Groundhog snowcano 2011

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
Hope everybody else out there is safe! It's still coming down hard as the morning light breaks to uncover the monochrome horrors of our new Hoth-like existence.

Despite closures of I-80, I-94, I-43, I-57 & Lake Shore Drive as well as either declared or de-facto county wide closures of Lake, Will, Kane & DeKalb, I still see morons slogging their way through the 44 cm snow on the street. We've got drifts halfway up the garage door and nearly covering the Weber grill in the backyard or the fire hydrant across the street.

Despite a few blinks last night and 5 major peals of nearby lightning & thunder, all our utilities remain up (methane, electrons, internets, satellite TV (BIG UPS TO DISH INSTALLERS WHO DID IT RIGHT THIS TIME!) and water). Work's closed due to weather for the first time in a hojillion years and I'm glad to be safely at home!

Jon Linn

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 New Beetle 160,000 miles
I think we got about 12" total for the storm; which is a lot less than they predicted. We got more freezing rain and ice pellets over night than snow.

My works been closed to for the second time in 5 years.
Be safe...

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
We made it through the night with no real issues. But you should have seen my garage door flex in the wind! It would bow in I bet a good two maybe three inches (how many CM is that?). I ended up getting some wood and backing the Expedition up agains the door to keep it from flexing in, damn 16' doors.

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
2015 NMS Passat SE TDI "Gin" 2006 A5 New Jetta TDI "Graycie" and 2003 A4 Jetta GLS TDI "Liath"
Volks:

I lucked out, sort of. Normally I have drifts across my driveway after it snows, but this time the wind was going a different direction and most of the driveway was clear of snow. Unfortunately it just drifted in different locations and made new challenges for snow removal/stacking this time. Oh well, makes me glad I picked up a 10HP 2 stage snowblower at an estate sale a few months back.

Dan

KCTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg
We got 18-20" here, just spent 5hours on the skid steer cleaning my driveways. Now the neighbors are calling. At least we didn't get the 40MPH winds they were predicting. And I-70 is open again after being closed all the way across Missouri.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
We got screwed... hardly anything worth mentioning here. Mostly sleet, which ended up like cold, heavy sand on the roads, and probably only a couple inches of it at that.

The media hyped it up so much though that hardly anything is even open now. At least I got some stuff done to MY cars. Yesterday got the rear main seal in the Vanagon, and today the Golf got a new driver's door latch, new metal regulator clips, new mirror switch, and new mirror glass. :)

StoBro2

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen
We probably got around 2 feet of snow total from this storm (61 cm). There are areas around my house where the snow-lactites from the roof just about meet the snow-lagmites (drifts) from the ground. My driveway was at about 3' deep from the garage door to the street. The 70 mph wind gusts caused a lot of extra-large drifts right up to the foundation. I had to kick the storm door several times to get it to open wide enough to slip through and start the 4-hour shoveling session. It's the snow-pocalypse! A snow-nami!

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
20F here in Houston this morning and my hose bib on the rear deck has a small leak and formed and icicle a foot long!!:eek:

9F in Dallas and some light snow and freezing rain.:p

We have rolling blackouts in Houston today due to so many people with electric heat having to actually use it. CenterPoint had three schools with no power! Kids went home.

It was 76F here Monday and I changed the oil in the Lexus after work. I filled up the kid's Chevy 9C1 Impala as I have been driving it since she has the Passat for her long drive to work (yes! a job!!;):cool:). The Imp got 19.96 MPG for the last tank, which was all local driving.:cool:

I don't really miss Connecticut yet.

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
I feel left out, anyone care to post some pics? :eek:
I did a time lapse of my backyard from 01:00 through 09:00 this morning, unfortunately I missed the hardest lake effect snow that fell from about 08:00 through nearly noon. EDIT: click on the image below to check out the video.

Last edited:

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
Here's some from my house....we got between 9 and 13 inches depending on which way the wind was blowing at your particular address.

My trusty F250 diesel 2wd that can get stuck in a sand box :p

My diesel Tempo....

My Labradoodle that stands 36" at the ears....

And my boot print off my front steps...

Lastly, here is my hot rod Jetta all ready for work then they called it off again :rolleyes:...

Last edited:

Jethro

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 1.9
Normally these winter storms DUMP on us and leave the rest of NM mainly untouched.
Been the exact opposite. We haven't gotten more than 3" total, but the larger cities (at far lower elevations) have gotten upwards of 12" of snow.

It sure has been cold as all hell. -6°F at 7AM when I came into work. It's still only 5°F and it's been sunny most of the day!
I'm driving my Ram, not that I'm worried about Aryan starting, worried about some idiot sliding into it.

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
You guys will hate me. Took the jon boat out to the inlet this afternoon for a quickie ride. Temp was about 65F, sunny, breezy. Going down to 30's tonight so had to get it while I could.

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
I feel left out, anyone care to post some pics? :eek:
I had a bit of a prank pulled on me... roomate went out last night and shoveled his side of the driveway behind my truck. By morning it just looked like a drift...

Ha, ha, he got me. :rolleyes:

Here's what wind and snow did to the front of his nissan:

Here's the pile of snow he made me last night:

And here's me with a broken back. Yep, this is funny stuff.

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
I woke up with 5-6 foot drifts in my driveway, with snow drifted about the same height all around the house. As of this writing, they still don't have my street plowed out. They've got the main road plowed, but not the side street that my driveway is on. Spent all day on the driveway and I'm still not done clearing it out. Completely ran out of gas for the snowthrower.

manual_tranny

TDI
I bought this car planning to restore it a couple months ago. It sat outside on the farm through the storm. Before starting it to move into the garage where it will get a new timing belt/shocks/ball joints/lcas/etc... I lifted the hood to make sure everything was good (no mice, etc) and to my surprise...

:eek::eek::eek:
what the hell? I guess it must have been a bit windy! ALL this snow entered from underneath the car and the front vent. Holy smokes.

The timing belt change was slightly delayed... :rolleyes:

manual_tranny

TDI
I cleared the snow out by hand- it was not packed in tight like it looks, but was light and fluffy. I took a small wager that the timing belt path was not packed with snow... there was no other way to move it in the garage. Started up fine and she's all melted off now.

woofie2

Veteran Member
TDI
Former TDI owner
I bought this car planning to restore it a couple months ago. It sat outside on the farm through the storm. Before starting it to move into the garage where it will get a new timing belt/shocks/ball joints/lcas/etc... I lifted the hood to make sure everything was good (no mice, etc) and to my surprise...

:eek::eek::eek:
what the hell? I guess it must have been a bit windy! ALL this snow entered from underneath the car and the front vent. Holy smokes.

The timing belt change was slightly delayed... :rolleyes:
MoGolf was recounting a winter trip where he had this happen when driving, the snow screen got clogged, and the secondary spring baffle opened covering the air filter with snow immediately and stalling his motor.