Grr during oil change at dealer

Reichard

TDI
Passat GLS 2005 Silver
Called local dealer as usual and scheduled an oil change and specifically told the service writer to use VW 507 oil.

After waiting over an hour in the lounge, my service was complete. The service invoice listed the part# for 505.01 and not 507.

I told the clerk that I requested 507 -- his reply was that 507 was not the correct oil for my TDI and that 505.01 "black bottle" is specified in the latest TSB from VW. Around and around we go til I ran out of patience and time.

All the more reasons to do my own oil changes in the future...

truav8r

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL TDI Silver Auto
Reason #22 to do your own maintenance, if at all possible. I only take my car to the dealer when something very major is wrong or for state inspections, and even then I do it kicking and screaming.

You should see the notes I type up for the dealer for something as simple as the yearly state inspection. #1 on that list is always "DO NOT TOUCH ANY FLUIDS!" :D

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
I would fight them on the charges. You told them what you wanted and they did something else. If they had a concern, they should have told you before they did the work, not after.

Mine only goes to the dealer for recalls and the one instruction is do not wash it! They wash all the cars for free with a nice dirty broom looking thing...

whyfish

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW TDI Wagon auto. transmission
Another Idea

If you don't have the tools or the inclination to change your own oil and need to take the vehicle into the stealership for this service, you could provide your own oil for them to use for the OC.

I like Mobil 1 TDT 05-40w fully synthetic. I have an ALH engine, but I think, not sure though, that the Mobil 1 is compatible with the PD engine in the 2006 TDI.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
whyfish said:
Mobil 1 TDT 05-40w fully synthetic. I have an ALH engine, but I think, not sure though, that the Mobil 1 is compatible with the PD engine in the 2006 TDI.
Not even close... owners of PD engine TDIs can kiss their warranty goodbye... (Of course, the warranty is largely useless, but still...) 505.01 spec or better...

Yuri.

MrMopar

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none
I don't know what the laws in PA are. I'd have refused to pay. You engaged in a contract for a specified service, and the dealership did not perform that service. If you paid via credit card, you can request a refund from the card company. With the Fair Credit Reporting Act, the car companies are obligated to issue a full refund for services that are not delivered.

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
The only way would to have been watch him write customer request 507 on the work order.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I told the clerk that I requested 507 -- his reply was that 507 was not the correct oil for my TDI and that 505.01 "black bottle" is specified in the latest TSB from VW. Around and around we go til I ran out of patience and time.

All the more reasons to do my own oil changes in the future...

Did that oil change void your warranty? Did you get a copy of the TSB? If you got a copy, can you post it here?

whyfish

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW TDI Wagon auto. transmission
Reply to YMZ

I'm glad I don't have the PD engine in my A4 wagon, otherwise I would have been way out of compliance with my warranty. Like I said, "I think....."
Anyway, thanks for the clarification.

MrMopar

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none
wjdell said:
The only way would to have been watch him write customer request 507 on the work order.
Nah, you can just take the car. Service shops are under the legal obligation to not perform repairs and services that the customer has not agreed to. This prevents all the dealerships in america doing a fuel injection cleaning service on every car that comes in for an oil change, and then holding the car until the owner pays. If they won't give you your keys back, call the police in a very public manner from their showroom - make sure you are within earshot of many customers.

Last edited:

bakdoor

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta, 2006 Jetta (gone), 1999 Jetta-blue (gone,) 1999 Jetta-green (gone)
Oh, man...I don't wanna be hearing this, esp since (I think) Reichard and I use the same stealership...dude, did this injustice occur in Larksville?:rolleyes:

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
Did they even have the 507 on hand? My local stealership tried to tell me that it wasn't approved for my 06 either.... so I bought a case, took it to them with the VW part number (since they can't seem to even get any 507) and told them if they didn't get my oil sample this time I was never coming back...

I'll do it myself after my 40k DSG service but until then, they can do all the checking and changing they want.

ofhs93

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GL, 99.5, Silver
hevster1 said:
What dealership in NEPA?
My bet would be Wyoming Valley Motos due to where he lives/works. Though from prior experience I would NOT trust Kelly VW (in Scranton) in this regard either.

If your in NEPA and you need TDI service beyond what you can do personally then either Jason (TDIJetta99) or Dennis (Metalman) are the people to call. Obviously Hervster was as well. We have 2 of the better TDI mechanics on the east coast within about an hour of almost anywhere in NEPA....it's a luxury we should not take lightly :) Treat your TDI guru nicely and fairly....or he will no longer be available the next time you, or anyone else for that matter, needs him.

Last edited:

07six-o

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI
Maybe I am wrong but the original poster has a PD car so he has to use 505 01 right. I have a 2006 PD jetta TDI and The dealer has allways put castrol 505 01. Why would someone want to put the wrong oil in there car. Please help me if I missed something.

Lonnie

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
07six-o said:
Why would someone want to put the wrong oil in there car. Please help me if I missed something.
Who says that the 507 spec oil is the wrong oil for this car ?? Apparently, the dealer - who in this case probably doesn't know as much as the car owner... Many around here have concluded that the last place you wish to find out about your car is at the dealer's...

Yuri.

07six-o

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI
ymz said:
Who says that the 507 spec oil is the wrong oil for this car ?? Apparently, the dealer - who in this case probably doesn't know as much as the car owner... Many around here have concluded that the last place you wish to find out about your car is at the dealer's...

Yuri.
so I can use the 507 00 oil too? I looked in my owners manual and it did not say anything about 507 00 just 505 01?

Lonnie

07six-o

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI
What is the difference in 505 01 and 507 00 oils? Why is the 507 00 so much better than the 505 01?

Lonnie

airwolf

Veteran Member
TDI
None
07six-o said:
What is the difference in 505 01 and 507 00 oils? Why is the 507 00 so much better than the 505 01?

Lonnie
Search around this forum a bit. You will find enough discussion on 505.01 vs. 507 that you will not run out of bed time reading material.

FWIW, I asked about 507 at my local dealer and got a confused look back from the parts guy. "I/We have never heard of that, 505.01 is what you need." At least they knew what was required.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
Lonnie-
507 supercedes 505.01. It is an spec made specifically for DPF equipped cars using only ULSD. Your manual would not make mention of it because it doesn't directly apply to your car. The manuals for the tdi's that will go on sale this year SHOULD specify 507.

507 can be used in place of 505.01.

07six-o

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI
tditom said:
Lonnie-
507 supercedes 505.01. It is an spec made specifically for DPF equipped cars using only ULSD. Your manual would not make mention of it because it doesn't directly apply to your car. The manuals for the tdi's that will go on sale this year SHOULD specify 507.

507 can be used in place of 505.01.
So its like the low ash oil that they have out now for my powerstroke cj-4. Now its starting to make more since, Thanks

Lonnie

07six-o

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI
Who makes the 507 00 oil? I looked up castrol and they dont list it so who makes this oil?

Lonnie

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Castrol does too, labeled as VW Long life III 507. ELF makes some as well. Check the oil lists for 507 oils. Mobil might make some as well I think. Pictures around here somewhere as well. Lots of reading here going back for about 2 years.

rixtory

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf TDI GLS Black
Was in my local dodge/VW Stealership for a warranty issue on my 35,000 mile Dakota. The Transmission seal was leaking. When I called first, they asked if I did the service. I said I wasn't aware it needed a 30K tranny service. They said yes and even though it is under warranty, it will cost $199 to service it since I never did the 30K service.
I do all my own maint and keep good records, so I pulled out my OM and the first Tranny service is at 75K miles.
I went in for my appointment and when they very kindly said I missed my 30K service and there would be a charge for it, I whipped out my owners manual and asked them to point to the tranny service. The manager looked for a minute and then said, "we don't go by that....We go by the brochure there in front of the register." "That is the dealer recommended service interval.
I then said loudly - "Did you get a letter???? Because I didn't get a letter from Daimler Chrysler telling me that missing a dealer recommended service interval would void my warranty."
They kindly and gently explained that I should follow their intervals if I care about my vehicle - I very firmly explained that I am not here to buy anything, but to receive the warranty service that I paid dearly for when buying a new vehicle (It is never a free ride).
They reluctantly agreed, but I later felt like a leper in the waiting room because I had to raise my voice to avoid them stealing from me.

Last edited:

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
rixtory said:
(snip) I later felt like a leper in the waiting room because I had to raise my voice to avoid them stealing from me.
__. Leper or hero?!?!? I think you did a good job.

Reichard

TDI
Passat GLS 2005 Silver
Mrrogers1 said:
Did they even have the 507 on hand? My local stealership tried to tell me that it wasn't approved for my 06 either.... so I bought a case, took it to them with the VW part number (since they can't seem to even get any 507) and told them if they didn't get my oil sample this time I was never coming back...

I'll do it myself after my 40k DSG service but until then, they can do all the checking and changing they want.
I don't think they had 507 on hand. At first I was told that the 505.01 was "on the rail" meaning some type of overhead piping system as opposed to a drum.

I asked to see a bottle of 507 and they were not able to produce one.

JoeBleed

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2005 A4, Reflex Silver
Reichard said:
I told the clerk that I requested 507 -- his reply was that 507 was not the correct oil for my TDI and that 505.01 "black bottle" is specified in the latest TSB from VW.
Ah, all the castrol 505.01 i ever bought came in silver/gray botles. Only "black bottle" i can guess they used was the 505.00 Syntec. Which is defentaly not correct. I would be more concerned.

instead of going back and directly acuesing them of using syntec. go ask the same clerk to see the bottle of the kind they used and see what he/she brings you and go from there. If they show any doubt, i would want it corected imedetly with good proof they used the correct oil.

TDI
2004 golf
IIRC, the new 505.01 comes in black bottles, no longer grey bottled TXT.

I had a parts guy admit to me, "we dont know about cars, parts, we just give the technicians the parts they ask for"

Reminds me the the salesman telling my cousin her 15 inch avus stock wheels were "GTI rims".... after I told her NOT to go to that ripoff dealer.