a message to him on ebay. Waiting to hear back. If I don't hear back soon, I will escalate this. And if I have to I'll call my credit card company and report fraud.
So I talked with the seller, he had a mechanic check out the turbo before he sent it to me, and it had been working. It seems that probably something fell inside the turbo during packaging or shipment. I don't think he had any kind of ill intent to sell me something that didn't work. He agreed to pay to have my local tdi guru open the turbo up and see what is inside. I don't think the turbo was ever run with the obstruction that's in there now.

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels
How long was the turbo sitting and in what conditions. These things do stiffen up from rust. Any mud wasps use the oil passge to house its offspring?