Grinding going into third gear

dustingebhardt

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportswagen TDI (sold)
I have a 2010 JSW TDI w/ 6 speed manual trans. For the past few months, I'm noticed my MT6 grinding when I shift into third gear. I'm not pushing it or forcing it, and the clutch pedal is down all the way. Even my wife commented on it when she drove it recently. The clutch feels normal, like it disengages/engages about halfway through the pedal motion. My car has 60k miles on it, and I changed the transfluid with VW fluid at 40k. At that time I had wanted to grab a sample to send to Blackstone Labs, but the plug came all of the way out and I had to replace the entire fill.

Severn Wes

TDI
2011 Golf TDI 2 Door Manual
Maybe a bad synchronizer for 3rd gear? Does it grind every time you shift into third? A quick google search indicates it could be a bad syncro, i.e. if it grinds in one gear only, indicates bad syncro, if it grinds in all or many gears, and is hard getting into gear, it is indicative of the clutch not disengaging.

Last edited:

TDI_Timmy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW, DSG, Pano
I am leaning towards a bad synchro too. Although, I am wondering if a misaligned shift lever/fork could cause something similar.

dpg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI, 2010 JSW - retired
I am leaning towards a bad synchro too. Although, I am wondering if a misaligned shift lever/fork could cause something similar.
If you downshift going into 3rd by matching revs does it still grind?

boomvang

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Sportwagen
I have noticed the same thing, but only if I shift less deliberately, but still not exactly speed shifting. It does not grind on downshifts, but I think it should not grind at all.