///// Group Buy -- 5 speed to 6 Speed Add on gear (MK IV) /////

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
Hi All ,

Not sure where to post this so here it is ....

I've been agonizing for seemingly eons over either switching to a 6 speed Trans set up OR "simply" adding the 6th gear to my existing 02J tranny

After much thought , I decided to go for the 6th gear add on (simply because my trans in known to me to be in good shape and the fact that I've already recently (well within the last 160K (yeah that's recent since I mostly drive highway) done a clutch / axles and din''t want the headache of sourcing foreign parts for things like starters , axles etc.... should they wear out in the future and need replacing om short notice since I drive my car for work.

Anyways, I though I would see if anybody else wanted to try to start a group buy on these ....

Maybe if we get enough potential buyers we can get a discount on the price of the kit and / or a break on shipping ?

So having said all that ..... Anybody else interested in getting a 6 speed add on kit ?

C'mon you KNOW you WANT to !

FWIW I'm not in a super big hurry to order BUT I am shooting to place an order (oe at least my order) by or around July.

Andrew

edgewatertom

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta 5spd GLS; 2010 Jetta 6spd; 2003 Golf 2DR 5spd; 2016 GMC Canyon 2.8DuraMAX
So let's get a hard count and see where we are.

I'm in for 1 it and maybe 2 if that gets us over the line.

See if Radim will give you a hard shipping cost to 21037 for 10.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
So let's get a hard count and see where we are.

I'm in for 1 it and maybe 2 if that gets us over the line.

See if Radim will give you a hard shipping cost to 21037 for 10.
HI,

Sounds good .... I'll try to ask him that in a bit...

Kind of ironic that a thread specifically trying to get a group buy together is the last place to look for a group buy HA .... seems like there is a fair amount of interest tho so that's good ....

I'll update when I get more info .....

Thanks

Andrew

PS - I'm in for 1 for sure .....

Last edited:

edgewatertom

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta 5spd GLS; 2010 Jetta 6spd; 2003 Golf 2DR 5spd; 2016 GMC Canyon 2.8DuraMAX
Is there anyone else serious about getting one of these kits?
I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger.

Andrew, maybe you can ask the mods to move this to the Group Buy section.

Last edited:

tbones

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon tdi, 1991 Corrado TDI (sold)1983 Vanagon 7pass.GL 1.6td 1982 Westy;THE PHOENIX 1.6na(NOW JX/5speed) my partner's 2014 Jetta Sportwagon 6spd manual AND MY NEW TOY/PROJECT... Sunny, a bright yellow 87 syncro Westy with 1Z TDI motor
I just purchased an entire vehicle to get a 5 to 6 sped converted trans for my B4 (96 passat), this group buy wouldnt work for what I just purchased I assume?
regards,
Steve

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
Hi

I have been pretty busy with work latey and almost forgot about my 6-speed ambitions but I'm definitely interested in it.

I'm going to try to follow up again with the company.

I think there was something I was supposed to be looking into but I'm not sure I heard back from them or maybe I forgot to email them ...

I'll double check everything and see what can go on to move this process forward for people who want to buy the kit

I'm definitely in for one just have to find a person to install it!

Andrew

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
I've installed a taller 4th & 5th .316 ring & pinion in my 02J 5-speed, and I do 2200 rpm at 80mph, I have no gap between gears now, I never been a fan of an extra gear,

edgewatertom

Veteran Member
TDI
Looks like the interest in this is minimal at best. I'll give it a few more days and then will most likely go it alone.

Camel413

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat Wagen Totaled, 95 Passat GLX future conversion
Looks like the interest in this is minimal at best. I'll give it a few more days and then will most likely go it alone.
edgewatertom did you end up going it alone or is this group buy still a possiblity? I am looking to purchase a kit soon. Would love to save money on a group buy but if its not going to happen I will just order one or two kits myself.

edgewatertom

Veteran Member
TDI
Unfortunately I went it alone. Make sure you understand the bank and import fees, they add up quick.

markdave

TDI
tdi 1.6
Hi All ,

Not sure where to post this so here it is ....

I've been agonizing for seemingly eons Showbox jiofi.local.html tplinklogin over either switching to a 6 speed Trans set up OR "simply" adding the 6th gear to my existing 02J tranny

After much thought , I decided to go for the 6th gear add on (simply because my trans in known to me to be in good shape and the fact that I've already recently (well within the last 160K (yeah that's recent since I mostly drive highway) done a clutch / axles and din''t want the headache of sourcing foreign parts for things like starters , axles etc.... should they wear out in the future and need replacing om short notice since I drive my car for work.

Anyways, I though I would see if anybody else wanted to try to start a group buy on these ....

Maybe if we get enough potential buyers we can get a discount on the price of the kit and / or a break on shipping ?

So having said all that ..... Anybody else interested in getting a 6 speed add on kit ?

C'mon you KNOW you WANT to !

FWIW I'm not in a super big hurry to order BUT I am shooting to place an order (oe at least my order) by or around July.

Andrew
I do 2200 rpm at 80mph, I have no gap between gears now, I never been a fan of an extra gear,

Last edited:

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I just purchased an entire vehicle to get a 5 to 6 sped converted trans for my B4 (96 passat), this group buy wouldnt work for what I just purchased I assume?
regards,
Steve
On a B4 yes the group buy would work because it's designed for the 02A / 02J transmissions, which covers the B4 TDI cars.

I'm not sure what car you purchased that has a 6 speed in it but there are some incompatibilities between the TDI 6 speeds and the older cars, namely the VSS, which on newer products is handled by the CANbus system, that doesn't exist on the older TDI cars. And there's no provision for a trans mounted speed sensor either.

Steve

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
Unfortunately I went it alone. Make sure you understand the bank and import fees, they add up quick.
I missed this thread originally. Can you give us an update? Would love to hear what you think of the kit and hear about the install, driving impressions, or anything else you'd be willing to share.

bigsexyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 NB, '04 Jetta
I missed this thread originally. Can you give us an update? Would love to hear what you think of the kit and hear about the install, driving impressions, or anything else you'd be willing to share.
I think everybody missed this thread or else he would have likely gotten more interest... 😬

edgewatertom

Veteran Member
TDI
Unfortunately it's still sitting on the shelf...along with a brand new transmission and clutch. My son found out the hard way he's not that good of a driver and put it almost nose first into an embankment. Yep it's totaled. I picked up an 03 rust free gasser with a blown motor and will be moving everything over including the wiring harness. It'll be fun they said. 🤣 I couldn't believe the frickin pinch welds under the rocker panels are still straight on the gasser. Anyway, it's on the fun list and not the priority list...so hopefully this winter/spring.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
Unfortunately it's still sitting on the shelf...along with a brand new transmission and clutch. My son found out the hard way he's not that good of a driver and put it almost nose first into an embankment. Yep it's totaled. I picked up an 03 rust free gasser with a blown motor and will be moving everything over including the wiring harness. It'll be fun they said. 🤣 I couldn't believe the frickin pinch welds under the rocker panels are still straight on the gasser. Anyway, it's on the fun list and not the priority list...so hopefully this winter/spring.
Oh no! I hope he's ok!

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
3.16 ring and pinion and .658 taller 5th gear gets you there, I don't like to have that extra gear,